1974 Starcraft Mariner 16 floor and transom replacement help

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I found this picture on the internet of a knee brace made for a sailboat, making it like this would it be strong enough for an outboard, i can use flat bar wide enough to cover both sets of rivet holes and do one piece or make 2 of them one brace for each set of rivet holes?

Attachments

• photo278220.jpg
    photo278220.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I'd try to use at least the bottom portion of this knee-brace.
fetch

• Clean-up and correct for any hull-skin corrosion.
  • Trim away the stuff that's too far gone (and in your way).
  • Get yourself some cleco's to temporarily hold the kneebrace in place.
  • Then using some rigid, malleable material (i.e. thin aluminum sheet) to mock-up the upper portions of the knee-brace... basically how to make the connection between the KB & hull skin / transom wood.
  • Once you've got things mocked-up pretty well, you can use some large, heavy-gauge aluminum angle pieces...wide enough to connect to the hull and provide alot of overlap with the KB for fastening (I like solid rivets...alot of them).
  • You'll probably have to pinch-in the KB sidewalls a bit to compensate for the aluminum angle thickness...otherwise existing screw / bolt holes won't clear it.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
There certainly is some good progress going on. It is too bad that the previous owner messed up the boat instead of doing things right. Bubba strikes again.

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'd try to use at least the bottom portion of this knee-brace.
fetch

• Clean-up and correct for any hull-skin corrosion.
  • Trim away the stuff that's too far gone (and in your way).
  • Get yourself some cleco's to temporarily hold the kneebrace in place.
  • Then using some rigid, malleable material (i.e. thin aluminum sheet) to mock-up the upper portions of the knee-brace... basically how to make the connection between the KB & hull skin / transom wood.
  • Once you've got things mocked-up pretty well, you can use some large, heavy-gauge aluminum angle pieces...wide enough to connect to the hull and provide alot of overlap with the KB for fastening (I like solid rivets...alot of them).
  • You'll probably have to pinch-in the KB sidewalls a bit to compensate for the aluminum angle thickness...otherwise existing screw / bolt holes won't clear it.

Yes im going to try to rebuild the knee brace i got some new aluminum angle and a rivet gun going to get medevil with it lol

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ok slowly but surely making head way on the boat, transom is in and getting the sides riveted back on noe the boat is getting good and strong, not near the twisting that it was.Also had to drill out the rivets that held the bracket on where the pulley and spring went on each side, replacing the steering with a teleflex. Must have used the wrong image size pictures look like there and squeezed together lol, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• photo279227.jpg
    photo279227.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279228.jpg
    photo279228.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279229.jpg
    photo279229.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279230.jpg
    photo279230.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279231.jpg
    photo279231.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279232.jpg
    photo279232.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279233.jpg
    photo279233.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo279234.jpg
    photo279234.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1

macsmith777

Seaman
Nice work! I took a bit of a hiatus over the weekend and only did a bit of work fixing a couple holes in the bottom. Hopefully this week I will be cutting new flooring and wiring the trailer so I can bring her to the welder for knee brace repair. Oh, and we picked up a Coronado 25 super cheap. Gotta have one for motoring and another for sailing! : )

bwingler57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nice work! I took a bit of a hiatus over the weekend and only did a bit of work fixing a couple holes in the bottom. Hopefully this week I will be cutting new flooring and wiring the trailer so I can bring her to the welder for knee brace repair. Oh, and we picked up a Coronado 25 super cheap. Gotta have one for motoring and another for sailing! : )
Wow thats awesome, sailing is a lot fun, send me a link so i can see some pictures of the sail boat, sounds like you got a small boat yard going on lol.

macsmith777

Seaman
No Title

Here we are.. I know they are not SC boats, but all boats are cool, in m view. I have the Mariner back right side up on the trailer and in the shop. Plan is to prep and seal all the rivets and seams with Gluvit this weekend. I have the trailer all rewired, so if the weather allows, I will bring her for welding next week. Then paint the interior and re-rivet the gunwales. Re-flip and paint the exterior, re-re-flip and put in decking, wiring, benches, lights, transom, seats.

See? I am almost done.. :lol:

Attachments

• photo279490.jpg
    photo279490.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279491.jpg
    photo279491.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0

macsmith777

Seaman
Hey 57, how's it going? I stalled for a bit, but now have Gluvit down. Hopefully I am rebuilding my momentum!