1965 Starcraft Arrow 14ft

Oopsnooars

Cadet
So I got a steal of a deal on a1965 14ft Arrow on trailer with a 40 HP Johnson Electric. Outboard runs and sounds good but leaks a lil gear oil from the lower.
Over all im new to boats and figured id jump right into a job way over my head so here i am.

I think the usual shakedown is, Transom check/drill, I get no wood just glass it seems..Hmm. This has been re engineered so to say. will have to wait till i can post pics to clarify. Super strong i cant budge it screwin with the big ole heavy outboard hangin on it.. Thinkn he modified the shape of the transom also, maybe i dunno. looks like pictures of a 68 but says 65 14 arrow on the original boat sticker.

The Deck/floor is super solid and has been coated in rhino liner so i hope underneath was fixed if needed when the transom was fiddled with. I will be cutting into the deck and checkin out what lies beneath.

the Hull is what scares me. i guess maybe because well thats the boat HaHa.
It has some large fiberglass patches i guess id call them where the Bunks run along the hull for the trailer. Dude said they were put there to avoid damage. Fishy soundn to me.

He used the boats semi regularly and ive seen videos of it runnin on the water, sounds good kinda hauls butt for a lil thing. looks good. But out of the water , Not so good lookin. For now.

Ill get some pictures up as soon as i can.

Any tips any warning anything and everything welcome as far as issues i should address. Ive read through some resto jobs here but all on different boats.
Im gonna restore it at least to safe if possible. And to Super nice if its not a junk hull.

I think thats it for the time being, Thanks a bunch

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
On a little boat like that I wouldn't go looking for trouble. If the transom doesn't flex and the floor is solid I'd just enjoy her!

Oopsnooars

Cadet
I took a Endoscope camera and poked around under the deck, nothing looks horrible, just looks like glass although i didnt get inside the stingers i think theyre called. but from inside above they look good..

Think im gonna slap a new coat of paint on the thing and call it a day as far as the boat goes structurally.
Is Fasco steel flex 9x appropriate for the hull paint? seems really affordable. or is there a better non 300 a gallon option?
The paints worn through to the hull on the Front from beaching and where the bunks rub.

Onto getting a new impeller in and finding the leak in the lower.

Oopsnooars

Cadet
Long time no post but im back. Had to leave it parked for quite a while to far away to work on.

Anyhow back to getting this guy going proper.

Time to re inspect inside the deck as i forget what i saw besides it looked in decent shape not rotted.
ill update as i go along.
Glad to have found a forum with people that have experience in these lil boats.

Oopsnooars

Cadet
Cut the deck open to get a better look at the stringers. No doubt theyre all hollow fiberglass guessing the wood turned to mulch years ago and the previous owner just cleared it out and sealed her up. the transom is solid top to bottom.
Gonna restore/rebuild it but its gotta wait until its no longer 110 outside. Tempting to just fill it full of closed cell foam and pray but thats no fun.

Till then the 5hp on my fishing canoe it is.