2002 Starcraft Islander 221 - speedometer pick

jml82

Cadet
Hello,

Total newbie - just bought above referenced boat - speedo doesn't work - where would the pick up be on the hull? How best to trouble shoot?

Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The pickup is maybe on the outdrive. Got a 4.3 Mercruiser for power? The speed pickup is in the leading edge of the lower unit and a tube/hose connects from the lower unit to the transom and up to the speedo.

Or you have one of these mounted on the bottom of the transom with the hose from the pitot through the transom and up to the speedo.

pitottube_0.jpg

jml82

Cadet
Thanks for reply - yes have 4.3 L MPI - Tra some is clean except for trim tabs - I had the impeller done - could the speedo pickup been detached as part of that process?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would bet they didn't connect the speedo pitot pick up which on the Gen2 Alpha One is on the lower unit.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for reply - yes have 4.3 L MPI - Tra some is clean except for trim tabs - I had the impeller done - could the speedo pickup been detached as part of that process?

Yep. If the speedo was working before the work, they didn't hook up the hose or they broke the piece of plastic the hose slips onto in the midsection.