64' starcraft seamist re-power

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok so the ole 1975 evinrude 70 sang its last song last week. its time for a modern outboard. ive really been leaning towards a 4stroke, but after doing some re search im not so sure. it seems like i would need a high hp 4 stroke to get decent performance, not sure if i should even consider a 4 stroke. no matter what i want EFI. and power trim/tilt. , i want something that can easily plane the boat with 4 people, not really worried about top speed but really wanting good fuel economy. the boat is 16ft with a max rating of 75hp (in 64) the e rude is around 220 lbs i believe, which is like a 50hp 4 stroke. the top speed with the 70 was around 35 with two people. ive heard a lot of mixed reviews on the E tecs, the 2 stroke Tohatsu's sound pretty nice for the money, but im really tying to find something used, there is a yamie 50 4 stroke on craigs but im not sure 50 would be enough. let me know what you guys think.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
For a 16' boat it's tough to beat a 3 cyl 70 hp 2 stroke motor. I would look for one either in a newer Johnny/Rude or a Yamaha. Not sure if any other OB manufacturers make them.

Guess my vote is No on the 4 stroke.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
For a 16' boat it's tough to beat a 3 cyl 70 hp 2 stroke motor. I would look for one either in a newer Johnny/Rude or a Yamaha. Not sure if any other OB manufacturers make them.

Guess my vote is No on the 4 stroke.

thats what ive heard. the johnyrudes are getting a little too old for my liking, the yamies are always on craigs but i kinda wanted efi. the new tohatsu 70s are 3 cyl but hard to find used. if i did go with a carbed yammie could I expect decent fuel economy, like better than my old rude?