1971 Starcraft Mariner 18-foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_latino

Cadet
This was my dads boat, and now she is all mine. Made the trek back from Southern California to Illinois to get her. Finally, after getting married...and my skeeter being in the shop, I am getting around to starting the work on her. I managed to get all the decking out this weekend, but this is going to be a fun little rebuild. Unfortunately my life is busy, so keeping up on a weekly post is highly unlikely, but as I get time I will post updates.

My goals, clear her out and seal her up from the inside. Fresh coat of paint on the inside and outside, new decking, new center console and seating. Luckily the transom is new because Dad replaced that about 5 years ago and then it sat. Sandwiched two pieces of ply wood and full blown epoxy coating on that...so that should last darn near a life time.Unfortunately where I live, the old 2-strokes are banned, so I have an 85hp Evinrude (circa 1972) Starflite to get rid of.

Anyways, off to bed, but figured I would get her out there. Well, here she is. Oh, and her name is Pegasus, which I intend on keeping!

IMG_4718.JPG IMG_4721.jpg IMG_4722.jpg IMG_4736.jpg IMG_5036 3.JPG IMG_5037 3.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4718.JPG
    IMG_4718.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4725.jpg
    IMG_4725.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4735.jpg
    IMG_4735.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 7

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks like a nice project and you're ahead of the game with the newer transom. Lots of great Starcraft restorations here. Post updates when you can. Good luck.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada Steve,

From what I can see the hull is in great shape :thumb:

I think part of the transom wood is exposed on those models, if not painted or covered up the epoxy resin will be damaged by UV light.

steve_latino

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to learning from all of you and sharing my experiences. As for the transom, the wood is exposed, but my dad and I spoke tonight, he used MAS epoxy thinned out to coat the wood. This will be a fun project for sure!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thinned epoxy doesnt protect well. And as noted above it needs to be coated to protect from UV.

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finishing up my boat soon. Make sure you do a leak test on the hull. Those rivits like to shake loose or get sheared off. Good luck and have fun.

steve_latino

Cadet
No Title

Thinned epoxy doesnt protect well. And as noted above it needs to be coated to protect from UV.

Just saw this...so the wood is painted on the outside, but epoxied underneath on the inside (you can see in the pictures above). Also, plan to keep her either stored inside or covered, so with the outside protected....I hope I am good.

Well, didn't get too far on it this weekend, as I have been busy with life...something about working full time, getting an MBA and just recently married really seems to put a dent in the boat time. Anyways, I did get the motor controls all removed and taken out from the splash well. Next step for me is to get the motor pulled and mounted on a mobile stand (found the plans on the site! AWESOME!!:peace:). Gonna borrow an engine hoist from a buddy so that is next on the list. Maybe a little bit on that one though as we are in tournament season here in So. Cal and next weekend is shot fishing a local tournament.

One thing I am wondering, is there a market for an old '72 Evinrude 85hp Starflite. I have the manual, spare prop, spare ignition system, all motor controls. Unfortunately where I live, I have to be Star Compliant (newer direct inject 2 stroke or 4 stroke)...gotta love California! Anyways, wanted to give an update even though it isn't much of one.

Last but not least, foam for the boat. The original styrofoam is in there, but it is chewed up by rodents over the years. What does one replace this with that is gas/oil resistant? I guess I will continue my reading and see what I come up with!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Steven

Attachments

• photo255876.JPG
    photo255876.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo255877.JPG
    photo255877.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 3

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
This is how I did the foam replacement in my Kingfisher. It's home insulation foam paneling. The blue color is from covering the stern pieces with HDPE trash bags which provides fuel proofing.

foam blocks1.jpg

Attachments

• foam blocks1.jpg
    foam blocks1.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

You'll be good to go on the painted over epoxy, that's what we meant.

Probably not much of a market in CA for a motor that can't be used there. I don't know for sure but that old motor might have a different bolt pattern than the standard BIA pattern of the new motors. Just something to check when you get it off the transom.

The rigid foam board is great stuff for under deck flotation.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Probably not a great market for that motor. Being an electric shift model is undesirable as is not having tilt 'n trim. It could be worth up to $500 but not likely any more.

steve_latino

Cadet
This is how I did the foam replacement in my Kingfisher. It's home insulation foam paneling. The blue color is from covering the stern pieces with HDPE trash bags which provides fuel proofing.

Genius! I like that, its nice and neat and sure enough you solved the problem I was thinking of. My father and I argued about this yet again today....his thought was I needed it to be fuel proof....my comment was, it wasn't before and there was never an issue. Sadly I am an Engineer so everything I do is overkill, we have to have a factor of safety of like 10 on everything we do! Thanks!

steve_latino

Cadet
You'll be good to go on the painted over epoxy, that's what we meant.

Probably not much of a market in CA for a motor that can't be used there. I don't know for sure but that old motor might have a different bolt pattern than the standard BIA pattern of the new motors. Just something to check when you get it off the transom.

The rigid foam board is great stuff for under deck flotation.

Watermann...so I did a follow up on the issue of the transom. So he used the slow cure MAS thinned out to let it soak in and penetrate the wood, then did a second coat with the medium cure without it being thinned. Trust me, I will take all the advice I can get, because I am a total stranger to boat rebuilds. Appreciate the heads up and it led me to do a little more investigation!

Watermann

Just be sure you don't appear to be a boat noob and mark the packs of foam with a P and S rather than L and R. :lol:

steve_latino

Cadet
Probably not a great market for that motor. Being an electric shift model is undesirable as is not having tilt 'n trim. It could be worth up to $500 but not likely any more.

So my initial thoughts are confirmed...I guess I should just put an anchor chain and a rope on it and call it a day! :witless:

steve_latino

Cadet
Got some time this afternoon to run errands and get some lumber, casters and hardware....so I built a motor stand. Hopefully in the next week or two I can get the motor off the boat and out of the garage since my skeeter is just about done at the shop!:whoo:
Motor Stand 4.JPG Motor Stand 1.JPG Motor Stand 2.JPG Motor Stand 3.JPG

steve_latino

Cadet
No Title

Well, haven't been on here in awhile because I haven't had time to work on the boat. Last weekend we were in Las Vegas for National Finals Rodeo. Today it was actually raining here in Southern California (a rarity for sure!) so I decided it was time to take off the motor. Borrowed a hoist from a coworker and within a few hours...all mounted up on the stand. Just need to cover it and wheel it out in the backyard until spring. Maybe then I will work on getting it running and seeing if I can offload it.

Hoist 1.JPG Motor Off 2.JPG
Motor Off 1.JPG No Motor.JPG

Attachments

• photo256622.JPG
    photo256622.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256623.JPG
    photo256623.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256624.JPG
    photo256624.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 1