Jupiter in Dry Dock

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Been lurking for several years. Just picked up what I believe is a 1978 Jupiter a couple months ago. The boat is dated but in good shape paint and finishes are showing there age but structurally the boat is in great shape. Need to hunt down a motor as it did not come with one. Have some plans to put a flip over bench casting deck in the back removing the factory seats for buckets. I'm debating on opening the bow. Opening the bow would be the goal at some point but may not have the time to complete before the season starts.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome aboard skyfisher! Get your 3 posts in so you can post pics to calm the Mates! We all love pics:D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ah a Jupiter, love seeing these little SCs rescued from the field and returned to the waves.

Yeah the Starmada loves to see pics.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Any of the 3 cylinder 60-90HP motors would be idea for that boat.

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Any of the 3 cylinder 60-90HP motors would be idea for that boat.
Yeah hoping to find a decent 4 stroke in the area for a reasonable price which most do not go for here 60 to 75 is my target would like to forgo the kicker for fishing if possible.

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Seen one seen them all but it is in good shape for never being rebuilt. Might have had some paint touch ups but otherwise original.

IMAG1112_zpsjwhelz7m.jpg IMAG1111_zpsbjggska8.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey she looks to be in pretty good shape alright. :thumb:

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Well the past weekend I managed to get enough space in the garage to squeeze the Jupiter in. IMAG1109_zpss4hoiivh.jpg
Backed it in and cleaned it out.
IMAG1116_zpsqmuf5o23.jpg
Just enough room to squeeze around. Good news on the other side of the shelf there is working room on the double side of the garage, when the wife's van is not in there.

seats out vinyl out looks good.
IMAG1119_zpsauxd7zzf.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah hoping to find a decent 4 stroke in the area for a reasonable price which most do not go for here 60 to 75 is my target would like to forgo the kicker for fishing if possible.
Kicker for comfort. I do like a backup...

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled the floor today the ply was in perfect shape contemplating reusing the front two piece. The rear piece is in great shape but does have a fair amount of fuel absorption. None of the pieces are soft or rotting, I would almost say they have been replaced before if I did not know better. Foam was also in great shape replacing it any ways too many mouse houses. One small 12inch section of foam sitting at the bow was waterlogged the rest was dry and mostly unstained. I really believe PO took good care of this boat

IMAG1123_zpsbqqslq4d.jpg IMAG1125_zpsvueq2ole.jpg 20170203_210711_zpsnqwz3u7l.jpg 20170203_210557_zps8hmdgrbt.jpg

time to start the leak test. I know there has been some discussion about stripping the boat and painting vs scuffing the paint and painting. With paint in this good of shape when it will be painted red again what are the thoughts.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks like you are moving along nicely. You're probably right the boat does appear to have been better cared for than most. As to the paint if it were mine I would scuff and paint over the old if it is in decent shape.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice progress. My project boats' exterior was also in good shape. I did touch up some dock rash with bondo , did multiple grit sanding before applying a couple good coats of primer. That's where I left it for now and happy with the results, until I'm ready to paint. I had never contemplated stripping it. Are you able to tee-tee totter the bow/stern for the leak test ok?

skyfisher

Seaman Apprentice
Nice progress. My project boats' exterior was also in good shape. I did touch up some dock rash with bondo , did multiple grit sanding before applying a couple good coats of primer. That's where I left it for now and happy with the results, until I'm ready to paint. I had never contemplated stripping it. Are you able to tee-tee totter the bow/stern for the leak test ok?

Should be no problem still on trailer. I will be testing tonight.