my new old 1988 ss20v

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've just never seen the factory carpet the gunnels and console before but maybe they did in the later years and what you're seeing is the rotten carpet backing stuck on.

Personally I do not like carpet in my boats and have opted instead for paint, marine vinyl for panels and Nautolex vinyl deck covering. Gluvit is only for use in sealing the seams and rivets.

This is what the carpet mess left in my SS after being torn out. You can see the yellowed glue, black backing and hideous blue carpet remnants.

y4m-TR66-xoJsdpwAgIAt7JVnkgFIetB_cjaIgpI9FgDGbSShk12IprGVJt1VMBIxmaC3du3qbOpM5wXZXoWBy36uzZntENqiyfksVSRqATHjCPWhyfeoFrPI2OszhqZWAYbM4SSkoomgMcQWxd6XrQp_d2ithRiEwsXQJWEDPkfAbPAVZP1cRG4Jwyd-zhf9Kd1w3H09y-OzA5WaVaCYTpeg

ab59

Ensign
Yup , I have the same in my boat but in those places that are exposed to direct sunlight and heat the black is prominent . That said , the black crap may in fact be a mix of both , bed liner and some kind of melted carpet backing mixed with the glue . I dunno . I believe that the boat spent many years in Lake Havasu , Nevada where temps are commonly 124* every year may have played a part in the carpet braking down to that point .
I asked about the Gluevit thinking that water soaked carpet may cause the rivets , screws and fixtures to leak water into the boat un-necessarily . I would go with paint but it gets into the 110* here or most of the summer and the thought of laying ones arm down ( or some one in a bikini ) on a painted metal surface in that kind of heat may take all the fun out of the day .

ab59

Ensign
I don't think the black garbage under the windshield is carpet backing and is either the bed liner or some kind of sealer that Starcraft used that year.

Decker83

Commander
Decker83-- the wine comment was in reference to starting back to work too early when recovering from a medical condition . Was not really referring to Alcohol .

My apologies to you sir.. I totally misunderstood what you were saying.. Very glad to hear you don't use power tools and drink alcohol..:D

ab59

Ensign
Hey all, I find myself in need of parts for my driver side console . The cowl or dashboard that houses the instrument cluster panel is damaged beyond repair and I can not find a new one anywhere . Been combing the net for a replacement but no luck in a 4 day search. This old one is really busted up and is beyond restoration.
If anyone out there has updated their similar boat and still have a dashboard like this and want to sell it please let me know . A few pics of what I need. first the cluster panel that goes inside the dash. Then the dash.

Attachments

• DSC02180.JPG
    DSC02180.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02181.JPG
    DSC02181.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02182.JPG
    DSC02182.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02184.JPG
    DSC02184.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ab59

Ensign
OOps forgot to post the pictures onto the page but they are there if you click. A few more--

DSC02185.JPG DSC02186.JPG DSC02187.JPG DSC02190.JPG

Decker83

Commander
You may have to find a sheet metal shop and have them make a new one for you..

ab59

Ensign
Hey Decker83--- We must be on the same wave length today . I called a couple of sheet metal fabricators today but those that didn't have a disconnected number would not answer their phone ! Guess business is so good they don't need to deal with phone calls , lol. I will try some others in another town tomorrow . I spent hours today looking for a new old stock or used in reasonable condition but the only one I found was on eBay and looks like the guy cut it out and ruined the part I wanted . Something made of sheet metal or Aluminum would be a much more superior dash than the plastic anyway if it is cost effective .

