20 Ft Starcraft Islander restore project

Hellix

Cadet
ahh - will i need some brackets like that? this boat was originaly set up with an outboard motor to begin with. A bracket like that would be a good idea though too.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Isn't that the Seadrive parts I see in the boat? What would be involved in using them/making them work?

Dan

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
ahh - will i need some brackets like that? this boat was originaly set up with an outboard motor to begin with. A bracket like that would be a good idea though too.

As DLNorth suggested you could continue to use the sea drive bracket that already came with the boat as well. For some reason I was thinking we were discussing inboard to outboard conversion when I posted that link... :facepalm:

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Or not, you might want to Google and read up on SeaDrives. Doesn't sound like they were durable long term. And if that motor you have is the one used with the SeaDrive, it won't have tilt or trim. Apparently they were sold as a package with the steering and hydraulics in the brackets, not in the motor. Many were replaced with simple brackets and standard motors.

Dan

Alumarine

Captain
As DLNorth suggested you could continue to use the sea drive bracket that already came with the boat as well. For some reason I was thinking we were discussing inboard to outboard conversion when I posted that link... :facepalm:
I thought it was a conversion as well.
I didn't notice the bracket either.

Jim_the_Islander

Seaman Apprentice
Was wondering what that bracket was in the stern of the boat.
Find a donor boat Helix for a console and trailer.
Never seen a tin boat converted to a CC, Glass ones yea.
Just get the boat balanced before you put the console in the boat. Plan on loading mine with jugs of water to simulate distributed weight before I permanently attach the center console to the new floor.
Please share Hellix what year hull is that, Cadet Jim is guessing mid 80's?
A bracket for an outboard would be good on that transom.

Hellix

Cadet
Yes this boat came equipped from the factory with an OMC sea drive 1.6 L outboard motor. Sorry for the confusion there. We're there any extra brackets for the transom woth that set up?

The hull is a 1983 and in really good shape from what I have seen so far. I'm in the up this week on a fishing trip so I won't actually be able to start tering out the cabin and everything until I get back.

My curently plan is to build a center consol for the boat our of marine plywood. I would like to make it large enough to have a port a pot inside the center console. But not sure if I'll have enough room. I would cover the plywood with fiburglass and then paint it.

SHSU

From what I saw in a quick search you have all the parts. The down side is it looks like its hard to find replacement parts for anything broken in the sea drive. If everything still works or you can source parts then I would keep using it.

Hellix

Cadet
OK so it should be good with just the plywood and aluminum hull transom holding the motor? I tried to find a pic of the inside of an islander with the sea drivar attached but couldn't find one.

SHSU

I did some searches and the difficult part is the PB issue has caused most threads to lose their pictures.... You will need to make sure you have a knee bracket to provide additional support. Below are some pictures I got off of google as the threads had them deleted by PB.

This one is designed with a splashwell but gives you an idea. Need to spread out the support to maximize strength and not cause stress that will result in failure.

Islander KB 2.jpg

Islander KB.jpg

Hellix

Cadet
Yeah iv seen some of those. But mine doesn't have the cut out like those do. My transom is solid all the way across.

SHSU

Yeah iv seen some of those. But mine doesn't have the cut out like those do. My transom is solid all the way across.

True, but even still you will need a knee brace IMHO. That is a lot of weight you will be holding/pushing when under way.

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Helix, permission to come aboard and follow along. I have an '86 Islander, 22 ft. I will be rebuilding, but intend to keep my cabin. jasoutside did a conversion on his Islander, but I think PB ate his photos too!
Cheers

Pcolafisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Helix, I just checked Jason's thread and there is a video in page 424 showing his boat with consoles, not CC.
Cheers

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You've got a ton of work ahead of you before the rebuilding stage, tear down to bare hull, clean up, hull repairs and painting will take the most amount of time in the process.

Hellix

Cadet
What is the best thing to use to strip down to bare hull?

Do I need to strip the paint off the outside too.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I strip my boats bare and use Jasco, it's by far the best you can get around here when I am at least.

fetch

MNhunter1

Ensign
No Title

I've had really good luck with the Klean-Strip brand Aircraft Paint Remover. I'm sure the Jasco is as good if not better, I just never found any local to me.

Attachments

• photo275043.jpg
    photo275043.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0

Jim_the_Islander

Seaman Apprentice
If you add a bracket would still add a knee brace, the bracket will put pressure on the bottom of the transom. The difficult part I see in the coversion to outboard with a transom bracket is mounting the bracket at the correct height. The motor will most likely be "stepped" like a stepped hull. The brackets aren't cheap new, finding used brackets may limit the type you get. The brackets that actually add displacement to counteract the weight set farther back would be the best choice imho.

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
hola!!

Watermann's advice is usually spot on, (even though it's sometimes not what you want to hear).

We sanded ours down pretty aggressively. Total paint strip on transom metal, but only a heavy sand on the rest of the boat. For now, it appears both are holding up equally well, but only time will tell on longevity of paint adhering.

Also!!!! MAKE SURE YOU AVOID WALKING ON THE BARE HULL!!! We *think* we developed some cracks in the hull towards the bow by walking on the bare interior hull too much. Keep a piece of decking that you can shift around to walk on :)

Just our 2cents... I think I've seen others say the same thing. The boats are fragile without transom + decking.