1971 Starcraft Mariner 18-foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Always good to get the ol' motor derigged and set aside! :eagerness:

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a big job out of the way....sweet looking stand! When I took the '90 off the holi, I ready'ed it on a shipping crate and strapped it down for the new owner.

steve_latino

Cadet
No Title

Well...the evinrude is gone, turns out I knew someone who wanted a project! 👍🏻 Stripped all the old styrofoam out of the boat today and cleaned up the inside. Have a bunch of old pop rivets that I have to get out that were holding in the floor and then get a pressure washer to clean out the boat really well. Things are coming along nicely. Did have a minor oops pulling the old steering unit from the transom but it's repairable so I am not going to lose any sleep over that one. Things are starting to look good!
Empty Boat1.JPG
Oops1.JPG
Oops 2.JPG

Attachments

• photo256707.JPG
    photo256707.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256708.JPG
    photo256708.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256709.JPG
    photo256709.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256710.JPG
    photo256710.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Empty Boat2.JPG
    Empty Boat2.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There's always something unfortunate that happens when your doing the tear down. :lol:

I see your 71 doesn't have the hull stiffener braces under the ribs. Look it over very carefully for any rib end cracks. My Chief only had a few small cracks from the rivets. The stiffeners were placed in later SCs to overcome 2 potential issues that were design flaws. One being the rib end cracks and the other is the side spray rail chine splitting out. You're going to be out in the sea with this one, I would think about adding some stiffeners.

steve_latino

Cadet
There's always something unfortunate that happens when your doing the tear down. :lol:

I see your 71 doesn't have the hull stiffener braces under the ribs. Look it over very carefully for any rib end cracks. My Chief only had a few small cracks from the rivets. The stiffeners were placed in later SCs to overcome 2 potential issues that were design flaws. One being the rib end cracks and the other is the side spray rail chine splitting out. You're going to be out in the sea with this one, I would think about adding some stiffeners.

Watermann, thanks for the heads up. Man that CT thread is a doozy. Any advice on the stiffners. I know you talked about setting them in 5200...what types of rivets are you using to install them? Are they solid rivets. Assuming that would be a two man job? Unfortunately I haven't done much work like this before so any advice is welcome!

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good progress Steve. Tearing apart the boat is the easy part. Have fun with the build out.

Watermann

Watermann, thanks for the heads up. Man that CT thread is a doozy. Any advice on the stiffners. I know you talked about setting them in 5200...what types of rivets are you using to install them? Are they solid rivets. Assuming that would be a two man job? Unfortunately I haven't done much work like this before so any advice is welcome!

Yeah I didn't really do a tutorial or how to on the stiffeners like I could've. Solid rivets and 5200 on the stiffeners and the rib end crack patches. I was lucky that there wasn't any hull splitting like some and I have to mention the repairs that Grandad did on his Holiday. Bondo told the story of a spray rail chine splitting out while on the water on an older SC so it was stuck in my head to make the hull stiffener upgrades.

I added the stiffeners in between the ribs to eliminate the side spray rail failure issue but I believe it will also limit the flexing at the rib ends. It was a short cut so I wouldn't have to drill out rivets and lift each rib end that aren't factory bent to allow for it on the older SCs.

Just so we're on the same page the hull stiffeners are the braces that go from the bottom to the sides in between each of the ribs.

IMAG1238.jpg

My current project SS has them factory installed under the rib end with about half as many ribs as the older boats like your Mariner and my Chief.

IMAG2222.jpg

Watermann

First thing is to find any rib end cracks with a close inspection of the area well cleaned. If found the cracks need to be repaired properly. You have to look very close on the outside of the hull, the small cracks are tough to see and will only grow if left.

This is what I mentioned in the last post as being lucky on my rib end cracks. Anything like this has to be repaired, remove the rivet, stop drill the ends of the crack with a small drill bit, create a patch, butter it with 5200 and set patch with solid rivets. The patch on the outside will spread the stress and back the single layer of AL that's been fatigued.

IMAG1143.jpg

IMAG1221.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.