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If you just need the face plate I would use the old one for a template and cut a new one. If not AL you could use some lexan and wrap with the carbon fiber vinyl.

ab59

Ensign
Watermann-- The panel I have is a little cracked but repairable . I thought about making a new one but did not want to loose the Starcraft logo and original printing . The dash that it mounts to is more than likely out of my ability to create , without it looking like Jethro Bodine dun made it out yonder by the cement pond .lol.
Hey I found 3 1988 Starcraft boats with that black crap all over them online . Searched a long time but found some. One looked excellent but also looked like someone just put it on there along with the front casting deck. The other two looked a great deal like the haggard , worn bare in spots , worn out mess that I had .
Funny that after finding them that it still did not answer the question of whether or not Starcraft put it on there at the factory. I was so curious that I emailed the one who had the fresh looking bed liner and asked him if he put it on there or if it was like that when he bought it but he never answered . I believe it was for sale up in Washington Craigslist somewhere but not positive . That stuff sure looks good when it is first put on there, don't know about a couple of years down the road.
Guess he was in no mood to answer questions and just wanted to sell it with no stupid questions about the boat that did not lead to a sale .

Last edited:

ab59

Ensign
Anyone live near Wisconsin ?? eBay has a 1988 Islander up for auction now at 895.00 at rawhide sales . Have a look, seems like most of the good deals come from back east . If your close you may want to have a look, just sayin------

Pi Man

Cadet
No Title

This was on my 1988 SS181 when I bought it. The black is a type of carpet but no black glue, just light brouwn and hard as rock. The carpet rub/scrapes off easily but the glue requires a good scrape to remove

Attachments

• photo280233.jpg
    photo280233.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
Pi man -- thanks for the reply , sorry about the late reply but I keep getting blindsided by medical crappola . Your boat looks a lot like mine did before I scraped all the black gunk off. I got a reply from another owner of a 1988 ss as well that has his boat up for sale on C.L. in Washington that still has the original Navy blue carpet on the gunnels and front deck as well so I guess between the both of you guys it is safe to believe that Starcraft did not send these out with black crap on them instead of carpet or paint. Don't really understand how the black bed liner got sandwiched deeply between riveted Aluminum and under original carpet though but not really important in the scheme of things . I have decided to go back with carpet on the gunnels myself because of the intense heat here in the summertime thinking that on a day that hit 115* a painted surface would be too hot and just laying an arm or something else on the gunnels might burn the living daylights out of some one.
I left most of the old brown glue on the boat and just laid new carpet and glue over that . I did a test strip of carpet before laying the main carpet and in two hours I could barley get it back off and tore it in pieces getting it off so not to worried about the new carpet coming loose anytime soon and saved at least a week in prep.

ab59

Ensign
Well I am trying to get as much done on my boat as I can before I start getting fried up for 7 weeks and the more I try to get done the more work I seem to find . The ol one step forward and three steps back seems to be ringing in my ears. I thought that I would pull the last vertical upholstered board out of the bow where the cushions up front stop. Looks like it may be structural so I need to get it rite. After taking out all of the rivets and screws I find that it needs to come straight up and unless I cut it in several pieces I will need to remove the front cap and that won't help me get the new one back in.. There are blind or solid rivets around the outside of the cap that need to come out , should I grind off the heads then knock them out or cut the bottom side and drive them up ? I have drilled out all the pop rivets that are hollow inside with no problems but this will be the first dealing with the solid rivets. About putting it back together, can I just install the 3/16 hollow pop rivets in place of the solid rivets or should I go get what I need to put solid rivets back in ?

ab59

Ensign
OK - removed the rivets by cutting the shank off with an oscillating plunge cutter and then popped the head out with a blind punch. Anyone have any reason why I should not use the hollow type pop rivet in place of the solid rivets ??

jbcurt00

Staff member
Swap hollow pop for solid ribets, where?

Closed end blinds are stronger then hollow pop rivets.

Use aluminum mandrel rivets

ab59

Ensign
jbcurt00-- I had to remove the cap in the bow to get to the last panel out for upholstery and wood replacement . Not really sure how much strain is on the flexible cap so not sure that the solid rivets are really needed. When removing the rivets I did see that they were mixed with both the pop rivets and the solid rivets so not even sure what was there first .

ab59

Ensign
Hey WM-- thanks , that means I can do the job with what I have for a change. Had to pull the 11 ft side panel as well and re sew everything . This one has been an interesting experience and when I finally finish it I'm going to drag my feet on selling it if I can and at least get some enjoyment for all the headaches . will see