How do you guys do it????

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
There are so many interesting SC's posted and they all could use some lov'un, how do you pick just one (or 2 or x) ?.

And they all invariably have rotten wood, a better solution is obviously needed. Something non-wood that can handle getting wet without rotting.

Dan

it gets hard to look at all the "sick" SC's after awhile

Pusher

Lieutenant
The solution would be to buy an all aluminum welded boat and let the lost souls rest. That plan requires money to enact though.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Most of us dont pick just 1 or 2.

MBS runs deep AND wide in this bunch.......

Multiple
Boat
Syndrome

Tnstratofam

Commander
There are so many interesting SC's posted and they all could use some lov'un, how do you pick just one (or 2 or x) ?.

And they all invariably have rotten wood, a better solution is obviously needed. Something non-wood that can handle getting wet without rotting.

Dan

When I see them I see the beauty that hides underneath. I'm always on the hunt for the next beat up old boat I can try and sneak in past the Admiral. The Starcraft's have found a special place in my heart as I learned so much about their construction when I replaced the transom in our SS. For me they deserve a second chance, and even though their are much better restorers out there ( dozerII, waterman, budski, to name a few ) I will do my part in keeping these old boats floating.

MBS! Oh yeah I've got it, and Love it!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Dan

Guess you figured out the answer to your question, it's due to our love at first sight no matter what the old tub's condition.

Rotten plywood from the 1960's and 70's doesn't sound odd to me when I find the boat sitting uncovered for the past 15-20 years. Abuse and neglect in the back yard is what makes a boat go downhill it's not being on the water. Most boats 'marine environment' is 99% of it's time spent in the driveway being ravaged by the elements.

What makes me ill is driving by a guys house by me with a brand new 40k Smokercraft and seeing it sitting there uncovered out in the open in a downpour and the next week sitting in the same spot when it's a blistering 100 degrees.

Welded boats are not the end all either but maybe some day I'll find me a decent priced 40 year old Starweld to rebuild.

dozerII

Admiral
Funny how $200. Cover and a little support can make 40 year old plywood still use able. The alternative is whole bunch of these awesome hulls with mulch interiors waiting for us to restore at a fraction of the cost of a new comparable boat

Pusher

Lieutenant
What's even worse is leaving the new smoker craft out in the elements WITH THE BIMINI TOP UP!!!! Uggghhhhhh

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I just realized my mbs the other day when i looked up and all three were in the driveway........

The Carver usuallly stay in storage the loanstar and fishing boat in the barn. Its easy to deny when they are not all gathered in one place

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, I passed on 2 boats this week. That $250 Starcraft 18 footer with 40HP motor and trailer was just screaming at me. But I had a very large caliber frying pan aimed squarely at my head so I had to let it slide by.

On the other hand, there was a 15' glasser bass boat with a running 48HP Johnson SPL for sale or trade. The owner wanted a large riding mower and I have mine for sale at the same price. My wife actually liked the boat a lot and wanted us to move forward and after we got the bass boat, she said we could sell our Kingfisher! :eek:

The boy jumped up and said "You can't sell that boat! I worked my butt off on that boat!!" :argue:​ :nono: It's true though. He really did. :lol:

That bass boat didn't include a trailer and was 80 miles away and I really didn't feel like messing with it at all. And I do like the Kingfisher a lot too! So I passed on that one as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Ya, Ya, MBS is here too, with a '70 16 SS that got a new floor 30 years ago, and a S16 Lund fishing boat, plus a fleet of canoes.
And I passed this weekend on a nice Merc 115, as it just doesn't fit any possible future boating plan. At this point, the most likely additions would be a pontoon, to keep the wife and GK's happy, or a SS181 w/140 for me.

Dan