1977 16ft SC Holiday re-do

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone. As the topic states, I am currently bringing up to par a 1977 Starcraft holiday 16. She's in a good state, sound comes to mind. I acquired this tinny from my recent house sale. It has been with the property since the home was built in '79 and been handed down to the next new homeowner from the prior one.....so i'm only the 3rd owner ;]]

She resides year round in a double boathouse along the shores of the mighty St. Lawrence river. Plagued cosmetically and non practically dated, I will bring her forward into the 21st century over the next 6 months or so. She has an enclosed bow now [which I find totally useless btw] plan on opening her up to house a raised bow casting deck. Also build a raised stern casting deck and equip her with 6 new swivel fishing seats on removable pedestals. Along with new flooring, new transom, and a permanent below deck 12 gallon fuel cell, live well at the stern and in floor storage lockers. My plan is to carpet all vertical rises and marine vinyl grade all floors with a fresh coat of exterior paint and incorporate a spiffy new stripe port and starboard [aft] side and a few eye catching fishing decals.

Structurally she is also sound. She presently is powered with a 1988 90hp Mariner elpto which I plan to sell here and replace with a new or near new 90hp 4stroke.
Having typed this, I will start the demo and reassess all decisions pending on what I find as the tear down progresses, LOL.

I have read soooo many interesting posts here and hope to gain wisdom and maybe use these past experiences in my resto in the future. It seems like a great friendly place to hash out ideas and certainly get the confidence to go forward whatever the hiccup that one task could bring. In closing, I applaud all who have partaken and contributed in this hobby.

No-AH {I can thank my wife for that handle as this is what she calls me when it's time to quit for the day!**
p.s pictures will come when I learn how to post them lol

Last edited by a moderator:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Welcome! Sounds like a great project. My 16' Jupiter was a closed bow and yeah it was a ton of wasted space. Couldn't wait to find an open bow SS for my next one. I went your planned route with the vinyl and carpet and have been pleased with the result. There has been a closed-to-open bow conversion done on here once or twice and at least one that someone bought already converted. I don't have any suggestions on that though but it's definitely do-able. Looking forward to the pics.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the link DeepBlue2010 had to refresh my memory....similar to other forums I guess.
ez, I have studied your jupiter and other projects and applaud you...great work!
I've pretty much read all of the Starcraft re-dos of late and am blown away with the quality workmanship shown in the makeovers.
Anxious and eager to get at mine....so here goes....

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sooooo I tried selling it for 1 day recently and after a barrage of tire kickers I decided to put it in the garage and ponder it's future.
BTW I was asking $1750 for the boat and motor as is and not willing to separate them, no trailer.
Had I fallen and bumped me noggin?
What say you?

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hate to ask a favour on my first day as a member, but could I have a Mod move this thread to the Starcraft boat section?
Thank you

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard Noah and to the Starmada!

A Holly to SSish open bow conversion, you might gain some useful insight into the bow-ectomy from StarTed and his current project.

Are you sure that it's only a 16'r? Looks like an 18 to me but maybe it's that tandem trailer that's causing the boat size to increase in the pics.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
:welcome: aboard Noah and to the Starmada!

A Holly to SSish open bow conversion, you might gain some useful insight into the bow-ectomy from StarTed and his current project.

Are you sure that it's only a 16'r? Looks like an 18 to me but maybe it's that tandem trailer that's causing the boat size to increase in the pics.

Thanks Watermann for the welcome.
As for the length of my Holiday, the decal on the port side dashboard and tin id plaque confirms itsa 16'
Though I've never measured it, hmmmm.
The trailer it's sitting on in that photo is one for my Monterey 228SI so it does make it look deceiving.
I've thoroughly enjoyed all of your re-dos/threads and bow to your expertise!

Old Irving

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome aboard No AH. I am still in progress with my restoration after a bit of hiatus this summer. Just post if you have questions. Post lots of photos because we love to see progress.

dozerII

Admiral
:welcome: to the tinsanity, great looking Holiday you have. I think you will find that a 4 stroke 90 is way to heavy for a 16' tinny.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome aboard No AH. I am still in progress with my restoration after a bit of hiatus this summer. Just post if you have questions. Post lots of photos because we love to see progress.

Thanks for the welcome Old Irving. Hiatus are a good thing for sanity.
My plan is to take this at an easy pace, want to do it right.
I have to remind myself to take pics though.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
:welcome: to the tinsanity, great looking Holiday you have. I think you will find that a 4 stroke 90 is way to heavy for a 16' tinny.

Thanks for the welcome dozerll. I've really enjoyed your re-dos, and value your [and all members] opinions. I agree the 90 will put me in the water a little deeper at the stern I'm sure, but I don't want to sacrifice going to a 75 as specs show the 75 is 1lb heavier. I think with my plan for 2 casting decks and fuel cell, plus the added structural components to achieve these, i'm afraid the 75 may labour. The 90 Mariner that's on there now does a good job for pleasure boating but sucks at trolling. It hates low rpms....all in all, I think the 75-80 lbs extra weight shouldn't be too bad a stress to a new transom and beefing up the splashwell?

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all. Thanks a bunch jb!

My nephew and a couple chums have been hard at the tear down. So far we've emptied everything not bolted down and completely 'bowsectomied' the al decking to expose the area for my future raised casting deck. Great success in accomplishing that. Still have all my digits and my helpers also scathed any injuries! Tools of choice were jigsaw, recip and grinder. The fear of cutting the decking and dash below the walk through windshield was a bit nerve racking i'll admit, but the recip with a 12" blade made quick work of it. Also, we removed the ugly brown hook snagging indoor/outdoor carpet and 5/8" p-t ply flooring. What I found so far is that the condition shows very little damage from exposure to the elements. Guess I can be thankful that it has seen most of the time sitting on lift in a boathouse for the last 39 years.
Pressure washed the interior and exterior whilst perched on a trailer. I have just made a spot for the next phase of the re-do which will be on floor jacks in my garage to inspect the hull. Onward and pics to follow.

Last edited:

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
So it's been 6 days that I began this project and am pleased with my progress thus far. I opted to not go moose hunting as we we'rent lucky in the adult draw this year. Oh well! So I ramped up the hours on the project. So far so good and no real 'surprises' to mention. I have misplaced my filled sd card from my camera that I used to take pics so far [ok lost]. Searched high and low for that rascal, even went through the oodles of garbage bags we had from the boats transformation hoping to find it. No luck! I have only used my phones camera sporadically, so I have limited pics to post unfortunately.
Thus far I have not seen any reason to thwart my ideas of moving forward into converting my boat to a modern day fishing machine.
Accomplished thus far,
complete transom and bow-ectomies,
removal of 5/8" ply flooring and ugly white foam board,
Identified missing, loose rivets to replace after leak test,
Replaced over 60 rivets on hull bottom,
gluvit all ribs and seams,
re-did leak test,
New foam board cut and laid in a 'stacked' configuration bow to stern below the floor in outer sides of 2 main stringers
titebonded 2 pcs 3/4" marine ply for new transom, not insalled.
cut new 3/4" exterior ply flooring with 2 coats spar, 2 coats killz primer/sealer, installed with new configuration. I want access to center portion of hull between the 2 bow to stern stringers [mid ship at aft and stern] for future locker and below floor belly fuel cell.
titebonded 2 pcs 3/4" marine ply for new transom.
Will post what pics I saved from my phone when I figure how to do so.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sounds like you've been busy. Have you checked the card reader in the computer for the SD? :lol:

What/how did you replace the rivets with on the bottom?

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
bow-ectomy
FullSizeRender.jpg
[/URL]

dash panel and oak bow stringers

Last edited: