1977 18.5' Supersport used

aldocorleone

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I'm new into boating. (re: First boat.... )

I'm currently looking at a 1977 18.5' supersport for my family of 6. I want to be able to take the family tubing, and fishing, etc. Regular stuff. :)

I have a few questions though. I have researched this boat quite a bit, and it seems like this is a pretty good boat.
It has a 115hp Evinrude, and a 4.5 Johnson.

The boat does seem like it is in good shape, and they are asking 4700 in Canada. I have looked around, and it seems like this is a pretty ok price. I am hoping to get it for around the 4400 or so.

My questions:
1. Thoughts on the engine? Easy to repair? Or anything crazy I need to know about the Evinrude?
2. Is the super sport a good starter boat?
3. Am I going to regret not getting something bigger? Or do I need to be more realistic with how many of my kids I can take out at a time. (Boys are 15, 13, 11, girl is 8) They are all skinny! :)
4. Does the price seem ok? (I know you haven't seen it, but just asking)

Thank you all!

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome to the site, An SS or 16 or 18 are great boats, the 18 is rated for up to 140 hp the 115 should be fine. The Evinrude/Johnson V4's are great motors and have lots of parts support, hopefully the motor is at least the same vintage as the boat. Make sure to check the boat over really well looking for soft spongy spots in the floor around and under the consuls and under the splash well, if you find some then the transom may be soft as well. Also check the underside of the hull for damage and missing rivets.A compression test on the motor will tell you lots and test run on the water is worth it's weight.

Good Luck

aldocorleone

Recruit
That is awesome. Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to be looking at it again tonight!