windshields that fit Starcraft 180 ss's

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
does anyone know of any other makes or models or boats that have 3 piece windshields that will fit...close enough.... on a mid 80s starcraft 180 SS?

the project boat I picked up from Phil several years ago, didn't come with a windshield......

thanks

bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
SS's have pretty flat consoles do darn near any three piece windshield in approximately the right width should be able to be adapted pretty easily. Look for ones on fairly boxy 70's/80's boats particularly tri-hulls.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
SS's have pretty flat consoles do darn near any three piece windshield in approximately the right width should be able to be adapted pretty easily. Look for ones on fairly boxy 70's/80's boats particularly tri-hulls.

I have located 4 walk through windsheilds on craigs... various widths... I have to go measure the width where mine would go....plus I have a donor Bayliner I picked up free for the trailer...it has a walk through, that I had forgot about!......I can measure that one as well...the hope is that the opening between the consoles fits any windshield I find..... I can cobb the fit out onto the gunnels for a slightly wide windshield if need be, but I want a nicer fit on the opening.

bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Yeah the center piece width is the key. The gunnels are so wide and right next to your consoles on your SS that you've got like a good extra foot to play with when fitting the right and left.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Budski and Jas have adapted the newer curved WS to their SCs, take a look at their threads or PM them for some details as they may not pop on to check new threads for a while.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i picked up two flat walk-thru window sets with extrusions from craigslist for free - I needed a piece of the extrusion to modify my boat windshield. these came off mid-80's welcraft and it looks like it may fit your starcraft

check your local craigslist

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I can see now that most walk throughs wont work, because they usually have full glass in the side panels running down the gunnel. and so the bottom would have to cross over the drip rail that forms the inside of the gunnel. if I can find one with out the side window and just use the leg that goes backwards to support the window frame..id be fine...kinda like the factory windshield frame. the bayliner I have has solid glass on all three sides fully enclosed in aluminum frame!... to use it..Id have to cut the starcraft drip rail and shim the console to match the gunnel height.......worse comes to worse...Ill leave the windshield off, until I find a starcraft windshield

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
cant do that with an SS because the gunnels don't just start behind the windshield, they run all the way to the last 1 foot from the bow!! and that little 1/4" high drip rail runs on the inside...so you cant have a windshield run off the top of the consol onto the gunnel...unless you CUT that drip channel right where the base of the windshield frame would cross onto the gunnel...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
No Title

see the aluminum drip edge that goes around the inside of the gunnel you can see the widsheild stop INSUIDE that...but the back brace actually rests on the gunnel.. the windshield frame is completely mounted on the console....so my width is 66 " from inside to inside...so I cant have a windshield wider than 66 " at the base of the glass

Attachments

• photo261633.jpg
    photo261633.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 8

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man that is completely different than my SS, the trim piece rivets on though right?

No way would some dinky strip of AL keep me from having a windshield. :lol: I would remove it, install the windshield and then put it back on altered to fit.

fetch

IMAG2768.jpg

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
yeah they are out there.....once I nail down all three dimensions from my consoles..I guess I can call and ask if I see an ad for a windshield. since the front stays inside the gunnel but the rear mount is on the gunnel...a solid side window is out!!!

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 16 SS has a windshield but is missing the center section, So I found an old Glasser Starcraft that has the center section(3 Pieces) I will have to mod the inner corner Al. trim like WM did but it will still have side windows on the gunnels like the old ones. My restore thread has pics. of both in it.