Compare the SS/HL hull vs the larger Islander hull

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
For those who have owned/used both of these hulls, what are the differences between them. ie; handling, need more or less power, effort to pull/launch, ease of fishing out of, and type, trolling vs casting vs soaking.

I've had the desire to upgrade to a 18 SS, but after seeing all these Islanders got me thinking. The Islanders are significantly wider, 82 ish to 96", and likely deeper also. For medium size lakes are they too large?

Dan

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not sure I know of anyone here that owns or has owned both of those type SC boats. It depends on what you want from a boat and how you'll be using it. My 18' SS is a great walleye and bass fishing boat and that's what I built it for but it can also be used on the mighty Columbia river if I want to go salmon fishing. I would consider it overkill for smaller lakes that have sub standard launches and shallow water but it's even done well in those types of lakes. I think the 18'r is a good compromise of size and ability between the 16' and 20' boats.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
How does your Chieftain compare, if that's possible. I assume it's still wide at the 96". Of course being your SS is a V5 that kinda throws a "wrench" in the mix.

Watermann

The Chief is heavier with the stern drive, cabin and double windshields making it take a bunch of power to get over that magical 40 MPH hump but I only use it to cruise which it does incredibly well. The SS is my fishing boat and used just for that. With the 140 Merc and being light it gets to the 45 MPH top speed in a flash They both are 18' and have the 82" beam it's just that the V5 had a sharper bow with more dead rise so being lighter with the 2 differences makes them ride very similar. The only difference is the V5 likes to wobble a little side to side on that dead rise when at wot but I think the lack of trim tabs and weight that the chief has may have something to do with it's stability over 40.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
So your older Chief has the narrower hull. Wonder when they increased it to 96. I had the wild idea of converting a wider Islander to SS trim. I guess I'll have to see what comes along.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I have an 18' SS. Buddy has a 22' SS V5. That V5 is a beast. TONS of room. He has an old Evinrude 200 on it and it pushes it to about 45MPH. It rides better than my 18' Starcraft but not as well as my heavy 20' saltwater fiberglass boat. It still feels fairly light on the water.

Watermann

They increased the beam width with the length, For the Chief 22'rs are 90" beam, it's the 1980's that saw the 96" beam 221V Islanders and of course the Chief was no more. The 25' Mk4 Chiefs were 96" but the last of them were made in 1979.

bunnymoney

Seaman
Saw this one Monday on an 1100 acre lake here in OR.
These guys looked pretty comfortable.

P1040211.JPG