Is there any hope for her?

MoeMoe

Cadet
1976 18ft SS,my long time friend Lou and I became partners in this project,boat was complete when we got it and we immediately started the tear down about a month ago SAM_0586-1.jpg SAM_0580-1.jpg

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Oh there's always hope.....I think the formula is that it's directly proportional to how much you wanna spend. Something like that...

MoeMoe

Cadet
As a result of a consultation that I made here in the forum regarding some heavy corrosion in the rear lower corner of the hull,a closer inspection of the hull was suggested before getting deeper into it. SAM_0576-1.jpg

MoeMoe

Cadet
SAM_0614-1.jpg So this is what we found after flipping her over for a closer look under the paint. SAM_0615-1.jpg

MoeMoe

Cadet
SAM_0612-1.jpg We need help deciding wether to abandon this project,or to stick with her? These pictures show the rib at center of boat.SAM_0616-1.jpg SAM_0610-1.jpg

MoeMoe

Cadet
Inside looks like this.Removed a ton of nasty foam and all of the water trapped inside.SAM_0608-1.jpg

dozerII

Admiral
I'm thinking a real good clean up with a pressure washer and stiff scrub brush. Then one evening just after dark,one guy underneath with a strong light shining at the hull and one inside looking for signs of pitting holes compromising the hull. But for sure it looks like the keel strip will have to come off to check under it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
anything man-made can be remade. however that corrosion looks bad

jbcurt00

Staff member
I see a stripping party in your future.

Until you get the boat 100% bare, I couldnt judge whether to keep after it or scrap it. Based on the pix, it is likely to need extensive work, see ClassicCats SS rebuild.

Or Dozers work removing a keel strip on 1 of his projects.

Limited pix, remotely via the internet, it can be extremely difficult to assess some damage.

A few pin holes or hundreds spread across a 3SqFt area versus a 10SqFt area.

Can it be fixed? Absolutely. Simply takes time and money and a pile of want to. The last 2 are often what dictates a projects completion.

Ask about the peoject rigs around my boat yard. Rarely have the time, usually short on the money, so I'm big on patience, waiting to dig in to them. What I have most is the want to.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I see some suspect areas but also see some nice areas. I think a good cleaning and maybe even a bead blast would remove the paint to examine it better. But unless you have some real serious issues, I can see a nice refurbished boat in the future. It all depends on your abilities and the ability to clean the paint off. Certainly there are areas that will need some work to repair. But that is how all boat projects go. So many boats get refurbished on these forums. You just have to decide if you want to put the work and money into that effort. JMHO

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the Starmada MoeMoe :wave:

I agree that you need to do the clean up work first and then assess the condition from there as it;s tough to tell with so much gunk covering up the surfaces.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
+1...Clean her up to better assess the extent of the corrosion.

Did you perform a leak-check prior to flipping?

Pour-in foam on the interior & what appears to be a poorly-adhered 2-part epoxy paint on the exterior. Both like to trap water against aluminum.

MoeMoe

Cadet
We are in the process of removing the exterior paint.I will post more pictures as soon as we have a bare hull.Thanks to everyone.I saw what you did to your 75 ss classiccat,absolutely mind blowing.