1982 16SS Floor Replacement

mich-fish

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of replacing the rotten flooring on my 16SS. I have removed the consoles and wood so far and getting ready to remove the pour in foam. I have followed some of the restoration threads and was wondering how everyone gets the hull so clean. Are you using some kind of stripper to remove the glue, or does it come off with the pressure washer? I was also thinking about putting hatches for storage on a frt deck and was wondering where people are finding the metal hatches. Thanks in advance for any help.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Have you checked the condition of the transom if the decking is rotten then it's not far behind.

I removed all the carpet glue from the inner hull of my SS with adhesive remover, scrapper, pressure washer and scrub pads. It's horrible stuff to get off and takes a lot of elbow grease.

I'm using the Tempress hatches in my SS build.

Some pics of your project would be great.

mich-fish

Seaman Apprentice
sf4.jpg sf3.jpg sf2.jpg sf1.jpg Here are some pics, I have been using the boat for a couple years and was not planning on doing this at this time.The weather turned nice and I decided to do a little upgrading.

mich-fish

Seaman Apprentice
It looked like someone replaced the seat cushion wood a while ago and used OSB :confused:

Watermann

Nice progress so far. What's the plan for the foam, it's probably water logged too and those little dollops don't look very effective.

Oh man OSB, some people :facepalm:

I can see part of the transom and it looks very dark from what I can see.

fetch

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Might as well do the transom and get it over with. At least pull off the transom caps and peek underneath. Any doubt, replace it now. it's easier to do it all at once.

mich-fish

Seaman Apprentice
I will pull the 1 cap off that I have, (the left is missing) and check the transom at the top side. The lower part sure seems solid where I checked. The frt bow rail end is missing also on the console side and I have been looking for a correct part for that also. I only planned on doing the floor this year unless the transom is bad.

mich-fish

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

A little more progress today, about ready to start ordering the goodies. I thought about replacing the transom and decided that I want to re-power in a couple years and would do it then. The transom is in good shape and this way I wont have excess holes in it.

Attachments

• photo259913.jpg
    photo259913.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 3
  • photo259914.jpg
    photo259914.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo259915.jpg
    photo259915.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo259916.jpg
    photo259916.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 3

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Looking good. The deck and transom are fortunately complete separate tasks on our boats so I see no issue with your plan.

mich-fish

Seaman Apprentice
After a couple week break, I am finally back at it. Boat hull was cleaned, Reinstalled support rails, Wood for floor is cut out and dry fitted. Starting to seal wood and 1st coat is applied. I decided to try the boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits and spar urethane for sealing. I really like the way it penetrated.I do have a question though. I have some West Systems epoxy, could I use that on top of the other sealer I have already applied? I am also planning on using Nautolex on the floor.

Watermann

If there's not a sheen type finish then I wouldn't even sand the wood first, just apply the epoxy resin. Just make sure that the OTF has gassed out all the way first, not just dry to the touch.