20 Ft Starcraft Islander restore project

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
The brackets that actually add displacement to counteract the weight set farther back would be the best choice imho.

Agreed. You can build one (fiberglass) for around $600. Problem building one is you need to be engineering-smart. I've seen a lot of pretty poor designs complete with youtube instructional how-to vids that are quite unsound structurally - more like precise sculpture in fiberglass, no mechanical strength. Usually need new throttle, shift, and steering cables.

Hellix

Cadet
ok i actually already have the bracket that the motor mounts too. its all one unit if you look in the pic its actually sitting in the back of the boat by the transom. as far as i can tell there arent any other braces that were installed to tie the transom into the boat after the bracket with the outboard was hung on the back. I have looked around the internet to see if i could find some pics of a starcraft with the OMC seadrive installed one it but can't find a pic of the transom from the inside??

My biggest problem i have right now is that the boat is titled and has a lean on it from 1983, i have no way of contacting the original owner and there is no "paper" trail and the lender is no longer in business. and since i can't prove that the lein is no longer valid the SOS won't transfer the title into my name. the boat was abandoned at a marina and i bought it for pretty cheap to get it out of their way. Iv gone round and round with the SOS and they are not getting that this boat and the lein are 34 years old and nothing exists anywhere on what is up with it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Wait a minute - How did the marina get the title if the boat was abandoned? If they got title by claiming abandoned property, they should have cleared the title.

Hellix

Cadet
no the marina doesn't have the title, its still titled in the original owners name. when I picked up the boat they said all I had to do was claim it as abandoned which would have not been a problem except it still has a lean on it and I can't clear the title until I get proof the lean was cleared which have the lean information from the company from 1983 so I'm hoping I can still contact them and get something from them that says the lean was paid off.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I passed on a Sylvan like that this summer that was in basically the same situation title wise.
After talking to the MN DNR, it was basically a parts boat, no way to legally get the title or use it on MN waters.

Good luck in your state.

Dan

Hellix

Cadet
ok the boat is now officially mine :) was able to track down the company and get the lean cleared.

now to get started on removing the cabin. I'm assuming the roof part of the cabin is just bolted down.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's some good news! If like my Chief's cabin there's a piece of trim on either side to remove and then a 100 or so 5/32" blind rivets.