Please help identify my Starcraft year & model

informative

Cadet
I've been a Starcraft fan for years, and finally bought my own. It was used as a patrol boat by the Army Corps of Engineers on the Fern Ridge Reservoir near Eugene, Oregon. I bought it through GSA auction. When I went to inspect it before bidding on it, one of the guys said he drove the boat during training 8 years ago, but other than that, it sounds like it was sitting in their "boneyard" for many years since then -- with the tongue of the trailer propped up high for drainage. It looks rough, but with the exception of a beat-up keel near the forward waterline, it seemed pretty solid and straight. It's filled with leaves and pine needles, the seat coverings and foam are shot, but the tubular aluminum frames appear solid and straight. The parts of the floor I could reach seemed pretty solid...couldn't find a soft spot, but I couldn't get to all of it, and suspect the floor near the transom could be bad based on how it was stored.

All relevant agencies have no paperwork on it, so they don't know year/model. They were selling boat & trailer as scrap, but when I expressed interest, they were willing to issue paperwork to help me title it. Knowing the year & model would help greatly.

I was able to find a data plate on the Tee Nee brand trailer, but unable to find a hull/serial number anywhere on the boat. Here's a link to a public DropBox folder that has all of the pictures I took while inspecting it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxgbc0obb82fiu2/AABTshcrpCeBaHPaIGXkmuAva?dl=0 I'll also try to upload a few pictures here, although I don't know if I can (I'm new to this forum).

Stem-to-stern, I measured it at 15' 11" but can't guarantee that's precise.

I would appreciate any help coming up with a specific (or ballpark) year & model. Perhaps you can tell by the shape of the windscreen, or the close-ups of fittings or other details? I would love to hear your thoughts.

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5567.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

informative

Cadet
Thanks jbcurt00. Jupiter was one of perhaps 4 models I thought it might be. You're a moderator of this forum, so I hate to question your answer, but curious if you're sure it's a Jupiter, or throwing that out as a possibility. Sorry to be tedious, but what details strike you as Jupiter and/or rule out similar size models? As far as date goes, I saw a windshield on eBay pulled from a '65 Starcraft with what looked like the same mount on the back corners, but perhaps that was used before or after '65.

If you or anyone else can shed light on details that suggest or eliminate dates and models, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again!

bunnymoney

Seaman
I will suggest a different model. However I could be wrong.
Since there are only 3 laps on the side (I believe 4 laps on a Jupiter), and only 1step pad (usually 2 on a 16'er), I believe it to be a smaller boat. It looks a lot like my 65 Jetstar but it has something on the inside that is not on mine. Look at the attached picture at the 2 vertical stiffeners ( they appear to be the same as the bottom rib material).

If you have the boat in your possession please measure the beam right at joint of the gunnel and bow piece overlap. Also please re-measure from the top center of transom to tip of bow cap.

How many knee braces are on the transom?

This boat does not appear to have been re-furbished, except for maybe the carpet?
I have never seen aluminum tubing for the seat support. Maybe this is original?

I'm in Beaverton. Where are you?
IMG_5547.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Until proven otherwise, question all offered opinions.

Mine was mostly based on your measured length. Jups were 15ft+, cant recall what years were 15ft 6, 15ft 9 or even 15ft 11in,

Jets were 14ft 6in or 14ft 9in, but I dont think they were ever 14ft 11in.

Some SCs have aluminum tub seat supports, my 74 Jet does.

Transom knees help ID model too, so 1, 2 or 3?

IIRC, Viscounts and Nassaus were similar to Jupiters, but Jups are by far more plentiful here......

Dig thru the rehabs posted and all the 60s brochures. Look at everything, windshield style, boat colors, lapstrakes, beam and length, interior layout, seating arrangements, size and shape of splashwell, hull is flat across the bottom of the transom, that also puts it in the 60s....

Good luck

Tnstratofam

Commander
20160812_111705_zpses9beapv.jpg

Here is a picture of the Jupiter I brought home last fall. The one jbcurt00 mentioned. It does look like the sides may be different than yours. She is still in line for her reato. Hopefully I will get started on her this fall. You've certainly come to the best place on the web for everything boats!

Attachments

• 20160812_111705_zpses9beapv.jpg
    20160812_111705_zpses9beapv.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 8

bunnymoney

Seaman
I have a few more observations and it's easier to show what it is not rather than to declare what it is.

tnstratofam's Jupiter is not a match. It has 4 laps on the side and informative's has 3 laps.
20160812_133522_zps3fhhiske.jpg IMG_5530.jpg

tnstratosfam's transom is a 20/21 inch and 4-5 inches below the end caps. informative's transom is also 20/21 inches and just below the end caps.
image_268969.jpg IMG_5540.jpg
In the last picture you can see the 18 bolts attached to the 3 knee braces.

You can also see the inside gunnel aluminum is straight (not tapered) eliminating the '64 Jetstar like lakelover's.

It would appear starcraft marketed boats in many different budget ranges. Holiday, Nassau, Jupiter, SS and larger were more refined, more finished on the insides. informative's has no side panels or frame work to support them. I believe that fact eliminates many possibilities.

Thanks informative for the 70 picture spread.

informative

Cadet
Thanks everyone for all of your interest, insights and thoughts, and for any additional suggestions or ideas you can offer. I have scoured through brochures that I've been able to find posted here and/or elsewhere online. Most I have found are poor resolution, so it's hard to make conclusive decisions.

