floor-console interference?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
so I am going to put the 180SS back together for my son. I have a few rivets I don't like and after that I am going to look to install some foam and flooring. I know that I have two side consoles to install later and I also know the rivet holes that held them to the gunwale need to line up on the gunwale when the bottom of the console is in contact with the floor..... I am wondering if any of you guys have found that a certain thickness of plywood puts you in trouble of getting those holes to line up. I am thinking of going to 3/4 " thick plywood as its a lot stronger and only adds about 25 lbs over 5/8th.....

but I don't like lots of extra holes in the boat..... trying to look ahead for issues.... as I go....

Attachments

• photo259658.jpg
    photo259658.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 0

MNhunter1

Ensign
No personal experiences, but I have read about issues with windshield alignment when going to the 3/4" from a few of the members of this forum. Sounds like the 5/8" doesn't cause quite as much frustration.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I had an issue with mine. I replaced the aluminum angle on the side of the consoles with wider angle which allowed me to raise them up a smidge. http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2517.jpg Tough to see in the pic but they're a little above the gunwale. I recommend once your deck is in, you put your consoles in (just the metal parts) and get your windshields up there and work out the alignment. Do this all before you start cutting out your new console backs and what not. I did not do this on mine and it came back to bite me.

I let myself get this far http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2459.jpg without ever putting the windshields up there and working out the alignment.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I know Bob and you'll do what you want but I'll say that I've never been a dance floor type when it comes to the lower deck and as Grandad says "you're not building an aircraft carrier." I've used 1/2" 5 layer ply for all the lower level decking in my boats. My SS is getting raised decks and I'm putting in 5/8" with lots of AL structure due to hatch cut outs rather than rely on plywood thickness which if not supported properly will sag or crack since 1/8" of plywood means little.

I use the rigid foam board as extra support as well as added AL cross members and the lower deck is as solid as it needs to be without the extra cost and weight.of 3/4" which weighs and costs half again as much as 1/2", 60 lbs v 40 lbs.