Late 70s early 80s 22' islander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked up a project boat a couple weekends ago. It is set up for an OB but I've been debating one converting to inboard outboard. I also am having issues uploading pictures. It says the file is to big. How do I change this or make it work

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay figured out how to upload pictures and I think I may have found an outboard. What do people think of the 1996 evenrude ocean pro 175. It's carbureted?

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the Starmada. That's two good finds right there. Can't beat using a donor boat while restoring the real thing. Nice motor on that use able donor as well.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well the best part of the donor boat is I would be trading my 16' center console sportcraft for it. So it won't cost me anything, and I will still have a boat for this summer

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I know this is sacrilege around here, but that Wellcraft is a well regarded hull and will handle most days on Champlain better than the islander. But it likely needs an expensive and time consuming rebuild due to its age and condition.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is sacrilege around here, but that Wellcraft is a well regarded hull and will handle most days on Champlain better than the islander. But it likely needs an expensive and time consuming rebuild due to its age and condition.

Yeah I know it's a good hull, and may handle the big lake better, but I don't want to deal with another glass boat. If I was to keep wellcraft I would have to do the same sort of demo and rebuild as I'm going to have to for the islander. My only hope is that the islander will last longer. And the islander has a bigger cabin so the kids can get out of the sun or maybe we can sleep over in it.

If your interested in it though you can have it once I have stripped the motor and anything else I may need. It will even have a trailer. Lol

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome to the Starmada. That's two good finds right there. Can't beat using a donor boat while restoring the real thing. Nice motor on that use able donor as well.

So I bought the sportcraft last summer after selling a bass tracker. It came on a galvanized trailer but it needed adjustment and it didn't load well, I ended up getting a boat on a trailer for free and switched the sportcraft to the new trailer and trashed the other boat. I then traded the galvanized trailer for the islander. So far I'm making out fairly good.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah I know it's a good hull, and may handle the big lake better, but I don't want to deal with another glass boat. If I was to keep wellcraft I would have to do the same sort of demo and rebuild as I'm going to have to for the islander. My only hope is that the islander will last longer. And the islander has a bigger cabin so the kids can get out of the sun or maybe we can sleep over in it.

If your interested in it though you can have it once I have stripped the motor and anything else I may need. It will even have a trailer. Lol

Ha, no thanks! It would be a nice boat to restore, but I got an aluminum hull for the same reason you did...cheap and easy.

That would be like $3K in glass and poly resin before you even thought about what your labor is worth. But someone might take it off your hands.

That Islander will be a rocket with that engine, and it's got a good rep for reliability and ease of maintenance. A bit thirsty, but you can buy a lot of gas for what a newer engine costs. That's a good deal with engine and trailer.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada,

Yeah that is nice Islander for a resto, you will be very happy with her once finished. Keeping it an OB is the way to go.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:welcome: to the Starmada,

Yeah that is nice Islander for a resto, you will be very happy with her once finished. Keeping it an OB is the way to go.

Well it all depends on Sunday. I'm going to look at the wellcraft and if the motor checks out it will be in good shape and ready for this winter. If the trade doesn't happen though we will see. I can find all sorts of inboard out board donor boat on CL. Dime a dozen.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it's looking like my donor boat may not work out. I'm back to thinking I may want to convert it to inboard outboard. Has any one done this? I can't imagine it to be that big of a deal considering I need to redo the transom anyways. But I know the aluminum transom part doesn't go as high as it does for the IB OB (inboard outboard what is the faster way of typing this?) Has anyone on here done this or can direct me to a thread? I have looked at has thread and watermans thread quite a bit for ideas.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well just got off the phone with the guy and maybe the deal is back on only this time for cash. And a whole lot less then the asking price...

I also scored some blue board today for free from work. I think I may be close to what I need.

Sunday is demo day so I will post pics Sunday night.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
I am most familiar with (and have always owned myself) glasser IO's, but we do have a little Alumacraft with a Honda 25 hp OB up at the (other) lake. I really like the idea of an aluminum boat with an OB. Why the desire to convert to IO?

jbcurt00

Staff member
No OB to I/O conversions that I'm aware of.

Lots of work that ^^^

Isnt the donor an outboard boat?

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No OB to I/O conversions that I'm aware of.

Lots of work that ^^^

Isnt the donor an outboard boat?
The donor is an OB but I'm not sure if it is what he is says, I talked to him on the phone and he seems like he is holding something back and maybe there is something wrong with it.

I can find IO all over the place. Would it be worth looking into if this donor doesn't work out or should I keep looking for a nice OB in my budget?

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you own an OB boat, I suggest shopping for an OB.

Shopping for an I/O to shoehorn into an OB boat, sounds like a lot of extra work....

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
You don't need an outboard right away. You can do 99℅ of the rebuild and then bolt whatever outboard you find on when you're ready to use the boat. I'd be looking for a 115-150 for that boat.

An outboard to i/o conversion won't be a good use of your time and likely won't end up being something that you're happy with...and I just can't think of any advantage to it.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You don't need an outboard right away. You can do 99℅ of the rebuild and then bolt whatever outboard you find on when you're ready to use the boat. I'd be looking for a 115-150 for that boat.

An outboard to i/o conversion won't be a good use of your time and likely won't end up being something that you're happy with...and I just can't think of any advantage to it.

10-4. I am hoping to make leaps and bounds on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.