20 Ft Starcraft Islander restore project

Hellix

Cadet
Hello all,

Been trolling your posts for sometime now and have finally got the bug and picked up a starcraft islander the other day as a winter project. I live in Michigan and my plan is to use this boat for fishing on Lake St Clair. I have had a lot of experience taking apart boats and parting them out for a few marinas in the area but this is the first time ill actually be putting one back together lol. So without further ado here are some pics of the boat as it sits now (this is how I received her)

The Transom has already been removed and the new one has been cut out. there is a 3 piece section and then a one pice section that goes over the 3 piece section.

came with this motor not sure if it runs yet.

and this is pretty much the rest of the interior of the boat that was already ripped out. not sure if i want to put the whole interior back in or just put in some rod lockers on the walls of the boat to store my fishing rods in. and then just make a custom interior for the boat.

So my first question is where should i start first?

Should i look at getting the transom installed so I can mount the motor and find out if it will work or not or should I focus on something else? Ive dug through several of the project posts that are on here already and have learned a ton about the boat already and am really looking forward to getting her up and running for next season.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Man.. if only all the projects I got in looked that nice.. lol --- First things.. I'd build an outboard stand and put that motor on it. Then I'd clean clean and clean some more on that boat. Take lots of photos, and get it all ready for your project. Forget going back like it all was.. You have a blank canvas.. Look around for ideas, make the boat fit YOU. I went back all original on my boat and I regret it. So much I would have changed to fit MY needs.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
you can hook up an external tank on that motor and muffs and see if that motor runs.. when doing my first one, just knowing the engine was ready was enough to keep me going for long hours and hard work.

Alumarine

Captain
Looks like a good project.
Is your plan to convert it from an I/O to outboard?

I'm guessing it was an OMC I/O before?

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Nice looking project. What fell on the console and crushed it like that?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the Starmada Hellix :wave:

Nice V5 Islander you got there! Looks like there was an OB pod that was installed on it. I agree first off build a motor stand and pull the spark plugs to see what you have inside. Then try turning it over by hand and squirt some fogging oil inside the cylinders. Then hook up the controls, fuel tank and battery to get it going.

In the mean time tear everything old and rotten out so you can get to the bottom of her to do a leak test and any hull repairs as needed. Even if the motor is bad you still want to rebuild the Islander.

Hellix

Cadet
Yes I still want to re-build her. I have access to several other motors if this one is bad.

Also i saw a post about someone converting one of these into a center console boat on here. I have always wanted a center console and this seems like a good time to possibly go that route.

SHSU not sure what happened to the console, it was like that when i got it :/.

marc c The boat has a outboard set already on it so i will probably just stick with that for now. plus it gives me more floor space in the boat that way.

Jim_the_Islander

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, Welcome to the forum, Helix!

Outside of the boat looks really straight. What year is that? You should get that transom done before doing any leak test. That's a lot of stress on the hull filling it with water and the finished transom will help structurally support the hull. Definitely need to get the inside cleaned up to see what you have to work with and start your planning. Good luck Helix :)

Hellix

Cadet
As far as cleaning the inside - you mean removing the rest of the foam? should i pull the gas tank out too? what about the cuddy cabin up front?

SHSU

As far as cleaning the inside - you mean removing the rest of the foam? should i pull the gas tank out too? what about the cuddy cabin up front?

I am guessing the foam is original and probably pour in. It is most likely saturated with water and will need to be completely pulled out and tossed. At that point, you should just take her down to her hull and give her a good cleaning. Easier to check for loose rivets and fix them when someone can get to the other side for bucking. As for the tank, I would pull and clean it out. No telling how old the gas is inside and what kind of crap may be in it. Plus you don't want to do all that work and then find out that you have a leaky tank. Also, be very careful working around the tank as the trapped fumes can make it a bomb..... But all of this is MHO. Either way though, she will be a nice boat on the water when you are done I am sure!!!

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I would remove it ALL. The fuel tank especially.. It could be dirty, it could be cracked, leaking.. who knows. cuddy up front... get it outta there.. might be rotted, holding mold, who knows.. its a great way to inspect every aspect of your new project. TIP: If you start pulling those gauges, take some masking tape and fold it over each wire and you can write on the wire what that wire goes to

Hellix

Cadet
ok - was looking at another post on here that converted to a Center console. should i remove the top too while i am at it and start looking at what it will take to make it a center console boat?

Hellix

Cadet
the top of the cabin is just bolted onto the frame from what i can see. it would just unbolt and come off. im gonna take a closer look at it this evening though.

MNhunter1

Ensign
I believe there was an Islander to CC or SC conversion somewhere in the restorations thread. Used it as a big 'ole tender for sea duck layout boats or something of the sort. Nice big dance floor.

SHSU

I believe there was an Islander to CC or SC conversion somewhere in the restorations thread. Used it as a big 'ole tender for sea duck layout boats or something of the sort. Nice big dance floor.

There are several, but unfortunately they are victims of the PB disease....

MNhunter1

Ensign
The one I was thinking off was: 22ft v-5 islander to side console. If you enter "22ft v-5 islander to side console" into your web browser and select images, you'll be able to view the pictures, but won't be able to open them... small little workaround for the PB blockade.

Bottom line...yes, you should be able to successful convert an Islander to a CC or SC and it has been done successfully before. Just make sure you compensate for any structural support that was provided by the cabin, dash, etc.