Leaking Starcraft Falcon

TVZ

Seaman Apprentice
I recently picked up an older Starcraft Falcon (14' aluminum boat, serial # 961356). Upon putting it in the water, lo & behold water has appeared inside. I cranked it up on the hoist, and after an hour water stopped dripping as the bottom dried, but the water remains inside.
Questions:
--Any ideas as to where the water is likely to have come in?
--Shall I fill the boat further to see if a leak appears? (right now it's about at floorboard level)
It would be nice to figure out how to fix this w/out tearing out the flooring, etc...

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Leaky rivets are the number one issue. I know you say there is still water inside, how much water are we talking about? If it is all near the bilge the leak could be farther forward or higher up. Fill the hull with water and see where it starts to leak out from.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard the Starmada TVZ

Please don't take that literally and fill your Falcon with water, the weight will quite possibly destroy the boat, trailer or both. These boats are designed to keep water out not hold it in like a water tank.

Leaks can be caused by the rivets, seams and sometimes cracks. In particular check the keel that takes the brunt of hard landings over the years. Inspect the rivets for loose, damaged, missing or tipped heads. When the boat is dripping water is when you'll find out where the leak is.

SHSU

:welcome: aboard the Starmada TVZ

Please don't take that literally and fill your Falcon with water, the weight will quite possibly destroy the boat, trailer or both. These boats are designed to keep water out not hold it in like a water tank.

Leaks can be caused by the rivets, seams and sometimes cracks. In particular check the keel that takes the brunt of hard landings over the years. Inspect the rivets for loose, damaged, missing or tipped heads. When the boat is dripping water is when you'll find out where the leak is.

Yes, only enough to cover rivets to be tested.

TVZ

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. I did put some water in and found a dozen rivets & seams where it leaked. I put epoxy on them. My keel has a round hole in it that looks like it belongs there. A drain hole? Or should I seal it?

SHSU

Thanks guys. I did put some water in and found a dozen rivets & seams where it leaked. I put epoxy on them. My keel has a round hole in it that looks like it belongs there. A drain hole? Or should I seal it?

If they are solids rivets you should rebuck to fix them and then put epoxy on them for long term fix, IMHO. As for the hole in the keel, its for keel drainage and is normal

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah the keel strip riveted on the outside of the boat has drain holes. I was referring to the keel plate at the bow.