Dustless Blasting?

bunnymoney

Seaman
At my age spending 4-7 days at hard labor and spending possibly several hundred dollars for chemicals has sent me looking for an alternative. The videos I attached are from the people who sell the equipment (and maybe franchises). Non of the videos that I found are specifically on "Starcraft"s. The prices charged for this service are definitely coming from someone promoting the business model as a way to make money. I haven't personally checked yet with a semi-local service, however I feel there is a lot of room for price negotiation especially if you bring your boat to them and let them do it as a filler job.(I could be very wrong:confused:).

The guy in the first video used 6 50lb bags@ $10/ bag= $60 for media to get that truck into the shown condition.

This seems to be really fast and cool enough to not warp large flat surfaces. I read somewhere care still has to be take regarding pressure settings to avoid actual bending of flat surfaces.

​OK, I have no affiliation with any of these people. I'm just looking for a solution.

dustlessblasting.com has many videos to watch.

Auto-3.png

Auto-6.png

Auto-9.png

bunnymoney

Seaman
Well, I could not figure out exactly how to post a video that actually plays:).

They are worth watching at the website shown above.

Lew:)

Decker83

Commander
I have seen these videos before and they look great.. I have also seen some outrageous pricing for them here in Texas..
I'm 64 and did my 18 ft SS with less than 2 gallons of striper at a cost of $40.00 bucks.. Took me less than 48 hours..
I don't know how big your StarCraft is so I can't say much on that.. But I'm not willing to pay someone to do something I can do..:D
Good luck with your choice..

Prepmech

Seaman
I stripped a few spots on my boat using a sandblaster attachment on my pressure washer. It did a good job at cleaning the metal, and the water kept it from getting hot and warping. It does leave a pretty heavy etched texture to the surface, which isn't horrible if you are painting.

Using a good quality stripper, and the pressure washer to remove it was much faster, and didn't make nearly as much of a mess.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah I did 3 boats with stripper so far, for a total of 52' of boats and I'm a young 53. I used 3 gallons of Jasco stripper on my 18' SS, pressure washer with a 20 degree tip to remove and a couple 3M scrub pads with the handle. Transom is where most people like to start for some reason and for the love of god I have no idea why but that transom paint is beyond stubborn to get off. Mine took 4 applications while 2 for the sides and bottom to make it clean as a whistle. I don't know about the blasting and the finish it imparts on the AL and then there's the seams with sealant and that stuff getting impeded.

Here's a couple of 18'rs I stripped.

IMAG2152.jpg

IMAG0802.jpg

bunnymoney

Seaman
Those are definitely "clean as a whistle".:happy:

I am frugal (some would say cheap) and would definitely try to duplicate your work if I were your age. I am however into RMD's in my IRA. I like to consider myself somewhat creative and more of a "finish carpenter" than "ditch digger". I'm hoping when the time comes to get it done by one of those guys above for less than the cost of an ambulance ride and ER fees and without any of the pain and recovery time.:D

"Work fascinates me. I could sit and watch it for hours." I will also take lots of pictures.;)

Decker83

Commander
Well, I would think the ER fees now days would = to at least 10 blast jobs.. Don't want to see anyone going to the ER..(LOL)
Please do take lots of pics.. :lol: