Fixing up a well-used starcraft... Maybe?

Formsetter91

Recruit
Hi everybody, im new to the site, fairly unfamiliar to boats. But i did some side work for an old employer and part of the deal was his late dads old boat. As far as i can tell based on your old brochures shes a mid-late 60's mariner V 16' (although is roughly 16'2" from outside of transom to tip of bow)... Long story short i just towed her home and after finding my way to your site realized it could be my next project (once i button up the horses area and my little workshop) she seems to be sound structurally but have yet to put her in water. The hull is rivited aluminum that was once green then repainted blue.The deck is solid 3/4" plywood covered in some type of outdoor carpeting and i found there are stacked layers of 1" foam below... My primary objectives were
1) getting the motor running. Its a mercury 35 horse twin, which i havent even tried firing yet.

2)fixing the steering which i know very little about but it looks incomplete

3) painting at least the exterior after finding out if she is watertight (dont want to deal with the interior unless i end up pulling the deck

My questions are
1) is this something i should/ can tackle
2) for a boat this old is it enough to get it running and "spit shine" or should i spend the money and dig deeper
3) are there flaws or defects that i am overlooking that i should check for maybe something common on this type or model hull

4) is there a place i can look for a badge/ serial number/ model/ year i looked on the transom and found a hin plate screwed on but i understand these can be misleading in older boat

Thanks in advance you guys seem patient and helpful based on everything I've read so far in my research.

Also i tried uploading a few pics but it didn't work, am i doing it wrong on the websites end or is it my phone?

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
My questions are
1) is this something i should/ can tackle

Absolutely. If I can do it anyone can.

2) for a boat this old is it enough to get it running and "spit shine" or should i spend the money and dig deeper

Entirely up to you. There are painstaking restorations here and hack jobs like mine. Whatever, just make sure it's safe.

3) are there flaws or defects that i am overlooking that i should check for maybe something common on this type or model hull

Check the transom, it's likely rotten...same with the deck. Check for cracks in the splashwell. Do a leak test to find leaking rivets.

4) is there a place i can look for a badge/ serial number/ model/ year i looked on the transom and found a hin plate screwed on but i understand these can be misleading in older boat

It's likely too old for a HIN. Your state DMV should be able to hook you up.

When you're ready to ask specific question, i.e. when you get going on the project, this place will answer all of them. It's a great resource. You also just got one of the most economical boats in existence to rebuild and operate.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Please dont start multiple topics on multiple forums about the same subject.

As this topic had a reply, the other was deleted.

If you think you"ve started a tooic in the wromg forum and want it moved, jist PM any Mod and ask for it to be moved.

Here or the resto forum is fine. Some prefer to discuss their project here, in the SC forum, others the resto forum. Either is fine.

Good luck w your project and welcome to the Tin-sanity.

pckeen

Commander
Good luck with this. Before you do any significant work, do you have title to the boat and trailer?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard Form,

Looking forward to seeing a Mariner put back on the water, for some reason not many ever get finished here and the guys just disappear.