Rustoleum Aluminum Paint - Yay or Nay?

Rustoleum Aluminum Paint - Yay or Nay?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Not my style, but maybe it's yours

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What are you thinking mbroughton02? You're about to ruin your project.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I need opinions. I am painting a bunch of my aluminum trim because I had to do a lot of marine tex repairs to it, as those who have been following my thread may know.

I picked up a quart of Rustoleum Pro "Aluminum" paint. I did not realize it was actually metallic paint, I thought it was just aluminum colored. I'm not totally sure I want metallic, so I just painted one piece of trim on a console to test it out.

G7ztA8Yl.jpg

88KjLxwl.jpg

The parts to be painted in addition to console trim are the rub rails, the piece that goes over the inside corner of the gunnels, the bow cap, and the end caps.

What does everyone think?

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Had to vote for #4 because it made the most sense. LOL

I haven't used the aluminum flavor Rusto, but any other brand I have used is kinda yukky.

How 'bout going with a color instead. One of our SC tinnie projects had Rusto painted trim and it looked pretty good in the pics shown in his thread.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IIRC, thats the same paint Watermann used on his Chieftain's hull, to mimic a polished hull. Yeah, the SOTY 2014 Winner....

Is it the metallic sheen that bothers you? Might try softening the look to a brushed aluminum look w a scotch brite pad after painting...

Mixing in a light gray would soften the metallic look too....

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had to vote for #4 because it made the most sense. LOL

I haven't used the aluminum flavor Rusto, but any other brand I have used is kinda yukky.

How 'bout going with a color instead. One of our SC tinnie projects had Rusto painted trim and it looked pretty good in the pics shown in his thread.

It does look a little...cheezy? Or maybe fake. I don't know. I hated it at first, but when I went to peel the tape about 30 minutes later it sorta grew on me. Interested in what the other responses will be.

Yes a gloss grey was the intent. When I mixed this stuff I knew right away it wasn't as expected, but I decided to test it out just to see...

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
I painted the bottom half of the Sea Nymph with it. looks good. I say yes. Might want to consider hardener in it. Some silver may rub off on your hands, for oh maybe the first year.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I painted the bottom half of the Sea Nymph with it. looks good. I say yes. Might want to consider hardener in it. Some silver may rub off on your hands, for oh maybe the first year.
Thanks for the insight and the vote. Yes hardener will be added to whichever option I go with.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The aluminum paint is called "leafing" rather than metallic as some of the pigment flakes will lay on edge and as Don said color will rub off. I like the look of it and didn't have much of an issue with the tractor paint I used rubbing off.

I painted the bottom of my Chief with it too, it looked pretty cool but when I flipped it over well you'd have to crawl under it to enjoy the look so it was a waste. The SS is bare bottomed and I won't ever paint the bottom of a boat again.

IMAG1289.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I think it looks cool and uniform. I don't know how it will hold up. I haven't used it before.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It's an alkyd enamel industrial paint with catalyst hardener mixed in it, seems to be holding up fine for me so far after a few seasons.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Aw, I was too late.

You choose the right color combo. The gray against the blue looks sharp and she will be a looker on the water!