Probably going to offer my 22ft'er for sale......need advice

Mike(nj)

Seaman
Well, this was my dream boat but came across another boat which the wife n kids like much more for a price I couldn't say no to. I'm trying to figure what its worth in the real world. It will need a bit of work. Here's some of the spec's:

1984? 22' starcraft
1984? 115hp tower of power (not running or ever did for me)
galvanized trailer

I have all paperwork for boat and trailer. Started doing a mild resto and pulled the floors and foam. Some holes in the hull and transom but not bad at all. Its very original and I'd say above average condition. So what do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo268473.jpg
    photo268473.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268474.jpg
    photo268474.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are half way-thru a restoration with a non-running motor....that makes it much much less sellable than a completed restoration.

you have holes in the transom and hull?

you have a $300 trailer with a free boat until you finish the restoration, then you have a $3000 boat

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
the pictures are too small........ id say the motor is a bust...maybe someone would buy it for parts..... for the big boats where guys go OUT far or make big trips...they don't want to mess around with troublesome motors.... NO THANK YOU.... sad reality is a partially stripped hull on a trailer will be hard pressed to get you $1000..... even a desirable hull like that girl.... the labor and expense of all the work that needs to be done to finnish and islander.....has to be well north of $3000...unless you do it yourself...then you are still taking $1500 in parts and pieces and materials......UGGHHH.....easier, easier said than done da da....... its hard to put a value on a partial anything.....MOST would shy away...only the die hards with short pockets will be kicking your tires

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My advice is to keep the Islander, stash it away out of her sight. For no more money than you'll get out of your dream boat why not? I have 2 SC boats, one cruiser for fun and a fishing boat. Take your time and restore her, you won't be sorry.

That TOP looks to me a Mariner version, they are less desirable to the TOP fans except for parts. I have a Merc TOP and they are super simple to work on and get going that is after you drop bank on all the new electrical parts that have the coating falling off the wires.

I sure hope you weren't made to swap your dream for some run of the mill bow rider glass boat. :eek:

Mike(nj)

Seaman
you are half way-thru a restoration with a non-running motor....that makes it much much less sellable than a completed restoration.

you have holes in the transom and hull?

you have a $300 trailer with a free boat until you finish the restoration, then you have a $3000 boat

I can't agree with a priceless boat........alum. scrap is at least $.40 per lb here so it still has some value. Not that I'd ever do that.

Mike(nj)

Seaman
My advice is to keep the Islander, stash it away out of her sight. For no more money than you'll get out of your dream boat why not? I have 2 SC boats, one cruiser for fun and a fishing boat. Take your time and restore her, you won't be sorry.

That TOP looks to me a Mariner version, they are less desirable to the TOP fans except for parts. I have a Merc TOP and they are super simple to work on and get going that is after you drop bank on all the new electrical parts that have the coating falling off the wires.

I sure hope you weren't made to swap your dream for some run of the mill bow rider glass boat. :eek:

Sorry bout the small pic's. Will try to get bigger ones soon. I'm not giving her away or scrapping so I will look into hiding her somewhere. Too bad she wasn't 15' smaller! LOL

I DID get a glass boat. Couldn't say no........original owner, fresh water only, low hrs, sitting and CHEAP!

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Keep it and restore it, when the time comes for an engine take the one off your new donor glasser boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I DID get a glass boat. Couldn't say no........original owner, fresh water only, low hrs, sitting and CHEAP!

​So you bought a bigger project that will require more time and money to finish than this one?