Proper bunk layout for alluminum boat

I bought a StarCraft Chieftain 22 last year and a trailer that was "over rated" for the boat. Boat weight is about 3,500# and the trailer was rated for 10,000#. In the fall I found a more appropriate trailer (rated for 6,000#). My question has to do with the bunks. On the first trailer, I have 4 "sets" of bunks about 4' long. 2 sets in the back and 2 sets amidships. On the second trailer, all I have is 2 bunks about 12'- long. One on each side. I am concern that one bunk on each side might not provide proper support for my aluminum boat. I am considering changing to 2 "sets" of 12' long bunks instead of 2 single bunk. I would kike to get peoples opinion on this.

Michel E Paquette

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moved to the Starcraft forum, more likely to get some help sooner.

bunnymoney

Seaman
Got any pics of the trailer with/without the boat?

Are there any rollers under the keel?

My opinion is the boat needs to have as much contact with the bunks as possible.

My tiny 15' jetstar rides on two 8' bunks that are in complete contact with the bottom.

However, they are not parallel.

It would be nice to have some rollers under the keel.
P1030491.JPG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Two beefy bunks, adjusted properly to the hull, along with a few keel rollers bolted up to the cross members and you should be good to go.

Jbcurt 100, you say moved to "StarCraft forum". I can't find "StarCraft" under "boats"
Bunnymoney, no rollers under keel on either trailer. I will attempt to add some pics
Jasoutside. thank you for your suggestion. If I add keel roller when the trailer might not be designed for this, could that cause a failure on the cross members?

Attached are my 2 trailers. The one with the boat is the first one.

That first one I picked up the day before picking up the boat and took the salesmen word that my boat would fit on it. I was kind of in a crunch and did not take the time to really look at it (my bad).
You will notice that the rear bunks are sticking out. Picture was taken the day I picked it up. I manage to readjust it once I got home, but not much.
I read yesterday about how the front D-ring should have been under the top bow rest, but I don't think I could not get it there, because the tube was not long enough.

Michel

Attachments

• Pointe Au Baril.jpg
    Pointe Au Baril.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Boat and Trailler.jpg
    Boat and Trailler.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 4

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have a couple Starcraft trailers I've redone the bunks on, both 18'rs but it shows you what my preference is for the layout and support. Bunks are 2x6's 8' long.

For my 18' Chief trailer I ended up putting on a forward cross member with a keel roller.

IMAG1395.jpg

18' SS

IMAG2217.jpg

So having 4 bunks 12' long for my 22 footer is not going overboard. All I need to decide now is mount them separately like you have, or have 2 sets on a swivel. I prefer the latter, this way I don't need to be precise on the adjustment. The bunks will adjust to provide full bearing between the boat and the bunks regardless of the side to side alignment between boat and trailer. I just need to look at cross members for weight on 2 points and 4 points

Michel

jbcurt00

Staff member
Mike,

It is already moved, you are replying to your topic under the Starcraft forum, not under the towing and trailer sub-forum you started it in.

I realize it now. But I found it going thru Google search under "StarCraft forum". I could not find it going from Iboats home page. I tried going to the list of "Boats Manufacturer", and could not find listing for "StarCraft"

Michel

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Two big bunks along with keel rollers is entirely acceptable and will provide plenty of support. Though, WM's method of 4 bunks does even better!

I think you'll find it a challenge trying to get a 12' bunk to conform to your hull.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I realize it now. But I found it going thru Google search under "StarCraft forum". I could not find it going from Iboats home page. I tried going to the list of "Boats Manufacturer", and could not find listing for "StarCraft"

Michel

Hmm, its listed, but now that you've found it, you'll know where to start a topic about your Chieftain.

Oh, and vote in the SOTY poll, ends in just over 12hrs.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...tarcraft-splash-of-the-year-award-voting-poll

Jbcurt100, I just fount it under "Cuddy Cabin Boats"

Jasoutside, I believe that with the weight of the boat, the boards will bend to the shape of the boat, if I go with swivel type hookup on 4 points per side. Alternately, I can go with same setup as I have on first trailer, which is 4 sets of shorter boards.
Since I can't start working on this till late March (when the snow is gone) I still have time to consider my options.
My other decision will be between carpeted bunks or plastic covered bunks

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Yah, if you use 2x material it'll bend to conform to the hull. You'll just need to have some very tall brackets.

Man, that trailer you have the boat sitting on is awesome, do you still have that? Are you selling it?

I will be selling it once I move the boat to my second trailer. I figure it would be suited for a 25 plus footer. The actual total length of the trailer, tounge to rear is 29'

Mod EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Keep the trailer talk to PMs fellas not in the open forum