Starcraft V5 hulls... looking for info?

melontable

Cadet
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone can share information on the v5 hulls, especially as compared to the more "traditional" starcraft semi-v hull. I am looking at a few boats and one is a 22' islander with the v5 hull. I'm wondering about info, advantages, and disadvantages!

For example, one big worry is that the V hull is less stable at rest. I'm primarily going to be fishing, and will be mostly at rest or trolling slowly. However, I will this fishing will be in bays or just inshore, where the wind and waves can kick up pretty quickly and 5-10 miles in 2' chop can be terrible, and I think the v5 hull might help with that. Right now, I have a smaller boat with less V and getting back to the dock is sometimes just awful. If the v5s can mitigate a lot of the slamming getting home but only roll a tiny bit more, seems like a good tradeoff in my book!

Are there other advantages or disadvantages? Or any other information on this hull, even anecdotal information? What was it designed for? Is it noticeable stronger or weaker? Honestly looking for any info that could come my way :)

Thanks so much!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard melon,

The introduction in the late 1970's of the V5 were the front runner to the smooth sided V models to come later in the 1980s. A sharper bow angle and substantial dead rise makes them very rough water friendly. My 18'r runs across 2' capped chop at 30 -35 MPH with only a rumble and vibration, no jarring but then again so does my Chief. The 22'rs with a wider beam like you're referring to would be incredibly stable even off plane.

melontable

Cadet
thank you watermann.

I had been reading that they also had thicker hulls, and that the deadrise is 21 degrees. Are these both true? Do you (or anyone) know how thick the hulls are?

I have also seen that they have an extra strake on the side (2 instead of 1). Does this help significantly with spray?

I didn't realize that the extra beam would make that much of a difference?these hulls are considered stable even off plane? Do you know, are they considered stable even on anchor?

thanks again!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My buddy has a 22' SS V5. It is quite stable at rest. I've fished from it quite a bit with him. It rides much better than my 18' SS but not as well as my heavy 20' saltwater fiberglass boat.

Watermann

I don't know exactly for sure what the hull thickness is on the V5 models but I do know they use variable thicknesses throughout the boat like the other models. With my experience with aluminum boats, drilling and cutting into them I can give you my best guess for the 18' V5.

Transom: .100
Bottom: .090
Sides: .080
Ribs: .090
Gunnels, bow cover, splashwell/stern cover .070

This would make the V5 slightly thicker than most other models

The OB models have large panel double knee braces tied into the deck support stringers and bottom making them very strong which makes me question their OB rating being 10 HP lower for some reason at least in the 18'r.

The extra spray rail was added as a riveted on addition and was discontinued in the later V models so I'm thinking it's benefit was found to not be worth the extra effort and material.

melontable

Cadet
thanks! any chance there are photos of the large-panel double knee braces on the OB models floating around on iboats that I'm not finding? Have a vague plan of converting the i/o to OB and I would love to see how the actual OB models reinforce the transom.

thanks again

Watermann

Yeah in my thread there's a few pics.

IMAG2248.jpg

IMAG2118.jpg

melontable

Cadet
thanks watermann. I went through your thread?some of it, anyways! it's long. I got through the part where you were putting in the transom. as i was piecing together your photos (super well documented, by the way), it looks like there's the normal aluminum skin on the outside, and then the transom wood, and then... the transom wood is basically just held in place by the braces you mentioned (which appear to be the angular pieces in your above photo, next to the drill and the shop towels), and then it also looks like there are two other brace plates, one on each side. There is a photo in your thread... the one with the four thru-hulls and then the two through transom bolts.

But then, is that it for holding the transom in place? that seems really light considering how much force is on a transom with an outboard on there. Four brackets? I guess boat builders know way better than me, but still. wow. And that's the beefed up version!

Thanks for all the other info, everyone! I've decided to go look at the v5 because my main (only, really) concern was stability at rest, but it sounds like that won't be an issue.

Watermann

Thanks for taking a look, the V5 doesn't have the Z channel at the bottom of the transom skin for the wood to sit in like other models. They have 1/4" stainless bolts all around the outer edge and cutout for the motor. You can see them in the pic below. There are 4 bolts across under the motor and 4 at the top that bolt the splashwell on too. The splashwell on these boats add a ton of structural support to the stern of the boat. It's solid riveted onto the top of the knee braces too. Once they're put back together it's a very substantial transom assembly.

Those side braces that tie into the hull I riveted and bolted in for good measure as most other models have them but the V5 didn't.

IMAG2744.jpg