'88' SFM Eliminate Live Well

Yooper77

Cadet
I know there are pics somewhere of somebody who has done this, but I haven't been able to find them. Doing a full gut job amd about to lay plywood, so blocking will be a comsideration. It came with back to back lounge seats, not sure if I want to go that route again. I have 1 toddler and will probably have another, so tubing and fishing are in my future. Budget is an issue.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If resale is a consideration then deleting a livewell from an SFM would hurt the value. You can always insulate the well and use it as an in deck cooler. Some pics of your project would be good.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Full gut and ready for decking

A few questions come to mind:
Leak check?
Removed transom?
Flotation foam?

Yooper77

Cadet
I didn't get quite as far as I hoped the other day, so everything In front of the live well still has to be removed. I learned an expensive lesson the hardway, a worker at Home Depot, who claimed to have restored boats as a side job in the past suggested using 3 coats Thompson's Water seal on regular plywood, since marine grade was out of my budget, so I did. Per manufacturere mail, the DAP Contact Adhesive Spray Grade. I'll be using should not be used over sealed wood. I previously worked at an upholstery shop, so I know what I'm in for with the adhesive set times. So back I went and bought 3 more sheets of 5/8". Will be using 3/8" for vinyl panels, and 3/4" for the bow. I painted the bottom with exterior paint and will paint the edges after the pieces have been cut. Thought about using cardboard as a template, since the old decking had the structural strength of rotton carpet.
By the way, I learned not to use treated plywood from you fine gentleman.
If my plans are incorrect in any way please let me know.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A big no go on the Thompson's, use spar urethane 2 - 3 coats on the flats and hit edges each time.