Sylvan offshore vs islander/chief

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was looking on the interwebs and found a really good deal on an 18' sylvan cuddy boat. It looks ver similar to a Starcraft, I was wondering if people have been on these boats and what they think. I may be purchasing it to get me on the water in a tinny till my 22' islander project is complete. Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo268551.jpeg
    photo268551.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 2

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
They're the same as Starcrafts. Same company, different brand name.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very cool history, thank you for the information. I guess I will go and check out this boat.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chem I know you have a 70 on your 18', I have a 50 on my center console and it's a very reliable motor. Do you think a 50 would be enough for an 18' tin? I want to be able to plane with 4 adults. The motor on the boat is 100hp old Johnson. I don't know it's it's reliable and I don't want to get stranded. I haven't purchased it yet, hoping to go look at it this week some time.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think a 50 will do it when loaded. I had an issue with my 70 in which the remote box wasn't pulling the cable all the way to WOT, and it would barely plane after a minute or so trying with passengers on board.

If you buy the boat I'd just use the old 2 stroke. They're pretty darn reliable once you tidy them up. Mine starts right up every time. The starting procedure is essential, though.