1960 or 70 something Holiday 18 I/O

esscs12

Cadet
Hey Mob Doctors,
I've been snooping through this site for a while now. I've been reading through other's account for their sickness. Tinsanity. What a prognosis. I fear I've been experiencing some of the symptoms. Drove around 3 hours one way the other night. Anyways here's pictures. Do I need a second opinion, or could I be admitted to the Starmada?

On a more serious note, thanks to all of you for contributing to such a wealth of info here. Hopefully this turns into something someone else can learn from too.

Tonight I got carpet, seats, and the dash removed. Off to the dump tomorrow. I left the munched deck in for the time being.

There's a merc 120 under the hood. This was sitting outside, without plugs in it for who knows how long. The stern drive is super pitted. Not sure what the best route is going to be top get this boat crossing again. Anyone with a 120 18' starcraft wanna divulge what kind of performance that boat is capable of? Gonna have to get tubes up with this one

Last edited:

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh ya ....looks like a prime candidate for tinsanity esscs12! Good on ya to rescue her and give her a chance to hit the waves and make someone jubilant to be on the water again.

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome to the Starmada, the 18 Holiday with a 120 Cruiser is a good combination. Mine tops out at about 37mph and cruises very nice at 30. Yours is a very early model and is getting hard to get parts for, you will want to do a real good evaluation of what is good and what isn't, it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a newer donor and up-grade to an Alpha 1 set up.

pckeen

Commander
My holiday is a 68 outboard - looks pretty similar to yours. Welcome to the Starmada.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard and to the Starmada,

Oh I love to see an MC IO brought back, they are sweet but take a special breed to own as most guys around here like OBs. Having grown up on MC IOs I'm very fond of them and their abilities.

I agree with Dozer, it would be way better to upgrade to the plentiful and reliable Alpha One drivetrain as I did for my Chief rebuild. Your old Holly has a ton of potential and it can be made into just about anything you need from a boat.

esscs12

Cadet
Thanks for the welcoming words guys!

pckeen - I found the plate, it is a '68, nice eye.

As for updates, I got most of the interior pulled. My family did Easter last weekend, so I've got a three day weekend with no commitments ahead, should make some progress!

Also, I think I've found a donor. Found that the barter section of craigslist holds more than just the boat section. Listed as a 1985 Sea Ray, looking to be a Seville. 140hp, Alpha 1. "The only thing wrong is it will kick out of gear and the engine will die"

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/bar/6029852982.html

Any advice on what I should be looking at? He's good on starting the motor, and doing a compression test. I read on another thread to try and remove the 4-bolt top cover of the outdrive and inspect the visible gears. Any other advice? Where should I be at $$$ wise? Trailer doesn't look particularly special, hopefully there's a belly tank in her bowels...

Alumarine

Captain
Make sure you run the potential donor boat on muffs and up to operating temp to make sure the blocks/manifolds are ok.
Then check the oil.

Can't help on price.

dozerII

Admiral
When you are looking the motor over, on the port side look under the intake/exhaust manifold if you see any rust streaking running down the block it's very good sign it is cracked from not being winterized properly. Kicking out of gear could be problem in the lower unit or an out of adjustment shift cable that is kicking back on the cut out switch.

esscs12

Cadet
Well that potential donor boat was a bust.. But I've still been working on the old girl. I messed wioth Photobucket, here's missing links from my first post...

Then came some carnage with a load of mulch to the dump...

And a bit of bowectomy

Last edited:

Watermann

Yeah there she is, nice :thumb:

Hey when at PB look to the right of the photo you have open and you'll see list of codes, IMG copied and pasted in your thread here will look like this.

esscs12

Cadet
I had to get that dead engine out, transom was composted in place. Don't try this at home. I used a deer hanging block and tackle and shredded it by the time the deed was done. What a risky, bad idea. At least it got it out. I could only go so high with the engine, and had to lift the tongue of the trailer and thereby the lower stern to sneak the boat out from under the engine.

Tied off for a quick pic

And eventually I got here

Watermann

Man there's some risky business :lol: just the way I like to do things myself!

Nice work getting the iron lump out of there.

esscs12

Cadet
Thanks Watermann, I think i'm getting the hang of this!

Gunnel top? and bow cap came off for stripping. I'm not entirely sure what those are called.There was copious amounts of glue on the gunnels I wanted to remove. Grand plan is to paint here, and that crusty stuff had to go.

Side shelf angle came off to better remove gunk inside. I don't plan on replacing the side dock rails.

I've been globbing on Citristrip as I go along, and I'm slowly making progress. Gosh. Not my favorite kind of stripper, but it did much better than Zip Strip and Aircraft Remover(to my surprise)

esscs12

Cadet
My stripping efforts have been pretty successful thus far with removing the paint, but this brown primer isn't so willing to come off. Anyone have the magic solution for this? I'm hoping to polish the sides, and paint the transom, so I want to stay away from abrasives as much as possible.

Also, whatever powerplant donor I find will include an alpha outdrive. From what I understand, I'll need to fill two of the bolt holes, and redrill. What's the best way to fill those holes? JB weld sandwiched between the gimbal and transom plate enough (that the right terminology?), or do I need to have it welded? Any ill effects from trailering this floppy tinny into town for any weld work?

Watermann

One other thing for the A1 upgrade besides the 2 raised mounting holes, you'll have to cut out the bottom of the keyhole to go from that pointed shape to a bowling pin shape. I filled my holes with JB water weld 2 part stick epoxy, they will be inside the seal of the transom assembly so I i didn't worry about them too much. I don't think I had the top ones done yet in the pic, was going to wait and set the asembly in place first after I swapped trailers.

Here's what the changes looked like. I made a template from cardboard of the donor boats keyhole and bolt pattern.

IMAG1413.jpg

Last edited:

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As far as stripping the primer, try the professional strength goof off available at Home Depot. My primer was more of a greenish but the goof off took it right off. Acetone also might do it.