Has anyone shortened a Starcraft?

bunnymoney

Seaman
As I age I'm not as sure-footed as I used to be.

As much as I love my repurposed Jetstar I wish it were deeper and wider.

There seems to be any number of older, larger Starcrafts (18 - 22') available on the market at any given time.

I was wondering if anyone had attempted to shorten one of these and how it may have turned out.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What do you want to do? Cut a 18-22 footer down to 15 feet? Shortening any tin boat is not a viable solution. You're better off finding a boat that suits your needs.

bunnymoney

Seaman
Could you be a little more specific about not being a viable solution?

Do you have any suggestions for something 13-15' with the width and depth specs of the 18 - 22' Starcraft models?

I'm looking, but not finding anything in the Pacific Northwest that's affordable. That's why i thought about shortening an old one.

GA_Boater

All you will be doing is making a tub by shortening a larger Starcraft. And it will handle like one.

As far as a short, wide, deep boat - I have no idea. Sorry.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
16ft supersport might fit that idea. No cutting needed and plenty wide.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Going to a "Concave" Deep-V (Holiday, SuperSports, etc) from the Semi-V that you currently might help with stability as well.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
22' SC's are tough to come by and the price of PNW tin is crazy high, I live in WA State and feel your pain. The level of difficulty in removing length from a riveted / seamed AL boat would be enormous and well beyond anything most of us backyard/garage boat re-builders could pull off. I would have to wonder about the safety of such a craft too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
look a bit further east of the PNW and prices are significantly less. make a weekend road trip out of it.

agreed, the effort to shorten a 22' boat to turn it into something that doesnt handle well simply doesnt make sense.

bunnymoney

Seaman
:D Thanks for the replies and ideas. I'm just ruminating here about any possibilities to improve my situation. I will not give up my Jetstar until I have something I consider better for me.

The exact length is dependent on what I can fit in my condo's garage. That LOA on the trailer is also dependent on being able to get the tailgate on my minivan open without hitting the winch or bow. I have no plans to move (been here 23 years) or change vehicles (been driving Chrysler minivans since '85).

My first boat since moving here in '92 was a Smokercraft 1644MV with a 2 stroke 15hp. It just fit in the garage and sat low enough on the trailer to clear the tailgate. I probably need to get some measurements of 16' Starcrafts with motors on trailers and decide if I can actually squeeze one in.

Hi gf-- :D, That's a maybe on the 16' SS. But I really like the dry storage options on my Jetstar.

Hi Waterman:D I've pretty much given up on any thought of shortening one of the "longer" 18 - 22' models. The LOA I was thinking about probably would not allow any possibility of the parts lining up after taking out 5'.:)

There seems to be any number of strange short boats "down under" but no import to the states.

OK, so I'm no purist. As beautiful as many of the restorations are in these forums that's not what I'm about. As a kid I worked on many AT' usually on the tail end of rivets on my fathers fleet of rental boats. My ears still ring. I also am very practical and creative. I have no delusions of speed records or concours events. After a lot of reading here I would guess most of the individual restorers do not work in metal fab jobs. I didn't either, but since originality and max speed are not my priority I am not intimidated by a missing rivet or area of corrosion. I'm reminded of the scene in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Kid: "I can't swim". Butch: "Hell, the fall will kill you". My Jetstar has rivets all over the gunwales and sides filling up old holes from 50 years of mods. Once they are painted , you don't notice them so much. Sitting in my Jetstar on the river yesterday I had to laugh when thinking about these forums. I could actually see out through holes in the sides from where I had moved the rod holders.

I'm thinking about 2 different possible ways to shorten a tin boat.

1) move transom forward
2) "telescope" the hull

I'm thinking 2' to 3' max ending up 13' - 14'

If anyone's still reading this I would appreciate further suggestions or flames if need be:)

Lew

Tnstratofam

Commander
I work in sheet metal and have worked on my SS and believe if I were going to attempt to shorten it I would consider moving the transom forward.

Remove the splashwell. Then the complete transom skin as a whole. Cut the hull where I want the new transom location to be trying to maintain the original transom angle. Trim the back stringers to mimick the distance from the old transom skin. Reinstall the transom skin, kneebrace, transom, and splashwell. Hope my math and geometry are correct. Reinstall the motor and take her for a ride.

Lots of work and math, but I believe it could be done.

Ofcourse I've only done minimal work ( Replaced the transom, and repaired a few rivets) to my Starcraft so I would divert to Wateemann, dozerII, Budski, jbcurt00, or some of the other more knowledgeable members who have actually torn down a tin boat and rebuilt them for a true opinion of whether shortening a Starcraft is wise or even doable.

jbcurt00

Staff member
As far as I know, no Starcraft maintains the transom width cross section as you move forward. Nor is there a straight section in every dimension that would allow you to slice the boat in 2 and slide 1 section into/over the other and simply overlap them.

If the gunwales dont flare out or get taller (additional freeboard) the hull bottom changes profile and gets 'deeper' at the keel w a changing amount of Vee as you move fore and aft.

And sounds like a ton of work. You'd have to gut the boat and rebuild it, after the huge task of making it shorter, esp given the details I mentioned above...

GA_Boater

Starcraft hulls have a taper, usually the transom is narrower than the beam. That makes moving the transom closer to the center messy. And of course makes cutting the middle and overlapping the hull another bad idea.

Since fitting the garage seems to be the primary motivation, have you looked at a folding tongue hinge?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I would probably rather find somewhere to store a larger boat than attempt the reconstruction that fits your need. But if you have the means and want the project it will probably be a first and would like to follow the project as you go on here! I know how ideas go for me. Even if its not exactly the best idea it is satisfying sitting around thinking, planning, executing, and researching. With out your need for speed or top notch cosmetic needs. Go for it! Just keep SAFETY in your mind! Over engineer if your cutting the end off one and making it shorter. That could make a stable boat like a tippy canoe I would think. Even with a light low HP power pant.

bunnymoney

Seaman
409-Proline-Angler-lifestyle-6.jpg

Thanks tnstratofam for a thoughtful opinion.

GA_Boater suggests what I'm trying to do would end up a tub and handle like one. I'm fine with that. I would like to end up with something similar in dimensions to this Stacer from AU above.

Hull length: 4.10m
Beam: 1.87m
Depth: 0.88m
Weight:255kg

Now if I could get a 16' squeezed dow to 13' -14'.:D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Beyond being a boat, an SC has very little in common w the shape of that Stacker

GA_Boater

You are looking for a deep and wide jon boat in the USA.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think you need 2 boats. One for the fore and the other for the aft. That could be a One from Two Starcraft. ;)

I'd hate to see a good tinny become a donor.

bunnymoney

Seaman
399-Proline-lifetsyle-3.jpg

I don't know where anyone can get the idea I'm looking for another jon boat by looking at the Stacer.

I like it's dimensions but not it's interior layout.

Sorry i missed posts 11, 12, & 13 while I as working on 14:)

Until I get conformation a 16' with motor will fit in my garage I will continue to ponder a shortening project.

I agree and realize that a SC changes it's dimensions throughout it's whole length.

From checking the dimensions in the various catalogs it's obvious to me a 14' SC is narrower and shallower than a 15' SC which in turn is narrower and shallower than a 16' SC.

If I expect greater width and depth than I currently have I must start with at least a 16'er.

If I started with a 16' I would ideally like to end up at 14'. It looks like too much work to end up at 15' and 13' may be asking the impossible unless i can get an aluminum transom cut and bent to shape or possibly cut and properly welded (with gussets and the like) on to the end of the hull.