14' SC Rebuild

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, just saved this boat from the scrap metal dealer, will be gutting it down to bare metal and starting over. Can't figure out what model it is, any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
frazoo

Edit, working on posting pics, be back soon.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like I need to resize, will get to that tonight. Oh, this is a '71 (I know, hard without the pic...).

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I have it now. All wood totally rotten, there was actually three layers of wood on the deck. Started the deconstruct, ordering plywood tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20170413_173010.jpg
    IMG_20170413_173010.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170413_172917.jpg
    IMG_20170413_172917.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 23

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was looking through some of the uploaded brochures someone was kind enough to take the time to find and post, was thinking that this 1971 14' might be a Sea Scamp, but can't tell for sure as I am trying to view with my cell phone. Anyone?
Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
I doubt its a Scamp, yours has what looks to be a factory splashwell. A Scamp doesnt.

Also on my phone so surfing to ID a boat isnt ideal....

Better pix would help. Pix posting help
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

I prefer, use and recommend option3 for pix and use Photobucket. There are other 3rd party pix hosting sites.

Does yours have a small fore dexk? Not nearly big enough to be considered a closed bow but a small(ish) triangle thats wider then the gunwales that run into it?

Or a very small area, about the same width as the gunwale?

That will help ID it. As will an accurate measurements.

Is it exactly 14ft transom to bow? 14ft 3in, 14ft 6in?

How wide is the transom.

W out digging thru all the brochures and having better pix of yours in total, interior too, my best guess is a 14ft center or single side console. IIRC, that may make it a 14ft StarTrek or similar...

It lools like yours is (was) orange and is been painted over blue?

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. I'll be working on better pics next week, for right now, this is the best I could get.
It appears that the color was orange as you thought, length is exactly 14', transom width just under 60' unless you measure outside to outside of the transom corner support pieces, then it's 60" (not sure the proper name of those. No real deck at bow, only the bit where the gunnels meet. There is one stringer running down the center and there was a side mount console steering area.
Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20170414_202325.jpg
    IMG_20170414_202325.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 14

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to show the forward area where gunnels meet.

Attachments

• IMG_20170414_210008.jpg
    IMG_20170414_210008.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 14

jbcurt00

Staff member
You have a 14ft closed bow SC thats had a bow-ectomy,.

Sunbirds and Novas came in orange, were closed bow and were 14ftrs, IIRC. I dont think Jets or Jet Stars came in orange.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Many thanks for that info, I thought something looked a bit "off" with the gunnels just forward of where the console used to be. Grabbed the flashlight and checked it out after reading your post and low and behold, there it was, a cut on both sides where a PO had removed the closed bow.
I kinda liked the configuration it had been changed to, there was a deck added from the transom forward 54" with a pedestal seat and another pedestal seat near the bow. Since the steering assembly is shot, I'm thinking about a tiller-steered OB, with the same rear deck built in with a seat mounted without pedestal there. But with current condition, that will be some time down the road.
Thanks again for your help!

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, interior cleaned out down to bare metal, still need to tear out old transom sawdust, but am thinking to wait until I get the new deck down. I have a couple questions that I could not find answers for in a search.
First, the gunnels appear to be very weak to me (not much reinforcement when the PO cut out the closed bow). How could I strengthen this?
Next, when I get to the transom, how do I bond the new plywood to the aluminum skin (All of my boat building/repair experience is with wood, plywood and fiberglass composite boats)?
Last, I'm getting ready to place an order for an assortment of rivets as I am sure I will next some of everything that might be on this boat.Any suggestions for a decent, if not comprehensive list of types and sizes that would be good to have on hand?

Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I would save nothing using marine plywood over meranti or okoume marine plywood once the shipping charges are added in. Is there any reason NOT to use the better with aluminum?
Thanks

Last edited:

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ordered plywood and an assortment of rivets (never realized rivets came in so many configurations!). I guess I'll figure the gunnels out as I go along, thanks for the help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
You don't need to bond the transom with the aluminum. Most of us just use regular exterior grade plywood. Marine ply is a better product so if you want to go that route by all means go for it.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There's always the dollars and cents issue, yes (or should it be sense?? :) )?
If exterior is okay that's a definate saving for me!
We had a shower last night, was hoping it would help some of the gunk loosen up a bit. What it did was show me two locations prone to not draining well. I'll get out the power washer and try to open up the limber holes at all ribs and then study that bit at the transom on the starboard side.
Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20170417_092024.jpg
    IMG_20170417_092024.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 9

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the links to the threads, I'm up to page 60 in jasoutsides rebuild, there is a wealth of good info there! It has me rethinking things a bit, this aluminum boat stuff very diff from glass/plywood stuff. Learning much!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Never worked on aluminum hulls, well not too much anyways, but I would suspect that any aluminum side braces that go from the gunwale to the floor structure would stiffen up the gunwales perfectly. JMHO.

I'd like to tag along if that is okay.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the Statmada :wave:

You have a good blank slate to start with but don't get too far ahead of yourself, there's lots of work to do on the hull normally before decking ever goes in.

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never worked on aluminum hulls, well not too much anyways, but I would suspect that any aluminum side braces that go from the gunwale to the floor structure would stiffen up the gunwales perfectly. JMHO.

I'd like to tag along if that is okay.

Glad to have you along and always open to suggestions!

frazoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome to the Statmada :wave:

You have a good blank slate to start with but don't get too far ahead of yourself, there's lots of work to do on the hull normally before decking ever goes in.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad I found this resource of very talented people!
Funny you should mention that, I caught myself skipping weeks ahead of my prep work today, sat back, took a deep breath and had a long talk with myself. :) I think I have me under control for now, but will do some, "musing out loud" here on the forum and if you all see me about to mess up, whack me with a 2x4!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad I found this resource of very talented people!
Funny you should mention that, I caught myself skipping weeks ahead of my prep work today, sat back, took a deep breath and had a long talk with myself. :) I think I have me under control for now, but will do some, "musing out loud" here on the forum and if you all see me about to mess up, whack me with a 2x4!

Uh, that would have to be an i2 x 4. We don't have any other type on these forums.

Don't worry, we all "mess up" some times but not a huge issue and most of the time easy to correct. :thumb: