14' SC Rebuild

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trip was a bust, too many issues even for a fixer upper. I really shouldn't be fixating on the OB, as 99.7% of my fishing is in Gas restricted lakes less than a mile long. That's why I'm considering something I can easily remove and install for the one or two trips annually to big water. At this stage of the game I have time to look and consider, I guess.
Picked up more 2" angle, finished sealing the decking with epoxy (this stuff has a long shelf life, over 10 years old!), waiting impatiently for better weather to work outdoors.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice progress and on a 14'r I would not even think of going more than a 25 HP OB, way too much weight and power to be on there with a 40 HP.

On the stringer patch job, I've used 5200 as an adhesive on similar crack repairs as it's a powerful adhesive as well as sealant.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was surprised when I finally found the capacity plate and saw the 40 hp rating.

Still having weather issues here, not complaining, we are in a drought and need every drop we can get. Will be back at it soon.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

More stringer cross braces installed and a piece of angle along the bottom edge of the stringer to strengthen. One cross brace too high, will have to drill out and cut it off. Slow going now.

Attachments

• photo280127.jpg
    photo280127.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 4

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Got the stringer braces finished, braced side to side every two feet.
A local builder gave me a bunch of scraps of insulation board for flotation. Crammed as much in as I could and then put deck in place.
There's more flotation than pictures, that was where I stopped for lunch.
Decking has 3 coats 'poxy on flats and 5 on edges.

Attachments

• photo280163.jpg
    photo280163.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo280164.jpg
    photo280164.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 6

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A question: at the bow, the ribs are visible above the deck, so, water can get under the deck. Since these boats have limber holes all the length of the boat does it matter if I don't put a raised deck forward to cover the ribs and keep as much water out as possible ( this is not a big water boat, mostly small lakes)?

Watermann

Are you asking if it's alright to not install a bow deck above the base level deck? If so yeah I see no issue with that with water, as long as more is on the outside than the inside that is :lol:. The only thing is how it looks with the notches and exposed ribs.

Bracing looks great btw.

So what's up with the rotten piece of ply held on by a rusty screws?

fetch

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Raised deck then, I'm already tired of looking at that area as it is.
That good looking, pristine piece of plywood is serving as a stiffener for the gunnel right now and will be going away soon. I'm thinking about trying to fashion a rod holder in that area on both sides. That should serve to help stiffen the gunnel as well as keep rods safe.

Watermann

The raised deck will give you some storage as well.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Woohoo, spring is here, time to get back on it!

Sold my old Bay boat yesterday, now time to get this one done for a splash before year's end. Starting to make cardboard templates for the raised deck forward and getting transom area ready to install the new transom.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With regard to the raised decks, I'm guessing that I should not go too high off the sole as the higher I go, the tippier the boat will be. 8" high from the lower deck gives very little storage underneath, so am considering 12" high. The rear deck will be higher, but the boat is a bit wider in that area.

Let me know if this sounds about right, please.

Watermann

No sure how high up a foot would be on your particular boat, maybe post a pic with something marking that 12" height for a visual of how high that will be in the bow.It does sound about right as the lower you go the less you gain in deck space above and of course storage space underneath.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, this is right at 8.5", doesn't look too bad, storage okay going back toward the stern, little tight nearer the bow. Enough room for anchors, rode, etc I think.

The factory splashwell goes in then a raised deck just forward of it, enough for a seat and plenty of storage under that area. Still hanging on to that rotted piece of plywood:).

Attachments

• photo287524.jpg
    photo287524.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 4

Watermann

Not too bad, is there anything you plan on storing under deck that has a specific height, like a battery?

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not too bad, is there anything you plan on storing under deck that has a specific height, like a battery?

Yep, and thanks for the reminder! I will have to go a minimum of 10" to allow for the battery.

Watermann

Looks to be good height compromise for space above and below.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I'm at the point that I need to take the trailer down and redo it before the boat gets too heavy for me to get it back up on the trailer. I've ordered 3 tires and all new rollers, bolsters and everything else that isn't a trailer frame. Once it is apart I'll sand it down, prime and repaint. The new bunks will lay flat.
This trailer has been modified in the past, and does not fit the boat as it should lengthwise. The boat's transom hangs over the end of the bunk by a foot. I have a local welding shop fabricating a 2' rectangle that they will weld on so the trailer fits the boat. In it's current state, it does not fit that 60/40 ratio that trailers should be.

Attachments

• photo287764.jpg
    photo287764.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 11

Watermann

Oh man that's a mangy looking little trailer, not quite as bad as the last one I did for my SS but with some elbow grease it'll look new again.

Hey do you have a big dog around there or is something else taking a leak? :lol:

fetch

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
LOL, I forgot that I'd just sprayed the wheel bolts with pb blast to help free them up.