1973 Starcraft Star Trek-V Center Console Project

Picked up this beauty recently and am beginning the restoration. It has a nice low hour 75hp Mercury on it that pushed it to 34mph on the test run. I expect that to come up a little as I figure out how she likes to run. The deck is in pretty decent shape though the front fishing deck is soft and will need a replacement. There has been a little modification done on the front deck as well. This will be the first thing I tackle and is really all that is keeping off the water.
This is to be a dual purpose fishing and a family pleasure boat . I really like the center console but it is not really a very efficient use of the space. I may consider a modified center console or possible changing it to a side console to open up floor space. Not sure yet.
Anyway here are a few pics of the before.

DSC_1041.jpg

DSC_1047.jpg

Note the missing end cap in the photo below. I have found a new cast plastic replacement but would like to find an old original one.
Anyone out there have one?

DSC_1056.jpg

The bench behind the console eats up so much floor space and basically divides the boat in half. I think it need to go.

DSC_1049.jpg

Soft front deck is the first thing I will address.

DSC_1051.jpg

Everything looks good under there so now to replace it with some temporary deck and pedestal mounts.
At a later dated I intend to pull up the entire deck and rebuild this front deck with a live well, anchor storage and an additional storage but for now a solid deck and seat mounts will do.

DSC_1062.jpg

I will keep this thread updated as it comes along.
Would love to here about any other boats like this one out there. Just do not seem to be a lot of this model around.

Attachments

• DSC_1049.jpg
    DSC_1049.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 16

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Real nice rig you got there. Yeah I'd definitely ditch that odd bench seat.

64osby

Admiral
In the Starcraft section there has been two Star Trek V's (IIRC).

I looked at one that was really rough before purchasing our Mariner. That is the only one I have ever seen in person.

Looks pretty clean and a quick fix to keep it on the water.

Have fun with it.

Thanks 64osby. I had no idea there was a specific Starcraft section.
I will start a fresh post there.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unless you get extremely lucky, NOS transom cap is exceptionally unlikely.

Find a metal fab shop and have them weld up a set of similar to original out of 1/4 aluminum flat stock.

Tnstratofam

Commander
The polyurethane is what the casting mold is made of. The transom cap itself is made of alluminium. I plan on getting a set from this seller for the Jupiter I have awaiting restoration.

The listing reads as a polyurethane product with aluminum powders added for a metallic effect. I have used this process before and with a resin product from Reynolds back in art school.

I emailed the seller to clarify but I do not think this is a hot cast aluminum product.

Heard back from the seller
"These are cast using a polyurethane resin. Known as 'cold casting'. Aluminum powder and milled glass fibers are added."

Tnstratofam

Commander
Heard back from the seller
"These are cast using a polyurethane resin. Known as 'cold casting'. Aluminum powder and milled glass fibers are added."

I thought it was hot cast. They look like a good product though. I keep my eyes out for originals, but they don't show up on Craigslist or evilbay often.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Those poly-cast caps are made by a member, but he's not very active anymore. IIRC, he used to make real aluminum caps, then used one of his self made caps to make the mold for the poly caps.

A few.got his metal ones and a few have gotten his poly-cast, and all were happy.

I had time to get the new fishing deck in place with seat mounts for side by side and a center mount for solo fishing. This deck is a temporary so I can get to fishing and until I decide what I really want to do with the layout. I have ideas to add an anchor locker and storage up here as well as extending it towards the stern to add a large under deck live well.
Spyderloc rod holders mounted
Trolling motor mounted. Had to remove the stock bow navigation light to mount the TM. Looking to add a pair of under rail shark eye navigation lights to replace it.
Have not decided where to mount the forward electronics yet. I need to get out on the water to figure that one out.
The 2 TM batteries will fit nicely in the semicircular space under the deck for now.

I am a big believer in letting this be a work in progress. I want to learn where and how it needs to be modified before I commit to a deck layout.
Probably going to remove the stock center console and bench and either replace with a more funtional center console or perhaps move it to the side to open up the floor space.
Time will tell!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada Trey!

It's great to get one of these fine old SCs and a Star Trek is one of more rare models too. The best thing is you can make them into what you want, they have the potential to be way better than when new from the factory.

:welcome: to the Starmada Trey!

It's great to get one of these fine old SCs and a Star Trek is one of more rare models too. The best thing is you can make them into what you want, they have the potential to be way better than when new from the factory.

I fell in love with the lines of this boat before I new much about the history of Starcraft. I do have a Starcraft jon boat I pulled from the bottom of a cattle pond and restored to a decent fishing platform. I have had some concerns with this being a rarer model Starcraft and altering it. I think I will just get over it and go ahead with my plans to get rid of the center console and bench which is what differentiates the Star Trek from the Mariner. I have lots of plans that include a row of bench seats and a fishing platform in the stern and moving then steering console either forward or to the side and to open up floor space. Everything is likely to evolve as I use the boat and find out how she wants to evolve.
Super happy that I found this place. Lots of good info and ideas for how to proceed.

64osby

Admiral
I have really enjoyed the CC on the Mariner. Granted it is a 21'er so it has more width then yours.

I like the CC for the fact that you have no obstructions at the gunwale. The center bench in the STV is a little crazy IMO. Maybe look at fabbing up a narrow CC and have a nice sliding / swivel Capt'ns chair, pull the center bench.

That would allow full access on all sides of the hull.

I think perhaps the STV console was a styling effort to cross over from fishing utility and pleasure. I really like the Mariner center console. I think a more utility center console is the ticket. Something high enough to stand or sit at. Maybe move it forward a bit. I could combine it with the fished deck extension and really solidify it by tying it into that construction. Lots to think about but first I need to get some fish slime on her :)