required flooring materials for 1983 SS160

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
As my boat sits under a cover, in the yard, I have been working on a list of "what I need" items. From the size of the transom, it looks as though I can cut 2 identical pieces from a single piece of 3/4 plywood. I will make some measurements before ordering. My question is, how much plywood is needed to cover the floor? I have old friends from back in high school that now operate a lumber business, so I can get an ok deal. My plan is to use Okoume, or Meranti Marine Ply for the floor and the transom, just wondering how much I am likely going to need to order.

Thanks
Dave

Weather here keeps teasing us with decent working conditions. Should start taking pictures and getting going on this project very soon. Just getting my ducks in a row right now. Ready to get in and remove carpet and flooring!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you start a topic about rebuilding your 1983 SS16, you can ask this and all the other questions you have there.

Sometimes it helps to have a continous record (w pix) of the rebuild so others can follow along, see where you started, how you got to a certain point in the rebuild and offer auggestions and helpful comments.

Basic math for a 16ft boat thats wider then 4ft would be you need a sheet for transom (3/4in to be doubled to 1.5in thick) and 4 sheets for the deck (1/2 as original] 5/8in [frequent choice] or 3/4 [that may cause fitment problems]) as its laid the width of the boat in 4ft sections as you move foreward from the transom.

Assume any unused pieces of any of that plywood will be used to make bow bench tops console backs or other built-ins. But might need a 5ft sheet for that.

W a low cost hook-up from the lumber yard for good boat building wood (both your examples are BS 1088 rated) get an extra sheet or 2.....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You say how many sheets to "cover the floor" but it's important to know, are you saying you want to do a deck over cover up of the old deck or do a deck replacement job?

To add to the tally above, you have to also add a sheet for the side panels that should be replaced as well to do the job right.

Since you have an 83 with a bad deck then you should consider the pour in foam below that would be most likely water logged and need replaced.

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I guess I was wondering, is the bow piece small enough to get from a leftover? Most appear to be quite small, compared to the other 3 pieces. I don't plan any built ins. I have purchased a fair amount of Meranti, even with a deal, it isn't cheap stuff. (works nicely though) This will be as open of a floor plan as possible, with just the drivers console returned to place, and maybe a small storage area in the bow.

Last adventure with Marine Ply. 14 foot flat bottom marsh boat w/25hp Merc

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
Watermann, I'm planning a full floor replacement and transom replacement. I am looking at aluminum for the side panels, rather than plywood. Also looking to reconfigure that little side pocket into more of a shelf. The boat will be a duck hunting rig when I'm complete.

MNhunter1

Ensign
To piggyback off what others have said, you're looking at 1 full sheet of 3/4" for the transom and at least 3, if not 4 full sheets for the floor (1/2', 5/8", or 3/4" depending on your wants/needs). If you're not using wood for the side panels, console fronts, bow seating area, you should be okay with 3 sheets for the floor.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Davidsboat018.jpg

Nice work! Looks like Malletts Bay? You'll be surprised how little water you can get your new Starcraft into. And if you get stuck it's really light and easy to pull out if need be.

I needed 3 sheets for the deck in my 18', but one in the stern is only 24" or so wide, so lots of scrap left. I used 5/8", but many here use 1/2" with no issue.

You'll also want to consider how you're finishing the ply. I can vouch for nautolex being an excellent deck finish (textured marine vinyl). If you want to just paint you'll need to either a) use fiberglass cloth and poly/epoxy resin, or b) skim the whole surface with epoxy and fairing compound, then paint of your choice.

Since you built a plywood boat, you obviously already know all that^^...

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
Chemical, do you still have your craft? Would love to check it out some time. Yes, that is Malletts Bay. I was living around the corner from the launch, just off church road, when I built her. I was thinking layer of glass on the exposed side of transom, wasn't sure of final floor covering. Honestly, would love 1/8 diamond plate. Just no so sure that the budget/value is there.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
VT, I'll be unwrapping my boat next Thursday or Friday (9th or 10th) and you're welcome to come by. Just private message me here for my contact info. I'm heading out on a friend's boat tomorrow out of Converse...probably breaking some ice at the ramp. I'll have the fever after that :watermelon:

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
There was almost no ice in Shelburne bay yesterday, and that is protected from all this south wind. Haven't been to converse since December, but I gotta believe it is open. The south wind, and that bay always stays open longer than most....you might be pleasantly surprised. I'll shoot you a PM. Are you guys going out after salmon?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, salmon hopefully. The only ice might be at the ramp itself with 10? tonight. Gotta think the whole lake is open now...pretty awesome! Unless you're an ice fisherman.