1967 Starcraft Starchief rebuild

Mike B 1979

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm new to this so please cut me some slack, and if I posted in the wrong section then please let me know. Ok, that being said, I have a 1967 Starcraft Starchief given to me by my Uncle. I'm going to be rebuilding and restoring, and this is the best place to post, I've read so many other post, and this place is full of knowledge, let the good times roll, or float in this case :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the TinMadness support group, Mike. You are in the right place!

Photos are required for admission to the Starmada. :D

What is powering your new StarChief?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome Mike! :welcome:

You've definitely come to the right place!

You'll have to make a few more posts before you can post photos.

Warning: the longer you wait, the more cantankerous the mob becomes! :D

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Great! Another '67 Starchief. I am looking forward to your project, and you will get plenty of good advice here and no hassles like some other places. Mine is a '67 too, so we can compare notes.

Ron

Mike B 1979

Cadet
I've put it in the water twice now and the first time it ran okay except for some minor issues. Second outing this past Saturday wasn't so pleasing.

Mike B 1979

Cadet
It has a pretty major oil leak that needs attention, motor also stalled out 3 times in the middle of the lake also when I throttle up or down. So I spent Sunday gutting the boat, prepping for rebuild. Money is tight so this will be a long process, probably won't see many changes until next summer.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Nice. Original color if not original paint, and still has the black vinyl on the cabin sides. This has usually perished and peeled off so you may have one that has had some care. The lower windshield was not two piece, so that may have been replaced. No upper windshield unless you have removed it. If I was you I would look for one. I was out yesterday and it really helped with the spray and late September cool air. A couple of our posters have decapitated their Chiefs, so they may have one that fits, though the shipping would be tough.

Take lots of pictures as you deconstruct, so you can look back for reference later. Here's hoping you find no unpleasant surprises below that deck.

Ron

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
It's good that you got a few runs in...now you know what you're dealing with!

good lookin' rig and it appears that most of the original hardware (minus upper windshield) is there and intact...including the purple jetson's stern light. :thumb:

delms82

Seaman
I have spare upper windshield from a 1971 chief if interested. Glass and frame good condition.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Smart, I was able to do the same, test motor know and what you got to work with. Then dis-assemble at your own pace, my advice pace yourself and enjoy your project.

Mike B 1979

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice everyone! To answer some questions. .. the deck is solid, it's all aluminum, the hard part is trying to remove the old carpet, the original glue was applied with a tile trowel, so it's THICK! :( but that's okay, slow but surley.

It did not come with the upper windshield, and that might be something I'll consider in the future.

I need advice on where to get parts and gaskets to rebuild the Mercruiser engine. I'm having trouble finding websites with parts.

I'm thinking about repainting it, I found this picture online and I really like the look of this paint with the tinted windows.

Also is their a way to fix a sticky throttle? Or is it better to just replace it?

Thanks again!

Mike

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Mike :wave:

Oh yeah finally an IO Chief in dry dock! Lots of OB models recently so I'm looking forward to seeing your IO get some love. :D

Old stuff like the controls can either be worn out or just gummed up with crud, put it on your tear down list for the winter months.

starry-eyed

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome, Mike. I am a newbie to the group also and encourage you to stay the course. I just discovered my transom woes and subsequent de-construction.

Mike B 1979

Cadet
I was able to get all of the old carpet removed today, and yes, the deck is aluminum, no rotten wood helps a lot.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Lots of work done on her already I see with the custom dog house and AL decking. What sort of flotation is under the deck?