Yellow Submarine

pckeen

Commander
I'm set up with a buddy to remove the motor on Friday. Got the windshield off tonight. Looks like it was riveted and JB welded on. One foot in front of the other. I've never done serious bodywork before - any suggestions for what I should do with that crease in the side? Right in the center of the photograph.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
I knocked out a few smAllee dings but from what I've read on here you don't want to work the aluminum too much or it becomes brittle. I would probably just leave it alone.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've used marine tex to fill in dents but I suck at body and fender work so all it's done is made the dent less noticeable.

dozerII

Admiral
If you dolly the dent out, someone on here posted a method for annealing the aluminum to re soften it.

Decker83

Commander
I have watched some youtube vids where they were working on aluminum fenders. They would use a oxygen/acetylene torch with a rosebud tip.
They turned on the acetylene only and run the flame over the area to be worked on. This would leave a black smoke on the aluminum. Then they
would turn the oxygen on and adjust the flame and run the flame over the blacken aluminum just long enough to burn off the black smoke.
This would heat the aluminum enough to anneal the aluminum so you can work it..
Hope the makes since.

pckeen

Commander
Thanks - sounds complicated but I guess just bashing it with a hammer with a flat plank on the otherside isn't going to work (my first idea).

Some more progress today. Came out easily - once the wiring and throttle cables are disconnected, four bolts hold the motor in place. Two in the front, where the front mount is, and two at the back, mounting the motor onto the transom housing. Only complication is the starter has to come out to get access to one of the transom mounting bracket.

Watermann

That's one big heavy chore out of the way now. Is the six toast?

pckeen

Commander
So quick update.....

The Yellow Submarine is on the back burner for the rest of this year - right now it's sitting outside.....in the yard of our new house.

Found our dream house - a really solid house on a couple of acres on the lake, with its own boat launch, room for a sauna, heated workshop, and two three car garages....

But.....the new house needs or neded new windows, doors, siding, couple of new roofs, a new Sauna, new deck, new flooring, the old dock ripped out and new one put in, new lakefront deck, some landscaping, and an old interior hot tub cut out and replaced, new workshop heater, new HVAC system, new air conditioning, relocation of the furnace, and repairs to the concrete boat launch.

So far, we've ripped out and replaced the dock, poured sona tubes for the deck, built a lakeside deck, built a sauna & deck (interior done, exterior to be completed next year), replaced two roofs, replaced the flooring in the kids room, removed the old hot tub, repainted, removed some ceilings, replaced some kitchen cabinet doors, completed the landscaping....and a few more things.... As you can imagine, the Yellow Submarine is waiting patiently outside.

It's been a busy year.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ya didn't have a minute or two to devote to the Yellow Submarine? LOL

You've been busy, Peter. Building/replacing a dock counts as boat work - Always need a place to tie her up. :wink:

Decker83

Commander
WOW!! after reading that post, I need a vacation..:laugh:
Glad to hear you found your dream home.. The Yellow Submarine may get a little lonely with all the other work going
on beside her.. But I'm sure she'll be waiting for you to get back to her..:couch2:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Wowsers! You've definitely been busy. Sounds like a great score! :)

The boat will be there when you're ready.

Watermann

Congrats on the dream home to go along with the dream boat!

pckeen

Commander
Just thought I'd drop back by for a quick visit. Sauna built and wired. Deck built. Rot in front wall of house that was found when we removed the siding for a ledger board repaired. Boat ramp repaired. New dock is in. Boat lift assembled and in. New flooring in kids bedrooms in. Lakeside deck built. Sauna deck built. Upstairs bathroom renovated. Indoor hot tub removed. Lakeside shed foundation installed and shed built. Furnace moved. New hot water system in. Firepit built. Swingset built. Old trees in the process of being removed. New A/C system in. All roofs now re-shingled (thanks Mom). Interior light switches, painting, and crown moulding in (thanks Dad). Some new garage doors in, some still waiting to be installed. Walls knocked down to make a better workshop in heated workshop. Heating in workshop installed. Stairs to deck installed. So we are about half way through the renovation at this point. At some point I'll have to post pics...

Watermann

There sure was a bunch of work in the way of the yellow sub, where's it on the to do list now?

pckeen

Commander
Probably nothing happening on it until next year at the earliest. I'm actually thinking I'm going to have to replace the vinyl on my regular roundabout (67 Starcraft) first. The wood is solid and no leaks in it, so no need to do a restoration....

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Glad you stopped back by... I was wondering about the progress. Thanks for the update! :)