One question: Did Starcraft boats of this era have data plates, and if so, where were they typically located? I stumbled upon a photo somewhere (in this forum?) that showed some kind of data plate on the port side of the inside of the transom -- not sure if it was above or below the outboard well shelf thingy. I don't think there's one on this boat -- but I may have to drive down (2 hours +/-) to re-check, especially if there's a common specific place.

bunnymoney -- I'm in Raleigh Hills (I live just South of Jesuit) and have two kids at Beaverton High. I'm humored to think I throw a question out to the world and get a response from someone so close. I'd invite you to come look at the boat, but it's still down near Eugene. I am hoping to ID it before requesting the final US Govt. title request paperwork, so they can include the year/model info, which I assume will make it a lot easier to get through the OR boat registration/title process. I'll probably go down to get the boat and bring it home next Friday (7/7), but may get a chance to head down before that to take a few more photos, search for any data plate and/or take (and re-take) measurements.

Thanks again everyone, and if anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

Jim

informative

Cadet
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...ts/345084-post-a-pic-of-your-starcraft/page47 The photo of the boat at the top of this page struck me as similar to mine. Same windshield mounts... color scheme... three laps. The description says "16 feet" which sounds right for my 15' 11" measurement (which may not have been accurate to the inch).

I'll be looking at additional Starmist photos/specs to see if I can draw any conclusions yeah or nay.

1962 Catalog photos of Starmist & Stardust: https://www.flickr.com/photos/starcraftbrochures/4251769059/in/photostream/ lists them as 15'11 1/2" Centerline. Similar color scheme to mine. The difference between the models appears to be "two full bench seats" (Stardust) vs. "two back-to-back convertible seating units" (Starmist). One difference noted between this and mine: The way the windshield is mounted to the boat is different.

There's great info and photos of a '63 Starmist here: https://1963starmist.wordpress.com/ AND noted the trailer is a TEE NEE that looks very similar to the one mine is sitting on. I see lots of similarities, including the way the windshield is mounted (unlike the '62). DIFFERENCES: seat bases, and different dash panel?

HotRodSeaBee 's "1964 Starcraft" looks very similar, although it appears there's no conclusion on model. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...04433-hello-all-new-guy-with-an-old-starcraft Note the seats look the same as mine. The dash/gauges look different -- almost as thout someone took that off an old car and slapped it onto the boat.

xjdriver 's "1964 sea mist" on this page looks spot on, except for what looks like newer seats: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...ts/345084-post-a-pic-of-your-starcraft/page61

waterman 's1965 "Seamist" at the top of this page looks spot on, too, although I can't seem to find a "Seamist" in catalog images, and searches don't bring up anything new...: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...epair/305800-starcraft-owners-check-in/page26 --

It appears starting 1966 that the rounded windshields all have a reverse cut-out on the sides.

GUESS SO FAR:

1964 Starmist
1965 Seamist ??
1965 Dolphin ??

Anyone out there have a 1964 Starmist that can take a look and compare?

Thanks,

Jim

informative

Cadet
(Sorry to continue "thinking out loud" if that's annoying anyone)

I can't find many verifiable photos of the 1965 Dolphin, although it appears "Starmist" became "Dolphin" in 1965. The only reason I might rule that out is based on this one photo: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/images/c/cf/Starcraftb65011.jpg because (a) the seats and (b) it looks like there's a little handle built in to the bow, which I don't remember seeing on mine, and can't spot it in any of my photos, although I didn't get a good angle on it.

So.... I'm voting for 1964 Starcraft Starmist

The Tee Nee trailer is serial # 1364-1137. Might that "64" in the first set of digits represent a date code? Any Tee Nee experts around? If so, that might support my '64 Starmist theory.

bunnymoney

Seaman
Hey! I'm at Tanasbourne and retired. I could come over almost anytime and watch you work or if I had to I could hold something.:joyous:

As to what to title the boat as, it probably doesn't make much or any difference at this point. Looks as if it has never been registered anywhere. I can provide you with aluminum hull number tags after Oregon gives them to you. (free) P1030924.JPG

Attachments

• P1030749.JPG
    P1030749.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 5

informative

Cadet
North Beach Thank you. I just stumbled across a scan of a Jet Star catalog page you posted regarding someone's "1964 Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project." Those scans were great. If you have that catalog handy, can you look for the 1964 Starmist, and perhaps the typical catalog page that has the chart that lists all of the various models and their specifications for that year? Those would be great to see. Thank you!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
ID plates back then were on transom wood, inside the starboard corner. You can just see in the pic.

The plates look like this.

Last edited:

informative

Cadet
I'll go thru my brochures tonight and see if I can clear things up.

Any luck? I think I'm going to have paperwork drawn up suggesting that it's a 1964 Starcraft Starmist, but if your 1964 catalog can lend proof for that idea and/or discredit it, I would love to know. Thanks for taking a look.

informative

Cadet
I picked up the boat this week and brought it home to Portland.... spent a little time removing the busted windshield, vacuuming-out debris and scrubbing the deck, sides and transom well. She cleans up pretty nicely. The floor seems reasonably solid. The seats are shot, but the seat frames are good.

IMG_6148.jpg

I'd still love to see photos or brochure scans of the 1964 Starmist and 1965 Dolphin to see if I can narrow it down.

Mod EDIT: Solicitation removed

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

North Beach

Commander
Informative,
​Sorry it took so long for me to work thru this. Your boat is a 64 Starmist. I based this on the seats. The 65 Dolphin, 64 Starmist and 64 Seamist are basically the same boat. The only differences are the seats and a couple of other small differences made up at the factory (they put a sliding door setup under the motor well and added storage cubbies on both sides of the cockpit on the Starmist). The 65 Dolphin had back to back "Bucket" type seats. The 64 Starmist had a boxier back to back seat as shown in your photos. The 65 Seamist came with convertible seats that you could turn into bunks. StarCraft used the same platform with sometimes subtle changes on their small boat models from year to year. Other years they just changed the colors. And BTW they used the tube frames on lots of their seats in the 60's.