New to the forum

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
I'm new here, joined years ago, but didn't come back. However, now I have a reason and have been trolling the starcraft forum for about a month. I purchased a 1982 bow rider (sorry no pics). The PO said he thought it was an FM160, however, other posts and pictures makes me wonder if it's not a SS160. What are the actual differences between the models? The HIN tells me its a Starcraft, right length, and year. bUT there is also "-a3" after the 12 digit HIN. After a ton of searching, I can't seem to figure out what that means. any ideas?
I will start posting pics when the weather gets nice. I know I need a floor. Not fully shot, but getting soft. Transom, from everything I could see, is in ok shape. As I don't want to mess with it all twice, I intend to replace floor and transom in the spring. This will be a first starcraft rebuild, but I have some experience. Love wood working, and built a 14 foot flat bottom duck boat a few years back. No canoe, I run a short shaft 25 merc on it now. So, marine plywood and epoxy are in my realm of knowledge.
Paid $750 for the boat and a galvanize trailer, and merc 80. I only have the PO claims that the motor isn't an anchor. The interior is shot, but I plan to gut that. The hull is in really nice shape. Little wear and tear, but really clean. That being said, I got a deal for the hull on a trailer, based on what these sell for in VT(been looking for a while). If I gave up today, I'm pretty certain I could walk away ahead if I sold in the spring. I don't plan a full showroom restoration, as some guys, but instead plan on an open floor plan for use as a duck hunting boat for open waters.
Can't wait for warm weather to get into the motor and floor/transom rebuild.

If anyone can help with the A3, I would appreciate it

Thanks Dave.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tnstratofam

Commander
We have an 81 SS160. It's the one in our sig line. There is a link to the transom rebuild I did with plenty of pictures in my sig line as well. It may be helpful.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Post some pics of you boat and welcome aboard. SC made the FM models starting in 1980 and one is in dry dock in this forum right now.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Which one of these looks like your new Starcraft?

82fm.PNG 82ss.PNG

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
Chemical, Im from Milton. You in Vermont? Looki g at the brochure pics, I would say it's an SS160. Has the windshield and bow ride seating.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Chemical, Im from Milton. You in Vermont? Looki g at the brochure pics, I would say it's an SS160. Has the windshield and bow ride seating.

Burlington. I think I saw your boat for sale a few weeks ago in Milton on Craigslist? That was a great deal if it's the same boat from that ad.

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
Chemical,
Yes, that is the boat. Not sure about the motor, PO has made good claims. Was winter, so I took a risk. The hull is in great shape for what I plan to do. Trailer is decent as well. I talked him down from his list price as well.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey VT Dukhntr -- I remember you from the Hybrid boat forum on the Refuge. Sounds like we're working on similar projects again -- I've got the closed bow Jupiter 16 but I'm going to open it up with a "bowectomy" and I've got some ideas for converting between hunting/fishing and family fun. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your SS

VT Dukhntr

Cadet
Hey VT Dukhntr -- I remember you from the Hybrid boat forum on the Refuge. Sounds like we're working on similar projects again -- I've got the closed bow Jupiter 16 but I'm going to open it up with a "bowectomy" and I've got some ideas for converting between hunting/fishing and family fun. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your SS
Throw some of those ideas my way. Waiting for warm weather to get moving on my SS

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Throw some of those ideas my way. Waiting for warm weather to get moving on my SS

They all center on being able to open things up to make it easier to move around. I'm going to have flip-down jump seats back by the splashwell, a back-to-back passenger lounge seat that can be easily removed and replaced with a swivel seat, and a passenger console that can be easily removed. The idea is that I want to be able to stow passenger seating and console out of the way when the time comes to set or retrieve decoys, then easily set them in place for travel.

All just ideas at this point....