2009 Starcraft SF14 LLW performance estimate?

I have a 2009 Starcraft 14' Sport Fisherman
2008. 25 hp Mercury 4 stroke EFI motor
prop pitch is 11, diameter of 9.5"

Can anyone provide me an educated guess on top speed I should expect?
Normal load will be (2) adults, (2) batteries, (6) gallons of gas, fishing gear, estimate of 700 pounds total

Last edited:
It presently runs at 18 to 20. In another post, I have pictures of bottom corrosion.
If 25 MPH should be my top speed, would the bottom corrosion cause a 20% reduction in speed?
What are the other possible solutions to increase speed? Prop? Make sure maximum rpm is achieved?
The motor has a " whale tail" installed ( I purchased the boat from a charity, no conversation with previous owner), as I understand, the whale tail helps it get on plane? Effect of whale tail on speed?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Weight and how it's distributed is a huge factor in boat speed especially when dealing with smaller boats/motors. Props on small boats and motors are very limited, since you have a good size loadout I wouldn't think increasing prop pitch would be a benefit.

The best you can expect from a certain boat is having it at max HP or close to it, exceeding max HP though is not a good idea, you pretty much have what you have unless you go bigger.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is your prop in good condition? Hyrdrofoil (whale tail) is to help get you on plain faster and keep the bow from porpoising. I doubt it is causing lack of speed, but I?m no expert either. You could always just try running with it off to find out.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
I reach similar speeds as you in my 14' fishing boat with a 2008 4 stroke Suzuki. I also carry about the same amount of weight. That speed to me seems normal. If you could lighten up your load you'd gain a bit of speed. My Dart is rated for 40hp but I don't need that much

I live on the lake, dock at my house. Speed of 18 to 20 is plenty. My concern is the corrosion, is it truly an issue, or just appearance?
There is no obviously easy way to strip off the waterline and below portion of the boat and repaint. Marinas in the area don't want to power wash (sand / water blast), much less then prime and paint a small boat.
I'm happy to do the work myself, but how? First I need to remove the motor (the steering and throttle controls is a concern), then turn the boat over, again not an easy task.
I'll figure it out, thanks to all that contribute.

syonker

Cadet
I have a 14' SFLW with a 15 Honda.

With 2 batteries, a 5 gallon fuel tank, a full livewll running solo I hit 15-17mph SOG accorinding to my GPS.

I would expect hitting 20-23mph with a 25hp outboard.