New 1975 18' SS

Brand new to boating and have just purchased a 1975 SS. Got some bugs worked out of the electrical system and am itching to take her out. What else should I check before my maiden voyage? Don't want my wife to think I'm a total numbskull when she has to paddle back to the boat landing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard :wave:

It would be great to see some pics of your SS. The motor will need a water pump kit put in the lower for sure if it hasn't been done lately. It's an easy repair with lots of vids and tutorials online. This ia a must so you don't loose the motor from no/not enough water flow to the power head.

No Title

My new boat. Looking forward to taking her out.

Attachments

• photo264151.jpeg
    photo264151.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264152.jpeg
    photo264152.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome and congrats! That ss looks like it's been well taken care of. I'm sure you'll have tons of enjoyment with it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My new boat. Looking forward to taking her out.

Lookin good there!

fetch

Thanks everyone. Took her out last weekend and everything was perfect. The wife even had fun. Cant wait to go back out.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Wow...that boat is mint...and ALL original! It's the exact color/model that my SS started life as.

The previous owner(s) took very good care of it (yours...not mine!)

classiccat, everything is original. Was a little concerned that a boat of this age would have some "issues" but so far I have found none. Going to replace the fuel lines this weekend but other than that it's been smooth sailing, knock on wood.

classiccat, I looked thru your resto thread but didn't see any pictures of the finished boat... I'd love to see one, or two.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
classiccat, I looked thru your resto thread but didn't see any pictures of the finished boat... I'd love to see one, or two.

Ouch! That's below the belt guys! :lol:

I haven't really resumed the project since relocating...lets just say that I've been ambushed by some life events as well as a high-maintenance (& highly neglected) property.

No worries ...even the Admiral asks when work will commence. :thumb:

This is what mine looked like when I saved it from impending doom: