Was just given a Starcraft, help with identity.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Possibly, I think WM was merely prompting you to consider money spent on it to 'see' if its a stuck ring...

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I see,... I wasnt planning on spending any money except $17 for the carb kit, which I will need to get it running.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Head over to the Mercruiser forum if you have questions or want more info about the possible cause of a low cylinder

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Hmm,...just trying to share my resto project with you all, like so many others do here..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Shaw - What JB is saying is that we know Starcraft boats, but the the Mercruiser section has the guys that know Mercruisers. That's the reason for the suggestion to go over to the MC section to get advice about the motor.

It's all about using the specialization and knowledge in the various areas of the forum. For example, some of the Mercruiser guys don't look at any other part of the forum, so you have to go to them.

Hope that makes sense.

About having one low hole - Getting her running after sitting so long and then checking compression again isn't a bad idea. Running up to normal operating temp can free some sticky rings, but it may not. You won't know until you try. Also you can squirt some oil in each plug hole and test compression again.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
thank you GA,.. like so many others our enthusism can be rewarding by documenting our experinces here. Ive been a member here going on 7 yrs and have documented at least 3 other restores. I also use the MC section often when trouble shooting engine and outdrive stuff, but this thread is all about bring a 69 vintage runabout back to life. Once i get the carb rebuilt there is now doubt in my mind that this old girl wont see more days on the water... a great fish and ski boat for my kids to use.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Why do you say Failure is on the horizon ? please elaborate.

I guess everything has been said that needs to be, I assumed you thought the low compression number was a problem too. Maybe the guy who rebuilt it lined up the gaps in the rings and running it will rattle them around or just allow them to set if they're not. Could be a valve not adjusted right too. Or something is wrong with that cylinder. All I know is that with everything set up correctly a low compression number on one cylinder is never the sign of healthy motor.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
All I know is that with everything set up correctly a low compression number on one cylinder is never the sign of healthy motor.
....and on a running motor I would agree with that,... but this is more likely a sticky ring or sticky valve due to the motor sitting for 5 yrs,

(the power of positive thinking can influence the spirits within these vintage vessels) ;-)

jbcurt00

Staff member
.......(the power of positive thinking can influence the spirits within these vintage vessels) ;-)

So ^^^ say many of the fiberglass boat guys, but not usually about motors.....

Hope it is a sticky ring. Dont forgo looking at donor boats though, just in case.....

Watermann

....and on a running motor I would agree with that,... but this is more likely a sticky ring or sticky valve due to the motor sitting for 5 yrs,

(the power of positive thinking can influence the spirits within these vintage vessels) ;-)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and be watching to see how everything turns out. :)

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
carb.jpg carb1.jpg Well,.. I'm certainly not breaking any speed records on this project, but I would like to splash it in Norwalk for some Nov. blue fishing,..
Carb is rebuilt and ready to mount to intake. Next will be points, Cap,and wires.

Last edited:

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Ok,.. got carb bolted back on... had high hopes of getting it started today,... a bit more Marvel in each cylinder, filled carb bowl with fuel, a couple of dribbles down the throat of the intake,... fresh battery on the charger over night,.. hydraulic trim motor working with good strength,.. go to engage the starter and it BARLEY turns motor over!!,. real slow cranking,.. take the plugs back out to reduce compression and it'll turn over but way too slow, with no plugs in it should spin freely but its not,.. very labored to turn over,.. I can turn it over by hand with a large screw driver levering on the front pully,.. but not with the started. So,.. next step is to pull starter and make sure IT'S not the cause of slow turning or is the motor is just THAT tight from sitting,.. hoping its the former,

Watermann

Check connections and the cable first. Is it an old style field coil starter? If starter is bad think about going to the newer high torque permanent magnet starters. Just know that if you do upgrade starters you'll need shorter bolts to mount it.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Good advise WM,... First thing to do is pull starter ,... but mother nature had other plans for us today... good new is supposed to go back up into the 60's next week.

Attachments

• photo254551.jpg
    photo254551.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Hey Shaw520 - Where are you located? I used to work at Chalk's some 30 years back. We even used a Sunbruiser (our nickname) for a taxi when I worked there. Great River boats! I still live in the Landing....

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
CW,.. Im on the Hudson River,.. Hyde Park NY,.. to be exact. I got this 'Sunbruiser' from a neighbor who's dad died. The Hudson is big here, 5 miles wide in spots,.. and very deep in other spots (Ive marked 175' ft near West Point but Im sure its deeper. Should be a fun little river runner,... if I get it running !

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Well its been over a yr since my last post on this project,...but my son and I have started once again on it, To pickup where I left off, the old starter was bad, I put a new high torque starter in and it turns over nice. I took a while to find a 'no spark' situation, turned out to be the interupter switch located on the transom plate, Once we got spark it fired right up !,.... at the time the video was taken we literally JUST got it started for the first time, we didnt have the fuel cells in yet so my son was dribbling fuel into the bowl to keep it running. We have since hooked up the fuel cells, installed the outdrive, and it runs absolutely perfect with just a touch of the key. Re-checked compression after running and all six cylinders are between 118-125 psi. The motor sounds excellent. We discover some minor soft spots in the floor so out it came, stringers were rotted, so we removed everything below deck and filled all cavity with either spray foam or 2" rigid board foam. I forgot to take more detailed photos of the stringers, got so involved. Im having a difficult time uploading the video of the engine running, but I'll keep trying.

Attachments

• photo293798.jpg
    photo293798.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo293799.jpg
    photo293799.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo293800.jpg
    photo293800.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Shaw520 - Where are you located? I used to work at Chalk's some 30 years back. We even used a Sunbruiser (our nickname) for a taxi when I worked there. Great River boats! I still live in the Landing....

This is very interesting piece of information,... did you guys sell alot of the Suncruisers, although this was before your time there at Chalk's, I havnt seen many of the 20v's around in puke yellow ! Did you see the link to the one sold in one of the above post ?