Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Guys really exciting time. Some of you know from the SC on CL thread I found this SC hull on CL and it a barn find. Guy had it as a project and wanted to liquidate for other repairs to cars. I'm picking up on Friday. I can tell you that we settled on a really fair price and I'm looking forward to making it seaworthy this first year maybe for some trolling around the electric lakes and then next year beefing up the project with a more detailed resto. Right now I'm ready to get back on the water and catch some fish. Probably work on the gas motor in my spare time this summer and maybe prep for paint over the winter.

Can you identify the model is it an SS or an Offshore? doesn't have any plates that I saw other than HIN but didn't get a good picture of it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
It is IDENTICAL to my SS from what I can see in the pics.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I'm seriously contemplating picking this up. 600 for project boat + trailer + cost of Starcraft. Owner of SeaRay says it has hydraulic brakes and cost over 2800 new... If I could put it on my other trailer and scrap it out for 300, it seems like a no brainer.

Would you buy another project boat for the trailer if you thought you could recover some of the cost by selling your excess project scrap?

00t0t_c045RoYEpFJ_1200x900.jpg

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I would. Even just paying $600 for a galvanized trailer is a good deal if you end up having to junk yard the boat. But if you have another trailer you could probably sell the package for something. You could always make a lower offer, too.

The surge brakes alone would cost $600 I think, though they're not strictly necessary for the boat you have in mind. Nice to have, though.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
yeah I'm thinking it is a no brainer. I have already began negotiating price on the SeaRay just to see how much he will bend.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Picking up searay and trailer Friday morning before Starcraft. Another steal of a deal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That is a NICE trailer!!!!!!!!!! That bow rail and windshield on the boat are pretty sweet for someone out there. Actually a pretty nice looking hull.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I'll probably need some guidance on swapping the trailers once I get it all home. Its a shame I don't have enough wallet to restore the SeaRay too. He said the SeaRay flies with a 190hp V8 Ford in there. The hull and some other parts look good. I'd try to part it out but I think I will just sell it to the highest local bidder.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks like your new SS is a perfect project and has had some previous slip shod looking work done on her with the rear and front ply decks installed. If you're in need of a fuel tank you may find a serviceable belly tank in that glass pile.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann,

While I was looking at the SS I noticed that both decks were not adhered to anything, so I picked both of them up and pulled them aside for a gander underneath. In the bow, all the metal frame is still there to be able to restore the 2 seats with storage underneath and put in the removable section for a pedestal seat. Someone around here did theirs that way or that is the way some of the newer starcrafts are coming. I can't remember. It's been 4 years since I sold my 16 SS and I have been itching ever since.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We added a removable casting deck to the front of our 16SS that still allows us to use the bow seating. I'm going to add a setup to use a removable casting chair in the bow and stern in the spring.

Your 18 looks like a good project. I'll be tagging along.

Oh and nice score on the Sea Ray and its trailer.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
We added a removable casting deck to the front of our 16SS that still allows us to use the bow seating. I'm going to add a setup to use a removable casting chair in the bow and stern in the spring.

Your 18 looks like a good project. I'll be tagging along.

Oh and nice score on the Sea Ray and its trailer.

Do you have pictures? It sounds like a good setup. I'm open to ideas. I have to see what I'm into once I really get it home. I'm not sure where I want to go with it this year. First things first, get a registered trailer under it, after that I will be working toward getting the motor together. I might just stick it with a troller for the electric lake near my house and play with it this summer. Depends on how easily I can get the 85 going. If its not too bad, I may paint it up and fish for the summer and play in the winter. Got lots of cleaning in the garage to do to make room for it before next winter.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
thanks tnstratofam -

1 more day til pick up. I can't wait. I cleared out a space to maneuver to the back yard if necessary. It was kind of perfect timing because I had to chainsaw a nice little tree out of the way (it was starting to die from being struck from the top) and re-stack my fire-pit wood between the next 2 trees. I know I will probably move at least one of them back there for now if not both. I tried uploading a pic but its too big. Involved a chainsaw so It's gotta be pic worthy!!

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Alright guys. I know you are pic lovers and I don't have anything for you right now but here's an update. So yesterday I drug home the Sea Ray in the morning. Clean hull, motor looks like its in good shape, full outdrive is there. I want no parts of that. Trailer is in awesome shape and will be more than whats needed for the SS. Pulled the SS in at 4pm. It was a long day driving to Harrisburg and then back and then another 30 min south and back. I am stuck at work right now until Sunday night.

S needs a lot of small stuff here is a list of what I know I'm going to need:

Battery
Fuel Line
Short Fuel hose to connect OEM 12 Gal Tank from filler neck
Control Cable - rusted and frayed right before the motor connection
Steering cable - probably. hooked up steering and it is REALLY stiff - any quick cures on this to save a guy $100?
Bilge hose - frail and broken

I gotta get the trailers swapped and liquidate the SeaRay for some additional project $. Wife's van is definitely crapping out on us. Taking to a mechanic this week. I'm afraid its Ford electrical gremlins due to a TSB that was probably never performed on the vehicle and the shrouds surrounding ECM.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
oh my window shopping. Evinrude 140 with tilt and trim 750 on CL in NJ. Too bad I have to work in 6 hours and really should get rid of the Sea Ray and test compression on my 85 before I think about this. I just see speed in my future... Its only 2.3 hours away. Time to settle in and take a few small steps.

00M0M_fQtnUPWyTyX_1200x900.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Hard to hide everything around the house that can be used a bludgeoning weapon. :lol:

Hahah it's not that hard. I survived a 2 boat surprise lol. I also have the key to the gun cabinet on my key ring haha

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I found one of these on the SeaRay. It looks basically brand new. I may find a way to fit it on the SS:)

27 Gallon Permanent Boat Fuel Tank, 36.5"L X 16"W X 11.75"H - Moeller Price: $259.15 @ iboats.com

032527_4.jpg