Found a Starcraft Mariner 220 '76 ... let it begin

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

Alright I'm going to add a number of posts for different portions of the boat.

First up, Transom.
- Although it does seem solid and not soft, parts of it are starting to flake, which seems concerning
- also underneath the transome there is some adhesive patching for what was probably an old transducer, not sure what to do about that yet

Attachments

• photo256118.jpg
    photo256118.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo256119.jpg
    photo256119.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo256120.jpg
    photo256120.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo256121.jpg
    photo256121.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
That huge exterior ply on the transom and the mess visible in the 3rd pix, indicate ro me that the transom may NEED to be replaced despite the way it seems.

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

The Console.

Generally seems like it's in good shape. The wiring isn't a nightmare, which is a nice plus.
I want to think through how i mount a depth finder here as I dont want to make anymore holes in the console if possible.

Attachments

• photo256122.jpg
    photo256122.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256123.jpg
    photo256123.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256124.jpg
    photo256124.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256125.jpg
    photo256125.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256126.jpg
    photo256126.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256127.jpg
    photo256127.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

One of my big goals this off season is to create a rear casting deck with a fold up bench, as shown on page 1 of the thread.

A problem to solve will be accessing the gas tank, oil tank, and battery, with a deck built.

Attachments

• photo256128.jpg
    photo256128.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256129.jpg
    photo256129.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256130.jpg
    photo256130.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 1

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

Not too much here, decking seems solid, storage seems like a good choice for trolling motor batteries.

Idealy I'd like to make this deck a little bigger, maybe by a foot or so.

Attachments

• photo256131.jpg
    photo256131.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256132.jpg
    photo256132.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 1

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

The hull appears to be in pretty good shape, there are some minor dents and plenty of obvious scratches, my hope is to strip the current paint and give the boat a paint job it deserves. Something I'm not sure of is on the keel there appears to be a weld line, but I'm not certain. Unsure what to make of it.

Attachments

• photo256133.jpg
    photo256133.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256134.jpg
    photo256134.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256135.jpg
    photo256135.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256136.jpg
    photo256136.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 6

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Alright I'm going to add a number of posts for different portions of the boat.

First up, Transom.
- Although it does seem solid and not soft, parts of it are starting to flake, which seems concerning
- also underneath the transome there is some adhesive patching for what was probably an old transducer, not sure what to do about that yet

Yeah Johnny that transom is wasted de-laminating and rotten. The only way to clean and repair the skin properly (holes & pitting) is with the transom wood out and you can clean off the corrosion that will be on there.

fetch

Last edited:

Watermann

The keel plate really does get the brunt of every landing and sometimes they wear down enough to get cracked. I had to repair and build up the keel plate on my SeaNymph. It looks to me like the that's what's been done with yours too, maybe JB weld or similar.

fetch

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Jonny - You need new transom wood and judging by some of the other pics, all the ferrous hardware (screws, bolts, etc.) need to be removed from the stern. It sure looks like rust stains back there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Yeah that transom is shot. If it was mine, I'd remove the motor and take everything back there apart. Replace the interior piece of wood and omit the exterior piece or replace it with something non-wood. New stainless fasteners will probably be in order. In my opinion and experience, the exterior piece of wood provides no real purpose and it ends up getting compressed by the force of the motor which causes the edges to flair out and leak. I omitted it from both my restores.

jonnyfish

Seaman
Great info on the exterior piece of wood, I was wondering this myself, if it doesn't serve any great or functional purpose, i'd rather find an alternative or omit it altogether, if I do not replace it, am I running the risk of a shakier ride, or does the interior transom board take care of that?

I'd also like some confirmation on redoing the transom, and the steps taken, this is my understanding:

- Take motor(s) off
- Remove brackets and harnesses
- Remove the wood, and preserve it as much as possible
- Trace shape over new Marine quality ply (2)
- Adhere to pieces of ply together
---- What adhesive should I use?
- Clean up rust, and crust, and all other grossness on the current stern area
- Deal with potential unseen problems underneath the transom board (scary)
- Coat the new transom ply to protect it
---- This is where i'm foggy, what is the best approach, I've read numerous posts and am unsure.
- Put new transom board on boat
- Reconnect brackets with updated hardware if necessary.
- Drink a beer

Thanks for any and all help guys :pop2:

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

One other area I'm considering cleaning up on the stern is the unthoughtful use of transducers and how they were patched afterwards. :facepalm:
I actually didn't realize they sent a transducer with me, that might have been an oops on their part, lol.

Regardless, have any of you dealt with messy sterns with unnecessary holes ect. and what are some preferred methods of cleaning them up?
Initially I thought this boat may be my "in between boat". But after countless hours of looking through the forums and different examples online i'm convinced if I clean this up nice and show it some love it could last me a very long time.

Attachments

• photo256118.jpg
    photo256118.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
i'd rather find an alternative or omit it altogether, if I do not replace it, am I running the risk of a shakier ride, or does the interior transom board take care of that?

There are some on here that will argue that the exterior transom board does something as far as absorbing vibrations or other some such crap. It doesn't do squat and no newer aluminum hulls have them. Perhaps on a small boat where you're taking the motor off and on frequently I could see it maybe saving some wear and tear on the transom skin but otherwise nope.

I patch any smallish hole in my aluminum by applying JB Weld from the inside smeared on a little square of cut up aluminum flashing. Has worked well for me.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I didnt put an outer board back on mine. Might be personal preferance or something for looks. But i dont think it is "required". EZ's suggestion for why on smaller boats makes sense to me though.

Now lookin at mine maybe they do it so the front of the outboard bracket catches the transom also instead of hangin forward of it. But its a little lip to catch and either way its bolted on. Not goin anywhere.

Watermann

My advice is to loose that wood transom pad on the outside of the transom. I replaced the wood with an aluminum pad to cover up some corrosion pitting and motor mount holes that I wouldn't be using. I cut the pad from .100 5150 AL, back buttered it with 5200 to seal the deal. Here's how it looks on my SS.

IMAG2383.jpg

Watermann

That looks very nice! I do wonder what corrosion may await me :noidea:

Expect there to be a bunch on the inner skin that formed due to the wet transom wood. My Chief was really bad compared to the SS and I had to use a bunch of Marine Tex skinning the inside to fill the cleaned off corrosion pitting.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Jonnyfish, Make sure you inspect your transom brace. Many of us have had the upper portion break off and replaced with aluminum angle. Take a look at my thread for the brace and how I made a new wood transom if you still have questions. This is about the only portion of the rebuild that I feel I did very well.
Enjoy your project.

Attachments

• photo256333.jpg
    photo256333.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 2

jonnyfish

Seaman
Hey Fellas, sorry for the lag on this one. I'm hoping to build the new transom this weekend with warmer weather approaching (hopefully) up here in Minnesota.

I've looked at a few different lumber options, there was a marine place in town that sells specialized marine grade ply:
http://www.midwestboatappeal.com/mar...umber/bs-1088/
I called and they said it's currently at $175/sheet of 3/4" (need to sheets)

Menards also looks to have marine grade ply
https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4452503795.htm
Theirs is $69/sheet of 3/4".

Also I picked up some Interlux Interprime Wood Sealer, after a recommendation from a guy that thought this would be more than sufficient for sealing the wood, does that seem correct to you guys?

My main question is, how much more does the expensive lumber get me? Is the Menards lumber sufficient and will it last if sealed properly?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Please dont post links to competitors of iboats. Even when masked.

Check your PrivateMessages