Starcraft Islander seats/chairs.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I have been looking for the metal frames used in Islanders for quite a while,mostly because of the open storage the provide under the seat for coolers and such. Apart from buying aluminum/chrome tubing I never actually did find the right fit. But,just this week while spending a few involuntary days in a hospital (fat old fart trouble) I discovered the possible ideal solution to my quest for the metal frame chairs. The toilet chair! They are available in different sizes, adjustable height and various qualities in places like Walmart and CVS. My plan is to buy one or 2 of these chairs,cut off one side and the arm rests and then with the help of brackets screw the chair onto the floor and the side. Then remove the bucket attachment,(or not, dependent on my sense of morbidity at the time) and screw a board on instead of the seat and attach a swivel chair. Did anybody try this? If so how well does it work? Why one or two chairs? I'm thinking that maybe if I cut one in to two halves I may be able to make one into two with the help of extended brackets,although that would eliminate the (storage) bucket possibility.:watermelon:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I used the original bent tubing on my rebuild. I was missing all the other hardware but I had the tubes and the receiver fittings, so I fabbed something with PVC board and SS hinges. They drop down and have room for a 70qt cooler under them. You could definitely achieve this with a tube bender and fittings. Not shown in this photo are the drop down foot rests that I found on amazon, which are obviously essential for this seat style. I like the toilet seat idea, though!

Sr39GGe.jpg

BgtSMnW.jpg

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
PS: check out the great variation on this theme by oldhaven. He took this idea and refined it with low profile seats.

If you feel like spending a bunch of money Garelick makes really nice ones.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Double duty seats! :smile:

I wonder if a walker could be re-purposed? The two are similar in construction and the walker is higher to do something like Chem's folder.

walker.PNG toilet.PNG

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I considered that ,but walkers lack the cross bars that the base for the swivel chair can be bolted onto