Jupiter or Nassau

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
I'm back. I had an 18SS a few years back. Great boat, but ran into issues with the old tower of power. I moved to the dark side and had great luck with a 4.3 Volvo powered Caravelle. I sold that boat last year and needless to say I have the itch for an aluminum boat. While I would love to build a Chieftain or Islander it just doesn't fit into the budget or timeframe. However a 16' with a 50-90hp outboard seems to fit the bill nicely. Any suggestions or recommendations?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nassaus are the same length as Jupiters, but are a little narrower and less freeboard. The Nassau has a flat hull at the stern and the 1965-up Jupiter have a concave V hull so the stern isn't flat.

Jupiters handle rough water a little better and were made for a longer time than Nassaus. Nassau max at 75 HP and Jupiters are up to 85 HP.

Both are kind of rare now, so take which ever you can find. I enjoy my Nassau. Hope this helps some.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I had a Jupiter and found it to be really sea-worthy for the length. You sure you want a closed bow? When I had one I was jonesing for an open the whole time I had it.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think a closed bow would bother me on a boat that small. In fact I would love to get an Islander or Chief someday. A little Jupiter would be awesome to tow behind a houseboat and I see it as a jet ski or paddle board sitting on the beach. Also a great boat for the kids to start taking out. The bigger boats are for the long runs...this boat would be just for fun.

GA_Boater

I don't think a closed bow would bother me on a boat that small. In fact I would love to get an Islander or Chief someday. A little Jupiter would be awesome to tow behind a houseboat and I see it as a jet ski or paddle board sitting on the beach. Also a great boat for the kids to start taking out. The bigger boats are for the long runs...this boat would be just for fun.

A Jet or JetStar, both 15 footers, would suit you needs to hit the beach. They are closed bow.

A 16' SS wouldn't be a bad choice either. With an open bow, beach in and out is a little easier.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The 16' SS will most likely be the easiest to come by, they are and were a very popular boat and SC made scores of them. If you're beaching fun involves getting out of the boat an open bow will serve you much better as would pulling the bow line of the boat up to the back of a house boat and boarding.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
I had a 1973 18' SS and it was awesome. But even a16' SS is more than I want to tackle right now. I could make quick work of a Jet or Jupiter. We are going to Powell at the end of August...I have my eyes peeled but haven't found anything yet. I will be patient for the right project to come along. I'm not totally opposed to another SS but it would have to be too good to pass up.

GA_Boater

You just might find one of those "water ready" tinnies for cheap. :rolleyes:

bunnymoney

Seaman
Hi GA_Boater,

Since you are talking about both a Jupiter and a Nassau, can you compare the "walk-about" stability of both on relatively calm waters?

It would seem the Jupiter with it's V bottom would handle rougher water and the Nassau with it's flatter bottom (similar to a Jet or JetStar) would prefer somewhat calmer waters. I believe the HP distinctions can be related to the bottom shapes and their requirements to plane and cruise.

I like my JetStar, but a little larger might be nice.

Another question: Which 16'er would troll straighter with the least amount of correction?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Both are light boats and bounce around if there are wakes and waves.

Trolling is something I no experience with except at idle in gear. It does take correction to keep straight if she's bouncing around. A heavier boat might be a little better.