My first attempt at a restoration

Decker83

Commander
That was a lot of sanding you did.. Looks good.. I'd use the stripper for the bottom.. There is a ton of rivets on the bottom to sand around..
Keep up the good work and you'll be doing the woodworking before you know it.:D

macsmith777

Seaman
Sooo, I could strip the bottom and power wash, my concern would be the stripper getting all over the gravel driveway with us owning dogs.. Is this a concern, or can I just hose it all down? It would certainly be easier.. Lay on a nice coat, and then come back in 1/2 hour with the washer. Advice, anyone?

Decker83

Commander
They make a water soluble stripper. I used it on my trailer a few years back and had no ill effects on my dog..

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow Mac you are really making head way on the boat, nice looking donor boat as well :) lol i am still trying to figure out a new knee brace on my, i want it strong so i never have this problem again, i am thinking 1/4" aluminum plate to make it out of.

macsmith777

Seaman
I would go that route.. If you need any measurements, let me know. I am sanding inside today, prolly not all the way to aluminum, but a good prep job. Then I flip and remove paint from bottom. Oh the joy!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I used the Jasco stripper on my lawn and then once it dried up ran the mower over with a bag on to suck up the dried paint chips. I wet the grass pretty good after to dilute the stuff just in case but it didn't hurt the grass at all but cleaning vinegar on the other hand was like Round Up.

macsmith777

Seaman
No Title

So good progress today.. The pics don't show a lot, but I gave the inside a once over with the sander (not going to bare aluminum there) so it is ready to be washed and primed. The inside of the gunnels (I think that is what they are called) are sanded as well. She is now on a pair of homemade stands and has been tested for leaks, filled with about 2" of water and tilted on the port then starboard sides. 2 spots with pretty inconsequential drips. Like a drop every 30 seconds or so.

I am going to power wash and strip the bottom, and then clean and seal the rivets/seams inside with gluvit. I will recheck then, but expect to be pretty much leak free given how good it is now. Once that is done, would you all recommend painting the inside first, or outside?

I have to say, this is so much fun!

Attachments

• photo278254.jpg
    photo278254.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo278255.jpg
    photo278255.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

It doesn't really matter which you paint first, inside or out but just think about which would be easier to cover against over spray during the next paint application and if you're going to turtle the boat to paint the outside.

macsmith777

Seaman
No Title

Flipping the boat was not too big a deal and I got a chance to try some Citri-Strip this evening. I coated about 3/4 of the bottom, only leaving it on about 20 min before power washing it off. I have to say, for the first run, and not being to meticulous in application, I am quite happy! It was that murky dark brown/black bottom paint, and it came off quite easily. I will stop and get 2 more quarts, and reapply tomorrow thoroughly and let it sit a full hour. I imagine with a good power washing, I can get about 98% of the paint off.

Also, over the las couple days, I have determined that with power washing and cleaning, my leak situation was a bit worse than thought. I was getting a pretty steady drip from the bottom. Well, I discovered that these are not from rivets, but rather 3 small holes, ranging from pin size to perhaps 1/8 inch. Presumably this was from some form of impact (rock?) anyway, I am happy to see where they are. As I laid under the boat to see if there were drips anywhere from all the power washing into seams, rivets, etc. I noticed little points of light. Always more comfortable with knowing my enemy! I am going to ask my welder if they are in a spot that he can address, and not too close to a seam. Progress is being made!

On an unrelated matter, I found a 63 Starchief that is, with any luck, my next project. I think I am developing a problem..

Attachments

• photo278464.jpg
    photo278464.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo278465.jpg
    photo278465.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Looking good on the strip job, glad the citrus stuff is working out for you.

Yeah so did you bring home that Chief? Your affliction for more old tin is a common ailment around here :lol:

MBS.jpg

macsmith777

Seaman
Ha! No, not yet anyway. We are considering a motorcycle/boat trade in the spring if neither sells before. I have 3 boats now, and the admiral, while patient, does have her limits...

macsmith777

Seaman
After a bit of a hiatus, I am back in action. I cleaned out the bottom, sanded all the seams, and finally put down my Gluvit last night. No pics as it isn't really that exciting to see, but it is progress. I hope to run it down to the welder this week, and then can prime and paint the inside this weekend.

Soon there will be some cool pics when the painting begins.

macsmith777

Seaman
No Title

Progress! I have all 4 flooring panels cut (though I need to trim a bit). The transom is cut and currently the glue is setting. It came out pretty good, though I have a new appreciation for skilled jigsaw work. She went down to the welder last week and I had most of the screw holes filled and sanded. In the process, the tops of the gunwales were just to beat up, so when I returned for her, he has put on all new aluminum, and it looks awesome! Alas, we missed a couple of holes on the inside edge of the starboard gunwale, and since it will annoy me all the way into my grave, I will make a return trip to get the last few things done.

Question for all you big brains, has anyone put an anchor roller on the bow? With the cap there, I think I will have to build up aft of it to make a level surface on which to mount the roller. Should be a good working project, and a way to dress up the bow as well. Anyone out there have ideas or pictures?

Attachments

• photo280414.jpg
    photo280414.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 1
  • photo280415.jpg
    photo280415.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo280416.jpg
    photo280416.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1

Decker83

Commander
Looks like you're moving forward.. Transom looks great.. Jigsaws seem like they have a mind of their own..
Grandad did a very nice setup on his for the anchor roller.. Not sure if his pics will show..

Watermann

Yeah you're on the right track for the bow anchor, Grandad put some composite wood material on his Holiday's bow deck. With the PB addon for Chrome and Firefox you can see all the pics fine.

Might should've waited until the transom wood was in before riveting down those new gunnels, now they'll either have to be removed again, bent up or cut off.

fetch

macsmith777

Seaman
Thanks guy. Yeah, about the premature riveting. The guys at the welding shop did that. They were trying to be helpful, and do amazing work, so I smiled and said thank you. 1/2 dozen rivets out and I will be fine. Floor is fitted now, so I will be on to painting the exterior shortly, fixing the trailer up a bit while she is turtled, and then on to the interior. My head is swimming with ideas for the layout!

macsmith777

Seaman
No Title

Most definitely Mudchuck. The local hardware store has 1" and 2" 4x8 sheets of polystyrene. I will fit all I can under there. I am set to epoxy the floor panels tomorrow, as well as do some other odds and ends. I want to practice my epoxy-ing on the floor as it will be covered. If I don't like the look, I will get some of the clear hardener (West Systems 207) for the transom and storage box/seating platform. Perhaps by next weekend I have it turtled for exterior paint..

Attachments

• photo280709.jpg
    photo280709.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 1
  • photo280710.jpg
    photo280710.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Decking looks great, nice fit on it. :thumb:

Everything with epoxy on it has to be covered so UV doesn't ruin it.