Starcraft 16' Super Sport V Restoration (On a Shoe string buget!)

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good idea on when to start and tag the age of a re-do B.
Oh and BTW, happy belated.

Thanks for the belated! Just read threw your new thread. Interested to see how it will turn out if you keep it!:)

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well thought I should pay the "Mob" with my monthly dues.

I have not made much progress on the SS... The admirals "honey Do" list for the fall is been long. I have found some of the PO's work and need some input from the Mob. The 1st Pic is the Transom, he used screws instead of rivits. Doesn't seem Like a big deal but he used silicone instead of 5200 (not complaining about this), but the next few are from the bottom. Looks like tar, but feels like 5200. The entire width of the bottom of the boat at the corner of the transom and bottom about 4in. or so in width. I don't know what to do with it... Try and remove it, if it doesn't leak leave it? Can I paint over it and it stick?(I doubt it.) Just looking for some ideas!

Tnstratofam

Commander
The screws in the above pics are factory. They are actually machine screws that go through the outer skin, through the transom wood, and through a set of brackets in front of the transom wood. They are capped by a set of nlyock nuts.

The black stuff looks like marine tex or jb weld. I would clean it off and seal the seam from the inside with gluvit. There is a double row of rivets along that seam where the transom skin ties in with the hull. My guess is either some of the rivets are leaking or are flat out missing.

Tnstratofam

Commander
If there are rivets missing along that seam you should not use pop rivets to replace them. Solid rivets will hold that seam together better.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh boy another handy man in a can repair!

does-flex-seal-work.jpg

Strip that crud off, I would think chemical stripper might do a good job with that removal. Post some pics of the cleaned up seams to see if there's damaged or missing solid rivets. The proper way to seal up those seams is with gluvit on the inside.

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I have not paid my monthly dues to the MOB, So thought I would post up.... I pickup this Starcraft off of CL, yeah I know it's a Glasser but I got it for the windshield. My 16 SS doesn't have the center window on the walk thru windshield. This glasser also has few misc. gauges, switches and a steering wheel and cable that's in good shape. The cost wasn't bad neither... It was free!!!! :D Also he said he would deliver if someone was local.(I guess he was wanting off his trailer.) Contracted him and was going to just go get it, because he lives 20 mins.away. Guy said he was traveling my way to visit his cousin and brought to my house! Normally, this can't get any better.... Right????
Wrong!!!! I have made the admirals Naught List!!!!!!! Just as the guy is pulling in the yard... She comes outside, sees me smiling and another boat pulling in the drive. I think the quote was " I know your not bringing another damn boat in my yard!!!!"(This makes 3 now) Well of course I handled this well and said, " Yes I am!" (Not the correct reply!) Needless to say I really need to get started removing the windshield from the old Glass Starcraft and get it out of the yard. Shame too! I had been good all year and blew just before Christmas! Lol!:facepalm::laugh:
Merry Christmas to the Starmada!!!!!!!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Oh man, that tar stuff sucks. The thing is, like tnstratofam said, I can pretty much guarantee that it wasn't leaking from the transom seam itself unless solid rivets are missing or loose. I had silicone there when I got my boat, but the leaks were from loose rivets. Sorry man, that's gonna be a PITA to remove. Plastic scrapers and acetone? I dunno.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah the admiralty can be quite fickle when it comes to boat clutter about the home. I have 3 boats, extra trailer, parts and pieces all over. She keeps making plans for me to sell this or that and I look at her like she kicked me the jewels and the issue is averted for another month or so. I have the fear that one of these days she just might do it :lol:

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah the admiralty can be quite fickle when it comes to boat clutter about the home. I have 3 boats, extra trailer, parts and pieces all over. She keeps making plans for me to sell this or that and I look at her like she kicked me the jewels and the issue is averted for another month or so. I have the fear that one of these days she just might do it :lol:

Well normally I can pull off/buy about anything and not to much is said, but the boats seem to have a special way of getting under her skin. Oh well, she will change her tune when we go to the lake, but my big mouth will give her the "I told ya so" and I'll be back in the dog house again! What a vicious cycle!;)

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oh man, that tar stuff sucks. The thing is, like tnstratofam said, I can pretty much guarantee that it wasn't leaking from the transom seam itself unless solid rivets are missing or loose. I had silicone there when I got my boat, but the leaks were from loose rivets. Sorry man, that's gonna be a PITA to remove. Plastic scrapers and acetone? I dunno.

Your right about the PITA to remove. I tried a putty knife and was not making any headway. I was waiting til I flip it over to try different stripper/chemicals on it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The kick or a garage sale? LOL

Brackett221 - Grab the Jetson stern light - Don't let that get away!

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Whatever you do don't break or throw away the stern light lens, and even the pitted chrome parts of it should not go to the dump. Those lenses are like hen's teeth to find intact so save it. Also, the bow rail is just about the same as the one on the roof of my Chief cabin, including the short stanchions Too bad one side is cut. If you can get a few bucks for those on Ebay it might make things good again.

64osby

Admiral
Temporary clutter, with some nice money saving free extras.

No comparison to the " I saved $100...................................by spending $400. :eek:

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Whatever you do don't break or throw away the stern light lens, and even the pitted chrome parts of it should not go to the dump. Those lenses are like hen's teeth to find intact so save it. Also, the bow rail is just about the same as the one on the roof of my Chief cabin, including the short stanchions Too bad one side is cut. If you can get a few bucks for those on Ebay it might make things good again.

Will do!;)

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is a nice windshield. Good score!

I find it funny that you grab a boat and all someone can say is, "nice windsheild" the things we do for boats. I can't understand your wife's frustration? It makes perfect sense to me. Maybe bring the donors home one at a time from now on, if you get rid of this one quick you can score extra points with her and soften the blow when the next screaming donor deal floats by.

EDIT: what are those swivel bracket do dohickies on the gunnels? Trying to figure out what on earth they would be used for.