Late 70s early 80s 22' islander

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
there has to be 10Xs more I/O project boats available in Islander trim than OB models..... if you are redoing the floors and transom.... it almost doesn't matter what you start with as long as you have all the parts.... those ocean runner and ocean pro motors are nice... I have a few.....love them..... those motors usually run about $2500-$3500 all day long...if you can find them..... but any motor purchase requires due dilligence

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
there has to be 10Xs more I/O project boats available in Islander trim than OB models..... if you are redoing the floors and transom.... it almost doesn't matter what you start with as long as you have all the parts.... those ocean runner and ocean pro motors are nice... I have a few.....love them..... those motors usually run about $2500-$3500 all day long...if you can find them..... but any motor purchase requires due dilligence

Yeah I'm hoping that this one will work out, I'm just not sure, the guy seems a little off on the phone. I'm not going to get to excited till its in my yard.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well not a tin boat but the two older kids and I took out our center console and did a little fishing tonight. Not much luck but we had fun on Bristol pond.

Attachments

• photo267346.jpeg
    photo267346.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey fun is what it's all about and getting our future boaters hooked on the water.

Watermann

Hey free is good, some guys are just natural born bottom feeders :lol:

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well the donor boat didn't work out. The guy was a flake. We had a deal set up, but now he won't answer my phone or txt back, I knew something seemed off with him from the beginning. So I'm back to looking for a donor boat, I really think I want to find a 4.3 and switch it to I/O.

Last edited:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
The OB version of the Islanders are pretty rare, I'd really reconsider switching to an i/o. If you are dead set on switching to an i/o you should consider looking for one, they seem to be a dime a dozen, then sell off yours. There's gotta be someone looking for an OB model in you neck of the woods. I know that is gonna be my next resto, just need to find one.
Ultimately it is your boat though so dont let anyone change your mind on what you want to do. Either way I'll be following your thread as its gonna be a great resto.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The OB version of the Islanders are pretty rare, I'd really reconsider switching to an i/o. If you are dead set on switching to an i/o you should consider looking for one, they seem to be a dime a dozen, then sell off yours. There's gotta be someone looking for an OB model in you neck of the woods. I know that is gonna be my next resto, just need to find one.
Ultimately it is your boat though so dont let anyone change your mind on what you want to do. Either way I'll be following your thread as its gonna be a great resto.

Yeah I have considered the fact that there isn't a lot of OB models out there. I would defiantly be interested in trading some one with a 22' chief I/O in the same shape. I just haven't been able to come across one. I saw this one and the price was right(traded a trailer and 300$) but I keep going back and forth and the deal maker for me is the fact the 4.3 is a reliable strong engine and it will make the boat fast enough to ski behind yet fuel efficienct enough for me to get where I want and fish. Trying to find a donor boat with a big reliable OB in the price range I want to spend is going to be an issue. I have a lot of work ahead of me before I need to worry about it.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I've literally never seen an OB to IO conversion in my many years of perusing boat restoration forums. There have got to be multiple reasons for that. I've already voiced my opinion on that, but, like Candutch said, it's your boat, your time, and your money. You'll be fabricating a lot of structural elements off the cuff (unless you have CAD software and structural engineering skills).

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an I/o and even being a 2005 I had to replace the entire engine and rebuild the lower unit. I had to buy a bunch of tools, parts and learn a lot. It took months. If I had an outboard it would've been a whole lot easier. If I were you I'd look for a Yamaha or Suzuki 4 stroke outboard.

Neil

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Ejipner, we now have a "boat parts" section on the VT Craigslist. Check it out, there are a bunch of outboards coming and going there. It may save you the hassle of a donor boat if you keep your eyes open there.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand where your coming from but I look st watermans and he had change everything to go from the 4 banger to the 6cyl. I have access to aluminum and I need to rebuild the transom anyways.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I understand where your coming from but I look st watermans and he had change everything to go from the 4 banger to the 6cyl. I have access to aluminum and I need to rebuild the transom anyways.

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to discourage you if you feel confident in your fabrication skills. I just know that it would likely be an abandoned project for most backyard boat builders. If you think it can work, go for it and we'll all cheer you on.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to discourage you if you feel confident in your fabrication skills. I just know that it would likely be an abandoned project for most backyard boat builders. If you think it can work, go for it and we'll all cheer you on.

No worries, I figure in the next two weeks if I can put an hour or two everyday after work and then use the weekend while the kids are gone I should get a huge chunk done and then will keep chugging along the rest of the summer. I am going to keep my eyes open and keep scrolling CL for a donor boat, whether OB or I/O, and I'm not going to get hung up on it till the end of the summer anyways. As long as I get the motor before the winter, I should be able to get the boat in the water for next summer. That is my goal. My glass boat needs to overhauled next year, or sold. If the motor was big enough I would use that, but a 50hp isn't going to cut it for this build.

Watermann

The only issue that will take the most effort is replacing or covering the OB cut out transom with a full size skin and getting the keyhole right. Then motor mounts. Next issue would be the transom cover. All of that is very doable and if you get a 4.3 L I have a complete measurement schematic in PDF of the motor and transom assembly that will be of great value. Just PM me anytime.

There's no special engineering feat for you to accomplish to make the IO conversion other than the motor mounts. I did it and without a degree. :lol:

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The only issue that will take the most effort is replacing or covering the OB cut out transom with a full size skin and getting the keyhole right. Then motor mounts. Next issue would be the transom cover. All of that is very doable and if you get a 4.3 L I have a complete measurement schematic in PDF of the motor and transom assembly that will be of great value. Just PM me anytime.

There's no special engineering feat for you to accomplish to make the IO conversion other than the motor mounts. I did it and without a degree. :lol:

I was thinking I could just add aluminum on top of the skin and sandwich it between the new transom wood, the top part of the transom doesn't take a lot of weight for I/O like an OB does.

The motor mounts would be the hardest part of the conversion.

H20 how do you like the 4.3?

Watermann

The transom skin is there to keep water out and that's about it once bolted to the transom wood.

I love the 4.3 LX 205 HP and think the 4bbl carb is what makes it so special. over the 175 HP version with the 2 bbl. I would love to have a newer Gen 2 with vortec heads at 220 HP but a 15 HP increase is not enough gain to spend bank on it. Since i have both I can say that cruising in an IO boat is so much nicer than an OB, for one I can see my wake and not an advertisement for an OB motor company.

Maybe one day I will upgrade the intake and exhaust manifolds to aluminum and dump 100 Lbs of cast iron.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well last night I traded my 16' sportcraft center consol for a 19' sylvan offshore. The boat needs some restoration, but it is something I would be able to restore and use. I am in a situation where I don't know if I should continue this restoration kniwing it may take as long as Jason's, or do I sell it knowing I have next to nothing in it. The difference between a 19' and 22' isn't really enough for me to justify to the wife is it? If I sell it, I could try to find a 25'. I need opinions on the direction I should go, keep it, the extra three feet and deeper hull is a huge difference, or send it while you have next to nothing in it and look, for,a 25'. If I send it, I feel like I should gulvit and replace the floor seems how I'm almost there anyways and it will be a selling point.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The new addition, also can I start. Thread on the Starcraft page considering it is basically the same boat and after the summer it won't have any decals to say otherwise.

Attachments

• photo268551.jpeg
    photo268551.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo270572.jpeg
    photo270572.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.