My new 16' Starcraft Jupiter - Do you take yours in the ocean?

VIsalmonfishing

Recruit
First off, hey guys this is my first forum post Ive been lurking for a while though. Here's my 1970 Jupiter V, I just got it at Christmas but have been busy getting all the electrical back up to snuff. It came in great shape, wont need the transom and floor done right away although there is one slightly squishy spot in the floor. Some of the wooden framing appears to have been restored at some point already. Has lots of original hardware, I was able to get the nav lights working pretty easily and incorporated the old ignition key as my panel switch. Looking pretty cool, but I want to catch some fish too.

Its carpeted and has seen little to no ocean use, but that's where I want to go! Are there any other starcraft guys that go out regularly in the salt? How do they fair? I trailer in and out and flush well but Id rather pass this boat on than ruin it. What do you think?

It has a 70 johnson, yamaha kicker and all my salmon gear rigged up and ready to go. the bilge pump is solid too so Im hoping itll work as well as any other ocean-going aluminum. I'm on Vancouver Island where we have mostly protected waters to fish on (usually under 15 knots wind).

Also, my friend has an old chieftain OB we are in the middle of re-doing, Im sorry we never took many pics as most of the destruction was done in the first couple of hours - at this point the transom and new floor and foam are already in, but then it got cold and work stopped so we still have the bulkhead, console, seating, etc etc etc to think about for next year. Im glad mine came complete so we can get some fishing done in the meantime! image_257268.jpg

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have never been to the ocean and don't even own a boat thatbig but I do venture out into lake michigan with my 14 foot crestliner on good days. I'd say it's mostly your comfort level. And as for the salt, I can not comment on that. Love your boat btw.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Cool boat! I'd say from your post that you've got it covered: pick your days, have a kicker and vhf, don't go out for tuna :D, and flush the bilge and engines after every trip plus a general hosing off (trailer too). You can also use salt-away or vinegar with a hose attachment.

There was a guy here who used to run his Chieftain 22 i/o offshore for tuna from Oregon. He's building a wood boat now, but he didn't have any problems.

oldhaven will probably be using his recently refitted Chieftain in some salt in the northeast, as well. Yours is a little smaller, but with some weather watching you should be good! I run an old Johnson 70 also and it hasn't let me down...same for the ancient Honda kicker I have. Your closed bow is an asset if you're going near shore ocean.

VIsalmonfishing

Recruit
great thanks for the reassurance guys - Ive been fishing the past 2 years on a smaller 14' fiberglass so this should be a nice size upgrade, im more concerned about how they ride/slap in a 2-3 foot chop but im sure it will be fine, I used to take a lake tinny out on the ocean (with a 12" transom) and will never do that again, but with the freeboard on this thing im sure ill be OK!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Oh, it'll pound your teeth out in 3'ers, but it'll get you home.

BajaRon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Go to school on the web for weather reports. NOAA, Swell report, surfer's sites...everything on ocean weather....there is a ton of info on ocean weather. It is an addiction, a necessity for any captain to bust thur the break into the ocean, then make it back.

I cannot believe how many captains and crew die from lack of a life jacket in the ocean!

Lash everything down...bring the bare minimum...be prepared for a change of weather...two bilges pumps minimum..."HIGH SIDE-HIGH SIDE"...look it up, it saved me more that once.

Then...move up to a larger Starcraft, 18ft, then 21ft, then...

Started from my first boat, a 16ft Dorsett, to a 12 1/2ft inflatable, 14ft inflatable, 18ft Starcraft, 26ft Chris Craft, 22ft Bayrunner....back to a 18ft Starcraft.

Go back and read the many post on 18ft Starcraft restorations projects on this site for your friend when you get started again...invaluable. Ron

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Geez, can't believe I forgot about BajaRon and his oceangoing starcraft^^. He's definitely the guy to ask.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I never took my 16'er there but I'd say what the other guys are saying, staying on the bay and in some of the protected areas would probably be fine. And I would do all your homework on the weather reports and just stay alert and you will be fine. I would also reccomend a boating course. I don't know if your state offers one or if you were required to take one but in PA when I was younger and operating my 85 horses I had to go through the PA boaters safety course. I took it online but was a great resource for learning more about the ICW and how weather can quickly turn and bring potential harm.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I've been blown off Millie Lacs in MN several times in a SC 16 ft'er similar to that. ML is about 20 miles across.
If I were to spend time on an ocean, I'd want a lot more boat under me then that.

Dan
I've also been 2-3 miles out on Lake Mich in a deep SC 14 ft'er, but it was only in nice weather.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard and to the Starmada :wave:

Your sweet 18'r will do good in the protected area you're wanting to fish in, they have a nice dead rise to the hull that will be very stable underway.. It's salt water not caustic soda, it won't hurt your Jup one bit and it will last for a very long time especially if properly cared for and not left to the elements. My old Chief was a Puget sound salty dog and was neglected severely over the years and look at her now. :D

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I've been blown off Millie Lacs in MN several times in a SC 16 ft'er similar to that. ML is about 20 miles across.
If I were to spend time on an ocean, I'd want a lot more boat under me then that.

Dan
I've also been 2-3 miles out on Lake Mich in a deep SC 14 ft'er, but it was only in nice weather.

Ya, any big body of water can be scary in a 16' boat. This is our current advisory on inland Lake Champlain:

gQwEz5F.jpg

Use the available resources and don't get stuck in that^^ :eek: